• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing African Safari 2012

Jerry m

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2003
Glen Burnie MD
I did not compete much last year saving money for this trip and it took me a while to write this up: My African Safari Summer 2012

Tuesday July 31, 2012
Arrived at Johannesburg International (TAMBO) Airport 5:30 PM local time; collected our baggage, cleared Customs and the South African Police with approved firearms import license and my rifle and was met by the owners of Warthog Safari. We drove to the lodge approximately four and one half hours, with a short stop for a hamburger, the last hour on a dirt road at about 50 to 60 miles an hour, which was the slowest we traveled. On the ride we saw a Jackal and very large Hare.

My wife and I arrived at the lodge to find a very nice thatched grass roof brick cottage with a ¾ bathroom; Queen sized bed complete with taxidermy mounts where we would spend the week.

DSC03841.jpg

Wednesday August 1, 2012
In the morning after a light breakfast and I checked the zero of my rifle, it was right on. I was shooting a 25 year old Remington 700 that had been bedded into a Brown Precision fiberglass stock, 2.5X8 Leupold Scope with a detachable sling. While I have not hunted much with this rifle I have practiced fairly regularly with it and a .270 Winchester I have set up identically to it except for a 3.5X10 Leupold. Fairly regularly means that I have shot 2,300 full charge hunting loads through these rifles (combined) in the past five years. I was shooting hand loaded 180 grain Nosler Partitions.

After breakfast we drove around the property, we saw: Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Cape buffalo, Kudo, Eland, Sable, Mongoose, Zebra running full tilt through the woods, Warthogs on the drive and again later small ones can into the compound to eat the grass around the pool, and Giraffe. The Giraffe was a group that consisted of a huge male approximated 17 feet high, two smaller females (they hide is a much lighter color than the male) and a small one about 10 feet tall.

DSC03685.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

We came back to the lodge for brunch and after meeting my Professional Hunter Flippie we went out and hunted in a blind that afternoon, but saw nothing noteworthy to shoot. The blinds we shot from were constructed of either stone or brick with a roof, door, windows, chairs and usually a rubber mat on the cement floor to muffle the sound. They were large enough to move around in without spooking game. They were all situated very near waterholes, either natural or manmade ponds.

DSC00907.jpg

Thursday August 2, 2012
Drove around briefly in the morning then stopped by a watering hole. There were 16 Kudos including several young bucks that ran off when we arrived. We set up in a very comfortable brick blind that overlooked the water hole. Warthogs came in there were 4 females and three little ones that came in and milled about. Impala visited the watering hole next including one buck (too small per my PH Flippie) and several does.

DSC00833.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

We went back to the lodge for brunch and came back to that Blind/Waterhole for the afternoon hunt. We saw more Kudo, a beautiful mature Waterbuck (which I could not afford to shoot); and a doe Waterbuck. Later in the afternoon, a heard of Blue Wildebeest came in to drink. I shot a mature old buck at 35 yard; one shot into the chest with the thing looking straight at me. At the shot the heard trotted off to the right, there was no visible reaction from the bull I shot. I tried to get another shot off, but the bull was in the middle of the heard at that point and I was worried about shooting through him and wounding another animal. My PH ask me in a concerned voice where I shot him? He did not see me zero my rifle and was questioning my shot placement. In talking to him later it appears that some people going to Africa can not shoot or have no experience shooting. An interesting note is that on the first morning, my host lent me a book “The Perfect Shot” by Kevin Robertson on shot placement on African animals. You would be surprised how far forward the heart and lungs are located on these animals compared to a deer or Black Bear. If you shoot behind the shoulder on these animals you may miss the vitals. It is that much different.

Also a mature Duiker came in from the back of the blind. It was literally 3 yard in front of the observation window. My PH wanted me to shoot it, as it was a mature buck. I let it go. I was not willing to spend the $400 trophy fee for it. For those who have never seen one they are about 20 inches tall and look like they weigh about 30 pounds (guess on my part). While I know the Tiny 10 is hunted with great vigor, I have no interest in shooting these small Antelopes. Nothing against those who do, it just not my thing. We hunted till dark in the blind. This was my wife’s very first hunting experience; she did fine except it was hard for her to sit still for hours. She even wore her white hunting shirt.

DSC00828.jpg

Friday August 3, 2012
While driving out to the blind we saw a group of four White Rhinoceros there was a large male (estimated to weigh 6,000 pounds) two females and a smaller one (the smaller one was still the size of a Buick). Later we saw the large male in front of a group of Cape Buffalos, he dwarfed them! It was fantastic to see.

DSC00838.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

We when to the stone blind. After we got situated I snuck out the back to pee. Of course coming back I spooked two antelopes. To be honest I am not ever sure what specie they were, there are so many different variety in South Africa.

