• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors After my Cyclone which suppressor is next?

long-shot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2003
Missouri
I have had my AAC Cyclone K for almost 2 years. I have several thousand rounds through it and have experienced less felt recoil, slightly better accuracy, and much more pleasant rifle to shoot.

The Cyclone was my first suppressor and since then I have learned more and would like those same benefits for some of my other weapons.

My first thought was a pistol suppressor (9mm) or a dedicated .223 can for my AR's.

I think pistol cans are cool, but I'm not sure they offer a training advantage and they would require a custom holster to carry them.

That leads me to a dedicated AR can in .223. This seems like a system that could benefit from a suppressor without changing how I use the rifle. I have shot some AR's with suppressors and they didn't seem hearing safe to me so that leads me to wonder if there's really a good reason to have either cans aside from the cool factor obviously (which may be good enough).

Re: After my Cyclone which suppressor is next?

Put your cyclone on the AR. You'll also want to install an adjustable gas block due to the increased back pressure.

I love shooting my 45acp through my can.

22 rimfire cans are cheap and fun as well.

I can say that an AAC M4/2000 is a nice suppressor for an AR. I have one that I change between my bolt 223 and my CQB AR. It is well built and I love their QD set-up.

22lr you will love it, cheap to shoot and depending on the host like a 77/22 you can get fantastic results..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good .22lr suppressor is SO much fun I can't imagine not owning at least one. I vote a .22 suppressor for sure. </div></div>

+1000. Bookhound talked me into a 22 can and I am glad he did. I absolutely love my rimfire can. I literally have family members arguing who gets to shoot my pac lite and cz next with the sparrow on it. My mom and sister used to hate guns too. That new sparrow really looks impressive!!

.22 is the most fun to suppress.

You want a take-apart .22 can.

Check out:
AAC Element
SWR Spectre
Silencerco Sparrow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boomfab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.22 is the most fun to suppress.

You want a take-apart .22 can.

Check out:
AAC Element
SWR Spectre
Silencerco Sparrow </div></div>

My list EXACTLY. I see these as the three top .22lr suppressors.

Long-Shot,

Your question can be read three ways...what is my next caliber..or..what is my next manufacterer..or both.

To be helpful here:

1. In reading your initial post, I think you suggest that overall you prefer to shoot suppressed. What is most interesting to my reading is your "I have learned more" comment. I would like to think I know exactly what you mean, but clarification would be apprecated. "Cool factor" is concerning and I will be of little help there and would be concerned about anyone who could.

2. Interestingly, you select two calibers (9mm and .223) as potential for your next choice. These two calibers have interesting ramifications for suppression, especially the .223. I routinely tell folks, for those that understand suppression, there are few calibers more demanding, more potentially disappointing, more misunderstood and more misleadingly hyped than the .223 in regard to suppression. A superb .223 can is a marvel and rare. You, yourself talk abot the fact that those that you have heard do not appear to be really hearing safe, your right...they are not.

3. You talk about a "dedicated AR can." Dedicated has a very precise meaning, it means essentially one host, one permanently mounted can. Is that what you mean to say? Whereas there are some States that in order to meet law must be dedicated, I do not believe you live in one.

4. What you got was a good number of .22 recommendations. Again, whereas my favorite suppressors are .22 (dedicated), there is a real discussion to be had about making that your next caliber. If you do, I would drive you in a direction other than that discussed above. No, a well designed, modern, front purging .22 suppressor does not need to come apart. In fact, to be really quiet, it shouldn't.

5. You mention a limitation of pistol supressors being their OAL in regard to holsters. Not all supressed hand guns, in all calibers, have that issue (think, right...dedicated). Then there is the issue of any real requirement to carry mounted. If the issue is carrying unmounted, well there is alot there too, solid options in .45, 9mm, etc.

err.jpg

holstera.jpg

6. Some are already championing specific manufacturers. Buckle up, low level flying here is rough, things smooth out much higher, in fact the more you can explain what you have learned, the finer the ride. So with that, can you provide a bit more about your thoughts?

RollingThunder,

Answers are below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long-Shot,

Your question can be read three ways...what is my next caliber..or..what is my next manufacterer..or both.

To be helpful here:

1. In reading your initial post, I think you suggest that overall you prefer to shoot suppressed. What is most interesting to my reading is your "I have learned more" comment. I would like to think I know exactly what you mean, but clarification would be apprecated. "Cool factor" is concerning and I will be of little help there and would be concerned about anyone who could.

<span style="color: #FF0000">The first time I've ever shot a suppressor was when I shot mine to zero it the day before a match so by definition I've learned more because now I have some knowledge where before I had none.</span>

2. Interestingly, you select two calibers (9mm and .223) as potential for your next choice. These two calibers have interesting ramifications for suppression, especially the .223. I routinely tell folks, for those that understand suppression, there are few calibers more demanding, more potentially disappointing, more misunderstood and more misleadingly hyped than the .223 in regard to suppression. A superb .223 can is a marvel and rare. You, yourself talk abot the fact that those that you have heard do not appear to be really hearing safe, your right...they are not.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I've shot my buddies M4-2000 and was disappointed in the noise still present.</span>

3. You talk about a "dedicated AR can." Dedicated has a very precise meaning, it means essentially one host, one permanently mounted can. Is that what you mean to say? Whereas there are some States that in order to meet law must be dedicated, I do not believe you live in one.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I could put my Cyclone K on my AR's but am looking at a .223 can. I'm not interested in a can that can't be removed from my host weapon.</span>

4. What you got was a good number of .22 recommendations. Again, whereas my favorite suppressors are .22 (dedicated), there is a real discussion to be had about making that your next caliber. If you do, I would drive you in a direction other than that discussed above. No, a well designed, modern, front purging .22 suppressor does not need to come apart. In fact, to be really quiet, it shouldn't.

5. You mention a limitation of pistol supressors being their OAL in regard to holsters. Not all supressed hand guns, in all calibers, have that issue (think, right...dedicated). Then there is the issue of any real requirement to carry mounted. If the issue is carrying unmounted, well there is alot there too, solid options in .45, 9mm, etc.

err.jpg

holstera.jpg

6. Some are already championing specific manufacturers. Buckle up, low level flying here is rough, things smooth out much higher, in fact the more you can explain what you have learned, the finer the ride. So with that, can you provide a bit more about your thoughts?

</div></div>