• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ah! I feel like my wife picking out an outfit!

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    I can't decide on 280 Ackley or 300PRC for my elk hunting rifle. I've gone back and forth on them for almost a month now. Started off with the 300PRC, went 6.5PRC, back to 300PRC, then 280 Ackley, and now back to the 300PRC. I keep reading on here and other sources the the 7mm family is a great all around hunting round. I would also like to take the rifle out to a mile when not hunting. Is the 280 Ackley a good fit for elk hunting and ELR shooting with manageable recoil (not a must but would be nice to keep my shoulder)?

Reactions: Mrpike71
    300norma is too expensive.
    Wish there was a 280prc lol. Would solve all my problems.

300norma is too expensive.
    Wish there was a 280prc lol. Would solve all my problems.

If a Norma itself is too expensive, where do you think you're going to save money? Factory ammo? If you take hunting as seriously as many of us you'll discover that ammo or high quality reloading components are a drop in the bucket .

I do that everytime I buy a big (to me) ticket item. I'll spend days, if not weeks and months researching, researching and more researching. Giving myself a killer headache. Ultimately, I end up going with the very 1st thing. Which really pisses me of, because I could have had said item a long time ago, had I just went with my 1st. lol

I've had a .280Rem for more than 25 years and I love it. I wish it was an Ackley Improved.
    The .280AI is almost a 7mm Rem Mag....and that caliber has harvested a lot of elk. I recall reading a review of the 300PRC and the reviewer stated that it notably sharper recoil that a similar rifle in 300 Win Mag. Maybe this was just due to powder choices, I'm just proffering it as a note from one person's experience.

good luck
    Ross

I prefer .30 cal or larger for elk, especially if you plan on taking long shots. 1500 lb-ft of energy is a common minimum standard for elk...a quick calculation on JBM using Hornady’s advertised BC and velocity for their Precision Hunter ammo says the 280AI gets you to around 600 yards and the PRC to around 900, both using 24” barrels. The PRC wins big time in terms of external and terminal ballistics, but you will certainly take a recoil and weight penalty.

The 300PRC is cheaper in terms of ammo as well. 280 Ackley ammo isn't cheap. I will be buying factory ammo for a bit until I have room to build a reloading area.

In regular bolthead, with all the same Lapua brass, I like the 284 Shehane, then 284 Win, then 6.5x284 (essentially the same as 6.5 PRC). In mag bolthead, I like the Sherman Short Mags/Max or the RUM, but if you need to buy ammo, I'd forget the others and go 300 PRC. Modern cartridge, so all the latest projectiles will seat properly and fit in the mag without going custom.

I’ve got both 280ai and 300prc. If I could only keep one of these 2 it would be the 300prc. Especially with better brass options on the horizon. Not to mention the factory ammo advantage.

Of course my answer changes if you throw 300wm into the picture...

The 7 Rem Mag, 7mm SAUM, 7mm Sherman Short mag, 7mm WSM will push a 180 Berger VLD at or just over 3000 fps. It gets you to 900 yards for hunting and further depending on DA.

The 7 SS is the most efficient of them all and can be run in a true short action. This is the published load in ADG brass with RL26 at 3000 fps. I just loaded it up and took it to the range. Far easier than my 7mm rem mag to shoot like this.

If recoil is a concern, then run a 7mm in the 175 and 180 grain. Its plenty for elk in the boiler room.

If bullet size is the thing, then 300 all the way. You need to get into the 230s to beat the ballistics of the 7mm 180 vld unless you send the 300 hot.

If you want factory ammo, 300 prc all the way.

Attachments

• 20200203_112315.jpg
      20200203_112315.jpg
      435.2 KB · Views: 21
    I shoot a 7 saum which is ballistically similar to 280ai

180’s at 2800-2950 is plenty potent and it’s quite good at smacking steel past a mile and 1000 and in shots are silly easy.
    Recoil is really mild.

Reactions: hereinaz