• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing African Safari 2013 - Namibia

robozebra

Doc
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City OK
We returned from our safari yesterday. Wanted to give an update on the trip.

Flew from Denver to NY. Customs in NY was a little rough, but not too bad. The cops were arrogant and rude, but at least we got through. Then to Johannesburg and on to Windhoek. I expected a long process of getting rifles into Namibia, but it turned out to be very easy. Claiming luggage and getting rifle permit took about 10 minutes. It took much longer getting rifles on flight in Denver and then through NY.

We then drove to Okahandja for our first night. We used African Days for the trip. They have a beautiful bed and breakfast in Okahandja called Khaya Guest House. Great food and a comfortable bed. The next morning we went to the first concession. It was about 10 miles out of town and was 20,000 acres. We used a river bed to check zero on our rifles. We made a first pass down the river bed and I shot an impala. Horns measured 24". Bullet entered right chest and exited through left shoulder. He never took a step.

We left my friend in a stand overlooking a watering hole in the river bed and then went to check another watering hole. There we found a nice warthog. 250 yard shot on a running warthog. He ran about 40 yards after impact and died. Tusks measured 11".

We saw a few more hogs that afternoon, but no shots. We went to a new camp about 30 miles on the other side of Okahandja for the rest of the trip. It was on a 50,000 acre concession, but we had to return to the first concession the next morning. I saw a few animals the next day, including a 52" Kudu, but passed up on the shot in hopes of something bigger. Unfortunately, we didn't get shots on anything that day. On day 3, we started hunting on the larger concession. We found a large red hartebeest in a field and started moving in for a shot on him. Unfortunately, he spotted us before we could get in position and fled. We started tracking him, but about 400 yards into our trail, but found a nice old blue wildebeest standing about 150 yards away from us. He was facing us. I put a single shot into his chest slightly off-center to the left. He ran about 30 yards after impact, but was dead before I could even get in position to make another shot. He was a huge old bull.

Day 4 started with us looking for zebra. We spotted a small herd of zebra, but they spotted us about 1000 yards out and were running the other direction long before we could even start a stalk. We did spot a very nice herd of red hartebeest though, and moved in on them. I shot one at about 140 yards. He was facing away from me and dropped with a single shot through the left shoulder. The bullet passed through his shoulder and neck. He measured 24" horns. Another nice bull lingered in the area, and my wife was able to shoot him. Her shot was a little too far back and we tracked him for about an hour before we caught up to him. I placed a finishing shot to his chest and he dropped in his tracks. He measured 22".

That afternoon, we went back to the first concession. Another hunter had missed a shot on a large kudu bull the previous day. The bull was standing at 130 yards and he jerked the trigger enough to send the shot in front of the bull and killed a kudu cow. We returned the next day to find the bull standing in the exact same spot. Needless to say, I didn't miss. My shot entered his left shoulder and was found under the skin on the right side. He collapsed were he was standing. His horns measured 56 1/2" with 13" bases.

Day 5 was the most frustrating day of the trip. We spent the entire day stalking a herd of eland. Unfortunately, we weren't even able to get a shot on one. We covered about 25 miles of trails while tracking them. Lots of fresh tracks and poop, but couldn't catch up to them. Nightfall forced us to abandon the search.

On day 6, we travelled to a concession on the edge of the Kalahari desert. Wonderful ranch with lots of animals. I was able to shoot a Burchell's zebra, a springbok (17 1/4" horns) and a gemsbok (42" horns). My wife also shot a springbok (16" horns). The ranch was overrun with animals. The landowner had killed 200 gemsbok in the prior month trying to thin the herd. He had another hunter in there killing springbok. They had killed 3 on the morning of our hunt.

Our final day involved hunting for a giraffe. We were able to find a large bull and he fell following a shot in the neck from 150 yards. A finishing shot into the heart was needed.

We were transported back to Okahandja and then to Windhoek the following morning to fly home. Our trip home was uneventful. We flew to Jo-burg and then to Washington-Dulles before returning to Denver. Customs coming back into the US was great. Long lines, but everyone was nice.

In summary, we were able to harvest 11 animals and the other couple got 4 animals. We had a blast hunting in Namibia. My GAP rifles performed perfectly and Andrew McCourt loaded perfect ammunition for the trip. The guys at African Days were great. They were able to get us shots on everything we wanted except the eland, and that wasn't certainly for a lack of trying. I would recommend them to anyone going to Africa. We are already planning a return trip in a couple years with the goal of harvesting a Cape Buffalo, Leopard, Sable and Eland. To anyone on the fence about a trip to Africa, it was the best vacation that I've ever had. Do it!!!

Coty W Jewell

Outstanding sir - great trip!

