• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE MK II vs AE MK III

The MKIII has a three position safety and the new skins. I don't think it is enough of a difference to justify a switch from your Mark II. But my Mark III is the best rifle I own or have owned. Chris R.

I also have a MkIII Folder and love it. If you thinking about upgrading - you would be better served by upgrading your glass (if necessary) or, spending that extra $$ on ammo & reloading components (if you reload). As stated, the only difference is the 3 position safety, in terms of the skins, you could always purchase an updated set of skins for your MkII (which will look & feel exactly like a MkIII).

my $0.02:cool:

Thanks for the Input. I may end up possibly switching the skins out with viperskins or AI pistol grip but I need to get my hands on some to see the difference. I am happy with My NF 3.5-15X50 I have on it so I can't justify changing scopes (although I would love a S&B one day).

My set up sounds exactly like what the Op has and I'm currently in the process of getting a can. I had an AICS with the new style skins and then purchased my AE MkII with the old skins. I definitely prefer the old skins fwiw.

The only thing you are missing is the three position AW safety and shroud. Unless you have a need to move with a round in the chamber your money is probably better spent elsewhere. I do recall seeing a post from Tom Irwin some time back stating they were looking into the feasibility of converting MKI/II bolts to the three position safety. May be worth a PM to Mr. Irwin to see if this is a possibility.

A couple months ago I spoke with someone at AINA regarding a bolt conversion. He said that AI was not going to perform safety conversions on MKI or MKII bolts. He did say that if an AE owner wanted a three position safety it would be possible to buy an AW or AE MKIII bolt at a considerable cost. Again, fwiw, this is what I was told and someone closer with AI may have better info

i think safety conversion are wasted money: i use my mk II at the range,on the field and to hunt.... never needed 3 position safety... +1 avsfan.

imho.

Is the MKIII folder lighter than the MKII folder? It's my understanding that the MKII is heavy and the folder adds even more weight.

If you want to save weight get the non folder. But I haven't found anything wrong with my MK 1s yet, so I still use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free