• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

After the 20th, adjusting the ugliness on here

If you guys want a safe space for politics, go sign up at the 65Grendel forum. They protect their fragility over there, by banning members who don't praise the current administration. You'll be summarily branded a leftist and excommunicated if you don't tow the party/cult line. So if you want an option, where your ideals - right, wrong, or retarded - won't be challenged, suggest you hit them up. They're a straight up backwards bunch - but they won't let anyone fuck with ya. No thinking, just protection.

Wait, people post on the 65 Grendel forum? I thought that place was dead...

I am a new user to the site, but not a new shooter. The discussions in the Bear Pit helped me out of a very lonely place the other day. I had pretty much lost hope and it was VERY nice to hear other people who think like me, vent, even if there was a lot of junk to weed through. I respect your decision, but in today's climate of censorship, removing yet another venue or limiting the discourse just feeds into people suspicions and paranoia (not to say they aren't really after us).
I feel ya.

I have a professional therapist and the Bear Pit.

Bear pit is for the crap I can't tell the therapist. But if Frank says we gotta clean up: "How clean sir?" I'd hate to lose the 'Top Forums' where I read and will gladly sacrifice the Bear Pit where I post.

Reactions: Blutroop
In November I found this site while researching information on the JP LRI-20. Sniper's Hide was fourth and fifth on the search engine google. I do not regularly interact on the internet, but the sheer volume of information here is irresistible. It still took me two months to join and I may have been drinking at the time.

I do not know if this site has always had this high of a visibility. Considering the paranoia in the bear pit regarding the number of new joins lately, I suspect that site visibility is growing. Growth is usually good news for a business and it should be for the community.

Entertaining as the bear pit is, I did not come here to read opinions in bear pit. Cutting the bear pit off from the general public would not have forestalled me from joining the forum.

Seeing how easy it was to find and access this site and with 850k unique monthly users and 160k members, it is likely that this forum is already influencing the opinions that the wider public has of the shooting community.

Reactions: Maggot
Entertaining as the bear pit is, I did not come here to read opinions in bear pit. Cutting the bear pit off from the general public would not have forestalled me from joining the forum.

Same

Something i would like to suggest. Idk if this is possible or not, but to the point of the dedicated thread we're talking about, it should be vetted members. Frank, you know almost everyone that posts here. Its honestly amazing what you know about the members. kinda blew me away when you and i were talking about this kind of shit in TN. If there was a way to only add members that you or the mods "know", that would work great to ensure the opsec of the task. Like i said, idk if thats even something you would want or could do but it would be awesome. It would be easy for a new member that paid the supporter fee to get in and have prying eyes, i think. Idk, im sure you get where im going with it. Either way, im glad this is happening. Ive shut my mouth on a lot of topics because of this very reason. It needs to happen

Reactions: seansmd
You may not have to worry about it. Good chance that within a few months after Jan 20th, there will be a newly established "Ministry of information" that they'll kindly label something friendly like the "Social media public standards safety commission" or some other rainbow unicorn pony name... and a lot of sites having anything to do with firearms, freedom, politics, religion... will be shut down anyway.

All approved information will flow directly to the public in an easily controlled, one-way direction.

Suggestions

1. Don't quote or respond to idiots because quoting dumb shit written just makes it harder to remove,
2. Don't answer them, or respond with something off topic

Hell just a ^^^^^ Bad Egg
Don't respond to this

Right under a dumb ass post is probably enough
Lowlight, did you say there will be a forum for political / current news for members only, where we can have our own deep state discussions without being hassled and kept down by the man?

1610119118957.png

1610119192489.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1moaoff
@lowlight, does being an online training member qualify or is actual supporter badge required?

Ahhh, I remember the good ol' days when people came here asking if they should buy a Leupold. Who'd'a thunk I'd miss the old days!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ravenworks
Perhaps you can set the Bear Pit up so that any thread older than 7 days is purged? So even if talk gets a little weird its gone forever 7 days later.

I've been here for 12 years now...holy shit! I love the Pit and hope it doesn't go away. I do agree making it less accessible to the general public a good idea. I'll definitely become a member or whatever it takes to continue being a part of it and this site. This place has some extremely smart folks that have taught me a lot over the years and opened my eyes. I'd hate to lose this small part of the web. I swear, the Hide is about the ONLY website I use on the net.

Reactions: Hawkwood
There hasn't been any run on registration,

The number of people who sign up on any given day is pretty consistent, you just have been around long enough at some point you notice the names start to change or people who come on and get active start to show up more often.

The has not been any crazy new sign ups

@lowlight, does being an online training member qualify or is actual supporter badge required?

The Online Training is changing, in fact I might have a new system very soon,

But a Supporter Account which accesses the private area also accesses the online training section. We combined it as an incentive to sign up as a supporting members.

Soon, a note will go out, those with "online training" accounts can unsubscribe, then just use the Supporter account.

The more I can do it this way, member supported the less I have to do ads, nobody likes them, and they are hassle to deal with, so if I can provide things like training lessons for supporters, swag stuff, giveaways I can kill more of the ads.

But after next week we'll have a better idea, I have a meeting, new training, new app, things are changing

Frank a purge of the pit seems reasonable.

Unfortunately i have been a pit problem more than i would like to admit.
Admitting i have a problem is the first step to recovery right?
This year i have typed several emotion spiked replies in the pit , But i took a minute then deleted them.
I have told myself i wont get baited into those pit arguments any more. Thats not easy.

For me the things i have learned from you and the other members here could not have been found elsewhere.
I have found several people here willing to share knowledge through a series of private messages.
I have also had some reach out to me for answers of things i have tried etc.