A couple more details on the rifles and scopes if you please? Good looking iron, what caliber, what scopes, and what would you do differently? My own experience was that Americans brought more scope than really needed, my buddy said bring your 300 with the 6x20. Well, it stayed on 6 mostly, except one zebra had it up to 10x. Bringing nothing over 10x this year.

The skin on those giraffes is thick isn't it! The springbok and Gemsbok you two shot are great trophies too! And I think everyone in Africa has a couple Jack Russell terriers, that is a dog with much heart.

Thanks for posting on your trip - Love seeing this stuff! And I am a little jealous of the kudu, very nice!

Outstanding Robo!!!
All awesome animals, especially the warty and springbok, those things are HUGE! I'm glad you scored a nice kudu, I've been over twice now and haven't got a shot at one. Those eland can be a bitch can't they? :D
One has to wear their walkin shoes to bag one. Zebras are a challenge as well.
So, are you gonna tell us what cal rifle and bullet/load used by you and your wife? I think it's awesome that your wife went and bagged some game, great stuff Robo!!

Thanks for the report and pics,
LX

GAP non-typical, 6 Creedmoor (FDE stock) slinging 115 Berger VLDs at 2930 fps.

GAP non-typical, 300 WSM (camo stock) launching Barnes 180 TTSX at 2950 fps.

I got to get in a little bit of trigger time with Coty and his wife before their trip to Africa at my home range. 6 CM was just flat out wicked accurate, 115 VLDs finding the center of steel plates out to 750 yds (farthest we could go at my local range). Great pictures Coty, thank you for sharing! Hope to see you and the Mrs. again soon in ABQ so we can get in some more shooting.

Andrew

Thanks for taking the time to post this, I greatly enjoyed reading it and seeing your pictures.

Robo,

Very nice story and pics... I'd make that trip just to bag one of this warthogs as I love shooting wild boar. Question: What is it like hunting a giraffe? I know nothing about them other than what I see on Discovery, but are they elusive or do they spook easy? Does it require a stalk or stealth or are they just a get within range and shoot animal? Do the locals eat the giraffe meat? Do you shoulder mount a giraffe? Just a few questions from someone who is very curious.... Thanks. Oh, and very cool that you got to go with your wife....Good times...

Sorry for the delay in responding. Had a long Monday trying to get caught back up from the trip. My partners had a huge to-do list for me. Up early today to get back on it. I'll try to answer all of the questions.

A couple more details on the rifles and scopes if you please? Good looking iron, what caliber, what scopes, and what would you do differently? My own experience was that Americans brought more scope than really needed, my buddy said bring your 300 with the 6x20. Well, it stayed on 6 mostly, except one zebra had it up to 10x. Bringing nothing over 10x this year.

The skin on those giraffes is thick isn't it! The springbok and Gemsbok you two shot are great trophies too! And I think everyone in Africa has a couple Jack Russell terriers, that is a dog with much heart.

Thanks for posting on your trip - Love seeing this stuff! And I am a little jealous of the kudu, very nice!

Andrew McCourt posted information on the rifles. GAP non-typicals. 300 WSM with 180 TTSX and 6 CM with 115 VLD. The 300 has a S&B 4-16x50 with XR reticle. The 6 CM has a Premier Hunter 3-15x50 with XR reticle. Neither saw much time past 6x. The TTSX performed wonderfully on everything. It passed through everything except the kudu (parked under skin on far side) and giraffe. I'd use that load again in a heartbeat!!! Andrew developed a wonderful load for me. The PH was very impressed with terminal ballistics of it. At the beginning of the trip, he was very adamant against me taking any shot over about 100 meters. I took a shot on the warthog at 250 meters and destroyed his neck and great vessels. After that, he started trusting me to use my judgement. Most of our shots were at reasonable distances still. He had me set up to take shots as far as 650 meters a few times. Never took anything that far, but would've trusted the rifle and load even to those distances.

I'm a huge fan of the XR reticle. It worked wonderfully at 6x during the day. Had a little trouble picking up the reticle at sundown. The S&B is old and doesn't have a lit reticle. Really wish it did. If I would've changed anything on my equipment, that's what it would be.

My rifle is a little heavy when you carry it for 25 miles in one day, but I did ok. Might change to a different sling next time. BTW, I owe a big thank you to TAB gear. I ordered my sling pretty late and she got it to me in a hurry. They are great folks and great gear.

Coty

Robo,

Very nice story and pics... I'd make that trip just to bag one of this warthogs as I love shooting wild boar. Question: What is it like hunting a giraffe? I know nothing about them other than what I see on Discovery, but are they elusive or do they spook easy? Does it require a stalk or stealth or are they just a get within range and shoot animal? Do the locals eat the giraffe meat? Do you shoulder mount a giraffe? Just a few questions from someone who is very curious.... Thanks. Oh, and very cool that you got to go with your wife....Good times...