Re: African Safari 2012

Very shortly thereafter we had animals visiting. We had some Kudo, a female Warthog with two little ones and then a troop of Baboons. The females came in first followed by the babies and smaller males. Then a huge male came in, he was eight or nine inches taller that the surrounding Baboons! He was facing away from me and I shot him. (The 180 grain Nosler Partition expanded and going from his back, blew out the contents of his heart and lungs. He was DRT)

DSC03796.jpg

That afternoon, we returned to that blind we saw Kudo, a female Warthog and two little ones, birds and some Impala. Most of the Impala were female but Flippie was looking at the one large male in the group, but decided to wait and see if we could do better.

Saturday August 4, 2012
Hunted in the same blind as yesterday, my wife slept in so it was me and the Professional Hunter. We saw a few Warthogs females and their young. Then about 20 Impala came in to drink. All were does and small juvenile bucks. They moved about the waterhole within 10 feet of the blind. Then two large male Warthogs came in. I only saw the first one from my window in the blind. Flippie gave me a thumbs-up to shoot. I drilled the larger one, taking out his near shoulder. He rolled over and slid into the pond, dead. Again flawless performance of the Nosler Partition bullets. We took pictures and came in for brunch.

DSC00855.jpg

After lunch Flippe asked if I wanted to go to the blind and shoot an Impala. I said at 2:30 PM? He said now. We got ready and left. We drove to the same blind and there were two mature (to me) Sables at the water. We got into the blind and two Wildebeests came into the water. Then a female Warthog and babies came in. At 2:00 PM, figuring that we would be there until 6:00 PM, I got up and stretch. But when I did a mature Impala buck came in. I struggled to get my rifle and get into shooting position quietly and without being seen, he was on the close side of the waterhole. I eased off my safety quietly, but my hand hit the sling, which caused the sling swivel to tap against the fiberglass stock, this spooked the Impala. I snapped off a shot and the thing ran off. Flippie again asked me where I shot him. I said I got him, thinking to myself ‘of course I shot him through the heart, he was only 25 yards away’. Again, the lungs on these animals are much further forward than you would expect on a Whitetail deer of similar size. We waited about 10 minutes, and went outside the blind and saw blood. We followed the blood and saw him dead about 30 yards from where I shot. Flippe said it was the perfect shot for the angle.

DSC00872.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

Sunday August 5, 2012

While there I decided that I would like to try and take a Zebra. I had seen a herd running in the distance the first day we drove around, so I knew there were some in the area. Flippie said that we had to stalk Zebra, they do not visit the blind. So me and Flippe walked, my wife stayed back at the lodge. We walked for three hours in the morning and saw two Eland, one of which was a huge bull, four Giraffes, lot of Kudo, lots of Warthogs, lots of Impala, and a Red Hartebeest. We also found the fresh killed remains of a Red Hartebeest that got caught in the ‘V’ of a tree and was eaten. We saw tracks from Jackal and Hyena.

That afternoon we went out about 3:00 PM and walked again, this time for about two and a half hours. We saw Warthogs, impala and a magnificent Kudo estimated at 50 inches by Filppie. No luck on the Zebra. We saw two nice Impala bucks on the drive back to the lodge.

Monday August 6, 2012

In the morning, we went out to the blind with the intention of shooting another Wildebeest. We saw 7 or 8 Wildebeests, all young not trophy quality. Had Kudo and Impala – one buck not as big as the one I killed come into the water. Flippe saw a nice Warthog, but I could not see him. Before I could move to the other window in the blind the Wildebeest had run him off. The Wildebeest kept scaring the Kudo off, including a 50 or so inch high, very wide horned Kudo bull. The Wildebeest ate and drank their full, running off other animals as they choose. They left and a large bull Kudo came in. He ran off the other Kudo, several Impala. A female Waterbuck with two fawns came in from the right side where there were rocks between them on the rim of the pond away from the Kudo. Impala came in from the back side of the pond as .well only about 10 to 15 yards away from us. Two Warthogs came in as well. There were Ginny fowl in the area as well. Their call sounds like someone snoring. I had to check and make sure my wife was awake, it was the birds. When the large bull Kudo finished, two smaller bulls came in to drink. But, not before they put on a display for us to watch of them sparring. They sparred for several minutes before drinking and moving on.

