• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aftermarket stock questions

crzymike

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
If I buy a stock from midway or bownells will I be amble to just drop my rifle in it or is there more to it than that??? Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Ps it's a Remington 700 vtr

If it's a stock made for a 700, then it'll be a drop-in. The accuracy it will provide is a different story. You will need to provide more details in order for us to judge the accuracy level.

Depends on a lot of factors: What kind of stock it is and how well its made/bedded. If the stock is made specifically for a Remington 700, it should fit but the receiver may not marry up to the stock properly. Which is why it may not be very accurate. Any time their are gaps between metal and fiberglass/wood it allows it move. That movement means inaccuracy. This is why a lot of shooters spend a lot of time getting rifles properly bedded so that the tolerances are made very tight. If you buy an accuracy international chassis system or even a KRG system there will be no modifications needed.

I'm thinking of a bell and calerson stock, when I called them they said no modifications were needed, so will I get more accuracy with it?

I'm thinking of a bell and calerson stock, when I called them they said no modifications were needed, so will I get more accuracy with it?

The stock should fit without any modifications, and should fit better than the factory VTR stock, which isn't a particularly stiff stock. Both the better fit and a stiffer stock should improve accuracy.

Bedding the B&C stock should give you even better accuracy yet.

What sort of accuracy are you getting with your VTR now? What are your expectations and intended use?

Texas hunting and semi long range targets 500-600 yards. Right off I have no idea accuracy Remington has it now for warrenty work and before that factory ammo was giving me about a .75 in three shot group at 100 yds.

How hard is it to bed the stock your self

Bedding a stock isn't that hard. If you're putting on one of the stocks that have the full-length aluminum bedding blocks, all you need to do is a skim bed. Google it, and you should be able to find some good instructional videos.