I had a list of 8 animals when I went. Plus wanted 2 of 3 extra (giraffe, eland, waterbuck). After getting there, I kinda cooled on shooting a giraffe. We saw a bunch and I thought it would be too easy, so we decided to concentrate on the other 2 in our "spare time." Neither are spare time animals!!! I'll go after both on my next trip. Well, we spent one whole day chasing eland and never got a shot. We passed up a couple chances at giraffe through the week. Some at my request and some at the PH's. It takes a long time to skin one, so there were restrictions on how late you could shoot one. Also, we didn't want to shoot one during the heat of the day because we didn't want hair slip from heat damage. Well, on the last day, we decided to go after a giraffe. There were plenty of them and the PH said the drought this year may kill some. After hearing that, we didn't feel too bad about shooting one. We thought it would be an easy hunt. We got up early to get one when it was still cool. We sent out trackers to all of the tall hills/mountains around us. We spotted. A small herd and went to explore them. Unfortunately, they were all young animals. We spent the next 5 hours hunting to find the one I eventually shot. We had a huge team spotting for us before we located the herd. We were able to stalk to within 130 meters or so. The giraffes could see us at much greater distances than we could spot them. In the end, we got set up and I shot my giraffe in the left side of his neck from around 130 meters. Luckily, he was under a tree and had plenty of shade. He dropped in his tracks. The bullet shocked his spinal cord, but didn't kill him. It didn't even break his vertebra. We finished him with a shot to the heart from close range.

I had mixed feelings about shooting a giraffe going into the hunt, but after harvesting him, it was a lot of fun. The meat was divided between camp, farm hands and an orphanage. I was happy that nothing was wasted. It'll make a beautiful rug for my living room too. I'm doing a neck mount on a pedestal with him. He'll look great in my office. Should make for a nice conversation piece.

Coty

Outstanding Robo!!!
All awesome animals, especially the warty and springbok, those things are HUGE! I'm glad you scored a nice kudu, I've been over twice now and haven't got a shot at one. Those eland can be a bitch can't they? :D
One has to wear their walkin shoes to bag one. Zebras are a challenge as well.
So, are you gonna tell us what cal rifle and bullet/load used by you and your wife? I think it's awesome that your wife went and bagged some game, great stuff Robo!!

Thanks for the report and pics,
LX

The springbok should be super gold. The kudu was the most exciting animal that I got. I was so glad that the New Yorker missed him!! The zebra was the hardest animal that I got. Those things are so smart. We hunted for Hartmann's zebra for the first 5 days and couldn't get a shot. Saw several herds, but not until after they saw, heard or smelled us...

Eland are the most athletic creatures I've ever seen. We startled one herd while driving. They ran along the edge of the road for about 200 yards and then made an abrupt left turn. They jumped over a tree and cleared the roadway in a single jump. I've never seen a 2000 pound animal move that fast or jump that high and far. We tracked them for about 5 miles that afternoon. We were closing in on them when I stepped on a thorn that went through my boot and foot. The tracker and PH had to help me break the thorn off in my boot to get my foot out of the boot. We got the thorn out of my foot and boot, and then started tracking again. Unfortunately, nightfall caught us before we caught them again. The next morning, we started following tracks again. We tracked them for about 10 miles and never could catch them. We found tracks for a different herd at a watering hole and tracked them the rest of the day. We found them in a valley on the outside of our concession. They had circled in the valley and were head back to our concession. They were feeding on the back side of a mountain and had only two pathways to enter our concession. We setup overlooking the most likely entry point. I was laying prone on a rock ledge about 50-60 feet high with shots ranging from 250 to 650 meters. Unfortunately, the eland herd turned the other direction. The PH and I ran from our perch to the other valley, which was about 2 miles away. We got close enough to hear them feeding, but couldn't get a shot on them due to the dense brush. Once again, nightfall caught us before they broke through the brush into the opening we were watching.

It was the most taxing hunt of the week. I was exhausted at the end of the day. Hated not getting an eland. This concession resulted in the #2 eland in the world in 2012. The PH thought two of the 6 eland in the herd would be close to that animal. Hopefully, I'll have better luck next time.

Coty

I saw your pictures from last year. I was jealous of your trip. Looks like you had loads of fun. We are already planning a return trip for leopard and Cape buffalo.

The giraffe hide weighed over 1000 pounds!!! Yeah, it's thick!!!