That afternoon I decided to try for Gemsbuck as several others had been killed that week. We drove around until we saw the herd. They were about 170 yards away milling about in the dirt road. They were bunched up and I could not get a clear shot. I wanted to be sure to only hit one animal and was certain that the bullet would easily pass through a Gemsbuck and wound another. They did not wait around and were into the heavy brush in seconds. We drove around and saw two large Gemsbucks and tried a stalk. We hiked for 45 minutes never seeing them again. it was very thick. While walking, we came around a corner and 80 yards in front of use was a huge Cape Buffalo. Flippie only had his pistol and I had my .30-06. I was looking for a nearby tree to climb. Filppie again reminded me that the reason he carries a pistol is to ‘knee-cap’ his clients so he can get away in situations like this. Really we were not in any danger, Flippie kicked dust up off the road so the bull could see and smell us. That did the trick and the Buffalo took off for the thick stuff. We got back into the truck and drove some more. We spotted two more Gemsbucks and again tried to stalk, this time until dusk. They just seem to vanish in the thick brush.

Tuesday August 7, 2012

What a glorious day, we hunted Gemsbuck in the morning. We walked and stalked for 3 hours and I was finally able to get a shot. The Gemsbuck were about 70 yards off the dirt path, as we came out of the brush, and turned left to go down. Flippie immediately saw them and signaled for me to get down. With no time for shooting sticks, he asked me if I was okay taking the shot kneeling; if so take the animal on the left. I sent lead and the Gemsbuck ran off. Flippie asked me how the shot felt and I said “good!” Flippie called the Tracker on the raido to meet us, because it was so thick. He also got his rifle from the truck as the day before another Professional Hunter was attacked by a Gemsbuck that was wounded two days previous by another hunter in our camp. Apparently, Gemsbuck take it personal when shot.

While waiting for the Tracker I am looking at all this blood on the ground and thinking to myself a blind man could follow this trail. But, as not to deter from the custom in South Africa to use a Tracker, I did not object. The animal ran in a semi-circle and was dead within 20 yards. We followed the blood trail which was sufficient the entire way. I had double lunged the animal with my shot.
DSC03864.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

We stayed in the field, and did not return to camp for brunch. The cook had prepared us a picnic basket with Kudo melt sandwiches (just like tuna melts, but with Kudo meat). We went back to the blind we had used earlier. Almost immediately after getting settled we had a visit from Warthogs. They we had Kudo, both females and young bucks. They stayed there for over an hour, drinking and feeding on grass. Then they all alerted and put up their ears and looked away from the blind. They quickly left. Shortly thereafter I saw a large shadow from the window I was stationed behind. I eased over and there was a large Rhinoceros 22 yards in front of me! It was awesome to have such a large beast so close! It was a large female. She got nervous, our PH motioned that she could smell us. She moved out after a few minutes and three large Warthogs came in. I shot the male with the largest tusks. I was starting to get cold. After all the hiking we had done in the morning, I was sweated up. I forgot my heavier jacket and had left it in the hunting vehicle, when the Tracker drop us at the blind. The Warthog was quartering to me at 30 yards. I shot it through the heart. It ran 20 yards and expired.

DSC03898.jpg

DSC03908.jpg

We called for the Tracker to retrieve us while we took pictures for the Warthogs. Before it arrived I had stationed my wife partway up the hill to watch for the return of the Rhinoceros, while the PH took photographs, we did not want to get surprised. It is amazing how quietly they can move on rocky ground. When the truck arrived we carried my rifle and gear back to the truck. I went back to the Warthog to help the Flippie and the Tracker carry the animal to the truck. It was rocky, with 2 to 3 foot boulders that needed to be crossed. When we got to the animal there were 5 Rhinoceros at 33 yards, I had kept my range finder. Flippie said to make a run for the rock pile about 20 yards away, and find a crevice to hid in, if they come closer. The Tracker started to move toward the Rhinoceros shouting and throwing sticks. That did the trick and they moved off, but, it was exciting for a while.

Wednesday August 8, 2012
Wednesday was our departure date. We got up and said good-bye to everyone and left for town. We made several stops, which we agreed to to look for a piece for a 4-wheeler. We also stopped at very nice souvenir shop. Then made our way to the taxidermist shop. We went to Highveld Taxidermists in Erasmia. We were met by a lovely lady named Lisa who gave us a tour of the facility. It was huge, there were dozens of people working there. We saw hundreds of animals in various stages of completion, including a huge male record book lion, full size mount of course, that was being ready for crating and shipment. After we left there was a Velvet Monkey outside the taxidermist on the side of the road.

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00927-1.jpg

Very nice pics. Africa is on the top of my list of places to hunt and experience.

Great Pic's. I would love to do that some time. As soon as the kids are off at college I'm off to Africa.

Looks like you had a great trip.
Lisa at Highveld is top notch to work with. They do great work. Every mount they have done for me is excellent.

Great report and I hope to do the same type of trip sometime in the next few years.

Thanks for the write up and the pics! Congrats on a great adventure!