• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater After some good Vietnam audio books or ebooks recommendations

JeremyNzl

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
New Zealand
Hey Guys

I have recently read

Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason
Centerfire by Ed Kugler

the writing style in Kugler's book was amazing, Chicken Hawk was impressive also and I have struggled to settle into other books thus far.
I have previously read some Hathcock biographies and they were captivating also.

I am after some recommendations of similar books or ones that have spec ops or recon or the intensity and grit of the above.

Cheers from Nz

Jeremy

I agree, Ed Kuglers book was really good! haven't heard of Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason...I'll have to look for it.
DW

Karl Marlantes has two great Vietnam books. His first was Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War. His followup was What It Is Like to Go to War which is an autobiography about the experience of war and returning to civilian life. Matterhorn is more of a mainstream bestseller, but What It Is Like to Go to War is a great look into the mind of a very cerebral soldier and provides insight into struggles that civilians (myself included) might not be aware. I think its a great read for any family members of soldiers returning from war.

Can't go wrong with Men In Green Faces by Gene Wentz.

Eyes of the Eagle, by Gary Linderer is pretty good (as well as several follow-up books by him). Also there are a whole bunch of aviation-related books that are really good. To the Limit is great if you liked Chickenhawk. There are many others as well. The Ravens, by Christopher Robbins is pretty good. Bury Us Upside Down. Man, can't even think of anymore but there are a bunch!

I've been on a Vietnam book binge recently...

Recondo - LRRPs in the 101st Airborne - Larry Chambers
Things I'll Never Forget - James M. Dixon
To the Limit - An Air Cav Huey Pilot - Tom A. Johnson
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young - Harold G. Moore/Joseph L. Galloway
Abandoned in Hell - William Albracht
19 Minutes To Live - Lew Jennings
Chasing Charlie - Richard Fleming
Cammie Up! - Steven A. Johnson
As If It Were Yesterday - Lee Suydam
Dispatches - Michael Herr
There It Is...It Don't Mean Nothin' - Charles Hensler

Several of Carlos Hathcock books.

Currently reading "No Safe Spaces" - Anthony H. Johnson

I've read the sample of Eye of the Tiger - John Edmund Delezen (it's next on my list)

These are all pretty good...some better than others. The ratings on Amazon Kindle store hold pretty true IMO.

How about a book and then a follow up which was kinda a remake?
To me- The 1st book- Point Man was better than the follow up

Point Man
Chief James Watson
Point Man Mass Market Paperback – January 1, 1995
by Chief James Watson
The personal story of a thirty-year Navy SEALs veteran recounts his achievements as a member of the Underwater Demolition Team 21, three tours of Vietnam, numerous rescue missions, and relationship with Richard Marcinko

Walking Point
INSIDE THE NAVYS TOUGHEST FIGHTING FORCE WITH A WARRIOR WHO WAS THERE
Known worldwide for their incredible combat skill, the Navy SEALs are one of the most elite sectors of the U.S. military. Now veteran SEAL Chief James Watson, who thrilled readers with his popular war memoir Point Man, presents more gripping stories of SEAL training and combat missions around the globe.
Alongside SEAL Team Two, Sixth Platoon, we watch soldiers perform treacherous diving missions, penetrate POW camps, arm a baby atom bomb, block seaborne supply routes, develop intelligence on enemy positions, and interrogate prisoners. From infiltrating a Viet Cong stronghold surrounded by land mines to recovering multimillion-dollar equipment lost in waters with near-zero visibility, SEALs have taken on the toughest and most dangerous jobs, in wartime and peacetime alike. Here, in language as straightforward and hard-edged as the Chief himself, is an insiders look into the heart of SEAL operations: how it feels to be among a group of warriors united by ironclad trust, heroic daring, and military strength in brilliant service to their country.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Point+Man+James+watson&_sacat=0&_sop=15

How about a book and then a follow up which was kinda a remake?
To me- The 1st book- Point Man was better than the follow up

Point Man
Chief James Watson
Point Man Mass Market Paperback – January 1, 1995
by Chief James Watson
The personal story of a thirty-year Navy SEALs veteran recounts his achievements as a member of the Underwater Demolition Team 21, three tours of Vietnam, numerous rescue missions, and relationship with Richard Marcinko

Walking Point
INSIDE THE NAVYS TOUGHEST FIGHTING FORCE WITH A WARRIOR WHO WAS THERE
Known worldwide for their incredible combat skill, the Navy SEALs are one of the most elite sectors of the U.S. military. Now veteran SEAL Chief James Watson, who thrilled readers with his popular war memoir Point Man, presents more gripping stories of SEAL training and combat missions around the globe.
Alongside SEAL Team Two, Sixth Platoon, we watch soldiers perform treacherous diving missions, penetrate POW camps, arm a baby atom bomb, block seaborne supply routes, develop intelligence on enemy positions, and interrogate prisoners. From infiltrating a Viet Cong stronghold surrounded by land mines to recovering multimillion-dollar equipment lost in waters with near-zero visibility, SEALs have taken on the toughest and most dangerous jobs, in wartime and peacetime alike. Here, in language as straightforward and hard-edged as the Chief himself, is an insiders look into the heart of SEAL operations: how it feels to be among a group of warriors united by ironclad trust, heroic daring, and military strength in brilliant service to their country.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Point+Man+James+watson&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Could not agree more with these two choices. I've mention them a few times in similar threads.

As a little extra info, the author, Chief Watson, ran the UDT-SeAL Museum in Fort Pierce Florida until he passed a few years ago. I most enthusiastically recommend a visit there if you are ever in the area.