Coty

Wow thats amazing. I was lucky enough to hunt in SA a few years ago while on a work trip. I dont even want to know how much money you spent on game fees to take those animals.. Ok, yes I do ;)
Congrats on the hunt of a lifetime.

I had a good friend there at the same time you were, he got back from his 10-day trip this past Saturday.

As for athletic, while there last year, I watched a kudu bull jump a 6-foot game fence like it wasn't there.

I am a HUGE fan of the Barnes bullets. After my experience in South Africa last year, I decided 2 things:
1. I will go back to Africa with Barnes TSX or TTSX.
2. I need a bigger gun, African game it tough!

Nice pics, congrats on all. The wartrhog was the one missing from my wish list, I'll go back just to bag a big, nasty warthog.

Great write up...thanks for posting.

The Kudu is a dandy...same for the pair of red hartebeest.

ALL of the animals harvested are dandies. Love that warthog too. I've been over to RSA twice and have NEVER had luck with warthogs. A good warthog is One of the easiest to find for many hunters...NOT so for me.

Regarding the eland. I've got a nice one...took us two days on foot, following the herd as there were three good old bulls. THAT hunt was probably my most fondly remembered. They are HUGE when they are finally on the ground.

Now you have an excuse for a return trip...bag that eland.

FN in MT

Thanks for sharing. I've dreamed of a safari since I was 13. That was 53 yrs ago when you could still bag the grand slam.

Congrats on your safari! I am sure you have an experience that will last you a lifetime. You will have tales to tell at camp that we will all like to hear. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Both of the Springbok are exceptional. I hope you got to try Springbok backstrap, it was our favorite by by far. Congrats on a great hunt!

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a you had an awesome trip.

Yes, thanks for sharing your adventure with us! You have some really great trophies, congrats!

Wow thats amazing. I was lucky enough to hunt in SA a few years ago while on a work trip. I dont even want to know how much money you spent on game fees to take those animals.. Ok, yes I do ;)
Congrats on the hunt of a lifetime.

I think total game fee was $15000. I paid on it for the last 6 months, so I didn't have much extra when I paid out at end of trip. Only extra was the giraffe.

CWJ

PM me if you are ever in Houston or Louisiana - drinks are on us!

Thanks for the offer. Offer stands from us if your travels bring you through Amarillo.

Heck, if any SH member finds their way through Amarillo, I'll try to meet for a drink and tall-tales.

CWJ

Both of the Springbok are exceptional. I hope you got to try Springbok backstrap, it was our favorite by by far. Congrats on a great hunt!

We tried some chicken fried springbok. It was my wife's favorite. I liked kudu and gemsbok better.

We enjoyed those meats enough that we are looking for land to high fence and raise gemsbok and springbok to harvest for meat.

CWJ

Quick update on my African safari:
After months of delays and broken promises by the exporter in Namibia, our animals were finally shipped from Namibia. They were being flown via Delta Airlines to Houston to our importer. Well, the importer in Atlanta high-jacked our animals even though they were labeled for shipping to importer in Houston... I'd understand this type of piracy in a third world country, but not in the US. Amazes me that an individual can go into a restricted area of an international airport in the US and remove boxes being shipped to another airport. This issue was supposedly corrected and our animals were shipped to Houston, but instead of continuing their trip via air, they've been redirected via ground. This safari has been a very schizophrenic adventure. We had a great time on the hunt, but the after hunt part has been a nightmare. The original 3 month estimate on preliminary taxidermy turned into 6 months. Then the exporter stated one month to ship the animals. Well, the paperwork was completed in Jan as scheduled and they were paid. We were told 1 week to shipping, but it took 2 months. They sat on our stuff and kept saying they were shipping the next day every time we emailed. Now this importer pirated our animals and delayed our animals even further...

CWJ

Nice run down on a lovely African trip. I hope to make a trip by 50 myself got five years to save up..lol. Thanks for the photos and information.

Rich L

I had a chance to get over there last year or 2012... and could not make the trip. Friends at the embassy... and an invitation to come and hunt, but no time.

Your pictures have me kicking myself for not doing the trip. Absolutely gorgeous. I have been once, but want to go one more time.

Thanks for posting!!!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Robozebra,

Nice report and hunt. I hunted that area in 2004 and 2006, now I just need to get back. Looks like you both got in some great hunting!

Sorry to hear about the taxidermy, that part can be strenuous. In 2004 I paid a broker to bring everything into the US, then a delivery company an insanely large amount of money to deliver them to my home. In 2006 I learned what needed to be done through US Custom, the airlines and with a counter part in Namibia. With about 1/10th of the costs I did it all myself and it was a lot smoother. If you go back try and look into using a broker in Africa to ship direct. It is just paperwork once everything lands here.

Be safe,
FourNineThree