• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Age limit on trusts

BumRush6

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2012
SC
I'm thinking of getting a trust set up and buying a suppressor (probably a .22 first then one for .308). I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the age is on children that can be added to the trust. I was wanting to let my son take the .22 with his grandfather hunting. But I'm not sure if that'll be legal for anyone under 18.

Re: Age limit on trusts

I don't know about the age limit but why not put the grandfather in the trust. I plan to put my father, wife, 2 minor sons and executor of my will and best friend in the trust. for mine when I get it.

Not a lawyer, but, your son would not be legal to possess the suppressor although he is leagal to be on the trust. I have the same setup, but son is 19. I put my father, wife, brother, children and best friend. Best friend you ask, he is someone that I have complete and unwavering trust to help my wife if times of grief, if it may arise, as all of my family are states away.

Put the grandfather on it and be done. Good hunting and hope this helps.

CH, did you have a lawyer set it up? Just wondering as I have been thinking about one for a while. Not just for the supressor thing, but for estate planning. Some folks may think they have nothing, but add up the values of house, car and other goodies, your total taxable value can really reach up there. I guess my point, other than minors, was your trust a living trust or did it include estate.

I just want to take care of both with one, if its possible.

"He knew nothing about the law, but that never stopped him. Standing now and facing them both he looked seriously at the papers infront of him. Crushing out the cigarette and draining the last dregs, he began.

"Paul, I would not recommend mixing any of your possessions held within a Trust with any firearms, none. In fact, I would say that one would be nothing short of a damn fool for mixing NFA items with anything other than themselves, not even standard firearms. Carl, your kid has to be 21 to buy from a dealer." He said flatly "As to this notion about counting up your stuff and using a Trust for estate planning, well you and your wife can both give $5,200,000 each for 8 more days, and then, like everything else in this country, that goes South on the 9th day. You'll be left on the 1st with $1,000,000. each. Try to find a lawyer in the next 8 days! For them, its Y2K all over again. Always remember rule number one, know when you think you know just enough to not know you know nothing."

And with that he collapsed back into the chair and confronted the full silence that was the very stupification of the Boys."

Frank Haines and the Barrow Boys

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize I could add people outside of immediate family for class 3. That simplifies things.

Beneficiaries of trustees can legally be sole possesion of NFA items once they reach the age of twenty-one as defined by the GCA. It's up to the Guarantor during the creation of the trust to define at what age beneficiaries become trustees...

For example my wife is a Trustee and our minor children are beneficiaries until they each reach age of 30 afterwhich they become Trustees.

I hope this helps and good luck!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronson90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beneficiaries of trustees can legally be sole possesion of NFA items once they reach the age of twenty-one as defined by the GCA. It's up to the Guarantor during the creation of the trust to define at what age beneficiaries become trustees...

For example my wife is a Trustee and our minor children are beneficiaries until they each reach age of 30 afterwhich they become Trustees.

I hope this helps and good luck!!! </div></div>

ALL NFA can be owned by anyone 18 years or older.

The 21 year old information is ONLY when acquiring from a licensee(FFL/SOT).

If the person under 21 but older than 18 can find someone to sell them an item face to face its perfectly legal according to the GCA. Just as owning a handgun is legal for anyone 18 years and older, they have to be 21 to buy from a licensee.

Trusts can set their own rules so long as they are more stringent than Federal regulations.

How does this effect letting them use it. I see,a lot of pictures of youngsters shooting their daddys suppressed rifles.
How does that work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does this effect letting them use it. I see,a lot of pictures of youngsters shooting their daddys suppressed rifles.
How does that work? </div></div>

Anyone can shoot it so long as the legal owner of the item is present.

The ATF does not consider allowing someone to use it in your presence as a transfer of ownership requiring a stamp. That is still within their definition of positive control of the restricted item.

Stand there and let them have fun.

Thats the extremely basic version but up to you to determine who uses your items.

When I go to the range I usually bring a suppressed 22lr pistol for the kids to plink with, I kick back at the table at the entrance to the shooting bay and let them have at it. Most of the time their folks are right there waiting in line to play.

I believe you can name the child in the trust but for the child to legally own/possess the item they would have to be a certain age and this would be determined by the state law in which the item/beneficiary are located.

Got it all set up. Thanks so much everyone. For anyone around upstate SC I got mine set up for $180 and $10 to go in to the trust to be the first "item". That is much cheaper than anything I had heard by at least $100.

Anyone interested PM me and I'll send you the lawyers info.

Just got my Trust from my Attorney and my daughter is in it, I have others in it should anything happen to me, I wanted to make sure that all things in the Trust are passed to my kids

just getting into the suppressed arena.talked today with my dealer and got it set to do trust,was wondering about doine individual way.what is the pro and con of each and wich is easiest?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullelk6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just getting into the suppressed arena.talked today with my dealer and got it set to do trust,was wondering about doine individual way.what is the pro and con of each and wich is easiest? </div></div>

At this time the trust is the easiest way, no fingerprint or mugshots and CLEO involvement.

In the future that is changing.

Trust also allows limited people to have access to your toys in your absence.

There is A LOT more than just that but its a primer.

I listed my grandson as beneficiary on my trust, he is 16 now, but by the time he would inherit anything he will be well over 21. My oldest daughter his aunt is also coexecutor so she will have him under her supervision too. I'm hoping my grandson will eventually take over the trust it probably would be good for him to do so.