• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AE MKIII or Gap Barrelled Action??? HELP???

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I really like the AI but Im thinking I can get a Gap Barrelled action to my specs and slap it in the AICS I already have for less than $2000. What would you do? Opinions?

Re: AI AE MKIII or Gap Barrelled Action??? HELP???

Gap barrel on AI action!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gap barrel on AI action! </div></div>

+1!!

Still wont be an AI. I have Remington actions in AICS and they are not even close to my AI AE MKII. I would Sell the AICS and get what you really want.

Sean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zia shooter 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still wont be an AI. I have Remington actions in AICS and they are not even close to my AI AE MKII. I would Sell the AICS and get what you really want.

Sean</div></div>

So you don't think a GAP Barrelled Action built on a Surgeon or Templar action would be as good as an Accuracy International AE??? Even their tuned Rem 700 actions are gauranteed 1/2 MOA...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zia shooter 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still wont be an AI. I have Remington actions in AICS and they are not even close to my AI AE MKII. I would Sell the AICS and get what you really want.

Sean</div></div>

So you don't think a GAP Barrelled Action built on a Surgeon or Templar action would be as good as an Accuracy International AE??? Even their tuned Rem 700 actions are gauranteed 1/2 MOA... </div></div>

It isnt just about accuracy but also reliability. Im sure you will love either.

I would go GAP... And drop it in the AICS.

What caliber are you looking at btw?

For general target shooting, I'd think either would serve you quite well. If you're participating in tactical matches, or otherwise using it in field conditions, I'd go with the AI.

While the Remington may hold up fine to these conditions, I'd be confident in saying the AI would hold up fine. Therein lies the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go GAP... And drop it in the AICS.

What caliber are you looking at btw?</div></div>

If I go with the AI my only choice is 308, which is fine because I am well prepared and have experience loading for that caliber.

If I go gap I can pretty much put whatever specs I want and keep the barreled action under $2000. I have been trying to research other calipers but it all gets confusing to me cause I want a short action caliber that will perform well for target and real world use (Should the need ever arise), But, I don't want a caliber that I will have to break the bank to load for and enjoy shooting.

Is .308 in AI a self-imposed limitation? I am just wondering because you seem to be open to different calibers in the GAP and AI makes a couple of calibers other than .308. I have an AE MK III in .260 remington from the factory. They also offer 6.5x47 L and 6.5 Creedmore that I know of, for sure. A little more research may yield a few more caliber options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggie410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is .308 in AI a self-imposed limitation? I am just wondering because you seem to be open to different calibers in the GAP and AI makes a couple of calibers other than .308. I have an AE MK III in .260 remington from the factory. They also offer 6.5x47 L and 6.5 Creedmore that I know of, for sure. A little more research may yield a few more caliber options.</div></div>

I am certainly open to more caliber tha .308, but all the info I have on the MKIII says that it only comes in .308. I know the old MKIII came in other calibers but they seem to be hard to find. If I go AI I am open to anything long or short action. But if I go GAP I am limiting myself to short action calibers because I have short action AICS to put it in. I am open the any caliber that is acceptable for target and real world us, as long as it doesn't break the bank the load for and shoot.

Yet again...I'll say AI Action with a GAP barrel.

You can get barrels from GAP and Mile High in other chamberings.

I have a pile of 700's. I almost always go with the AE MkII when it counts. There is no doubt that GAP can built you an accurate 700. However it's still a 700. The AI is superior in every way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get barrels from GAP and Mile High in other chamberings.

I have a pile of 700's. I almost always go with the AE MkII when it counts. There is no doubt that GAP can built you an accurate 700. However it's still a 700. The AI is superior in every way.</div></div>

I went through Mile High with mine. When I get ready to rebarrel mine, I'll be talking to GAP. DOes GAP require the action to be sent in? I would imagine that they would, as I assume it is the best way for them to ensure a precise fit, but I had heard that replacement barrels were able to be ordered directly from AI not long ago without having to send in anything.

Am I misinformed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggie410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get barrels from GAP and Mile High in other chamberings.

I have a pile of 700's. I almost always go with the AE MkII when it counts. There is no doubt that GAP can built you an accurate 700. However it's still a 700. The AI is superior in every way.</div></div>

I went through Mile High with mine. When I get ready to rebarrel mine, I'll be talking to GAP. DOes GAP require the action to be sent in? I would imagine that they would, as I assume it is the best way for them to ensure a precise fit, but I had heard that replacement barrels were able to be ordered directly from AI not long ago without having to send in anything.

Am I misinformed? </div></div>

GAP prefers to have it sent in the first time. They then keep your headspace on file for future orders.

I shot GAP rifles for the last five years or so and have absolutely no issue with them.
In the last six months I picked up two AIAW rifles with the quick adjust cheek and LOP. Both 308 barrels will shoot anything I put in them well. One now wears a 260 Remington barrel from Mile High. I would sell any of my GAP rifles before I sold the AW.

First question is accuracy ( " best") your only goal? If so buy a used bench rest gun.
Second is $2000 your drop dead budget? If so buy the gap action.
Third if a 260 is out of your reloading budget and the 308 is not or you feel the 308 is better if "real world uses" get the 308. If you run the number over the life of a barrel the difference is little to gain much in performance.

Other points
The AI fits better in the AI stock ( go figure).
Very smooth feeding ( made it use AI mags).
60 degree bolt
AINA barrels are available in many calibers , I shoot one of the 260 barrels and it's a 1/4 moa barrel.
GAP can make barrels as well.

Only you can decide what you want to buy but I have gone down this same road and buying the AE first would have saved me $10,000.

Sean