Im too old and unfit ( 1 legged men are slow ) to wage war against tyrants but im too young and able minded to quit enjoying my 2nd amendment hobby.
I will continue to vote for those that represent my ( our ) views . I would be useless in a civil war as you guys would have to crawl over my large carcass as i fell over in exhaustion.

I can only hope and pray we Americans get through this troubling time.
I look back and i felt like this with Clinton and Obama even though this feels worse .
Maybe it feels worse because I am older and really didnt care about politics much back then .
Nobody will ever make me feel guilty for loving shooting sports and collecting.

We need to band together with our 2a brothers and bring the good kind of attention to ourselves and Franks site.
Get more kids shooting as well as more adults that dont understand why we love this.

Franks thanks for giving me the place to say things like this .

Hey, youre not worthless old man, you can still pull a trigger and after they get you we can use you for cover. 🙃 :whistle: 🇺🇸 😂 :cool:

The Online Training is changing, in fact I might have a new system very soon,

But a Supporter Account which accesses the private area also accesses the online training section. We combined it as an incentive to sign up as a supporting members.

Soon, a note will go out, those with "online training" accounts can unsubscribe, then just use the Supporter account.

The more I can do it this way, member supported the less I have to do ads, nobody likes them, and they are hassle to deal with, so if I can provide things like training lessons for supporters, swag stuff, giveaways I can kill more of the ads.

But after next week we'll have a better idea, I have a meeting, new training, new app, things are changing

Anyone know where to sign up to be a supporter on mobile? I can’t seem to find it

Never mind. Found it.

You may not have to worry about it. Good chance that within a few months after Jan 20th, there will be a newly established "Ministry of information" that they'll kindly label something friendly like the "Social media public standards safety commission" or some other rainbow unicorn pony name... and a lot of sites having anything to do with firearms, freedom, politics, religion... will be shut down anyway.

All approved information will flow directly to the public in an easily controlled, one-way direction.
CA just had a law go into affect Jan 1st that the State will fine you $1K a day for posting things to social media that they don't approve of.

Don't believe me, I can tell you people are being arrested and this site is definitely on their radar.

--------------

...we are now in the minority and they are gonna exact revenge.

The two money quotes! Anyone paying attention sees the wheels in motion already.

I get where he is coming from. If it were my site, I'd let it be a bit more freewheeling for no other reason than to mess with the signal to noise ratio for those who monitor everything digital despite the dead letter of the Fourth Amendment, but this is Frank's call, not mine. What we face ahead of us shouldn't be taken lightly.

I'm sorry I won't be joining you behind the subscription wall. Resources are limited. This still leaves the reasons I found and joined, sharing knowledge I have and learning what I didn't already know. I'd like to think I've made contributions in excess of what I've received. You will just have to do without my sparkling wit and daily dose of snark, but I sure will miss yours. Some of the posts that lead to this decision ought to be reserved for meatspace anyway. Godspeed to all.

Reactions: Blutroop
They actually are quite against purging threads, it hurts SEO

We are not going completely behind the curtain, we'll have areas for open discussion as noted,

Use, All Unicorns & Rainbows as an example

If we limit it publicly, we make it easier to manage too, limit exposure, and still can have a good time with it.

Like I said, not necessarily stopping it, just compartmentalizing it and restricting the public discourse on here as a safer barrier wall just in case

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I am a new user to the site, but not a new shooter. The discussions in the Bear Pit helped me out of a very lonely place the other day. I had pretty much lost hope and it was VERY nice to hear other people who think like me, vent, even if there was a lot of junk to weed through. I respect your decision, but in today's climate of censorship, removing yet another venue or limiting the discourse just feeds into people suspicions and paranoia (not to say they aren't really after us).
He didn’t remove it, just monetized it. This place is his business after all.

Hey, youre not worthless old man, you can still pull a trigger and after they get you we can use you for cover. 🙃 :whistle: 🇺🇸 😂 :cool:

A. a cantankerous, one legged, mean-old bastard who has lived his life, knows his mind, is cemented in his ethics or...
B. an able bodied 19 year old, very little life experience and is still figuring out life.

A. each time, every time.

Tha
The online training is worth the price. Costs the same as 10 rounds of Ammo per month
I can’t spare 10 rounds right now and my last cash was converted to propane.

@lowlight Thanks for putting this off as long as you could.
I am one of the many that no longer get news from media and the bear pit was great for that.

Even though I’m very careful to not say anything that isn’t supported by God or constitution I realize that Americans are the new target. If they can sensor a president..

As for names
Shit-cicle cause if you’ve ever had one touch your cheeks in the morning before your coffee..

The fact that gun owners are turning on each other on this site shows we are our own worst enemy.

That (supposedly) proud 2A supporters can side with the likes of Biden proves we are doomed.

Ok. Thank you. I have been thinking the same thing. Glad to see someone write it. It blows my mind that 2A supporters vote for people like Harris/Biden, Assoff, and Warcock. I thought GA was better than that. Guess I got proved wrong once again. Our 2A rights are in jeopardy.

Sad truth is because of the political climate now I’m to paranoid to ask the questions I got for the knowledgeable shooting base on here.
That and it’s kinda embarrassing I don’t even have a mil OR moa scope.

I am thankful for all my time in the pit though and nothing lasts forever.

They actually are quite against purging threads, it hurts SEO

We are not going completely behind the curtain, we'll have areas for open discussion as noted,

Use, All Unicorns & Rainbows as an example

If we limit it publicly, we make it easier to manage too, limit exposure, and still can have a good time with it.

Like I said, not necessarily stopping it, just compartmentalizing it and restricting the public discourse on here as a safer barrier wall just in case
Frank’s gotta put a condom... uhhh I mean raincoat, on certain parts to keep the diseases at bay...

Should this thread be a sticky? Or is this directive posted somewhere else in a more official capacity?