• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ai ae mkiii

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I am the happy owner of a new MKIII, but am left with a couple questions. I did not receive any documentation on the rifle, as far as barrel twist. I know that you can order these in different calibers these days, but this, as far as I know, is a plain jane off the shelf MKIII, 7.62, folder with a 24'' barrel, no brake. Do these proof stamps indicate a 12 twist?

photobucket-57400-1364342693914.jpg

Last edited:
They dont do over 24" on the mkiii at the moment so maybe added after?
Unless AINA have the 26" option

Sorry it is not an ANIA barrel so it is a 1/12 twist. I can not remember for the life of me who makes AIs barrels even though I own one.

It is a factory barrel, I had a brain fart, it is 24", and low and behold in between the foam and cardboard box was the owners manual. It is a 12 twist.

That thing will hammer 175 smk's. See you soon Nick

Rich

Sorry it is not an ANIA barrel so it is a 1/12 twist. I can not remember for the life of me who makes AIs barrels even though I own one.

Which one? ANIA barrels are Bartlein, smithed by Dave Tooley. The barrels overseas are Lothar Walter or Border I believe.

Last edited:
That thing will hammer 175 smk's. See you soon Nick

Rich

45.0gr of RE15 today, 175smk, stacking them right up. That is the best load so far, so with 71 rounds down the pipe, I am content with this load. I hate load development, and this is a perfect duplicate of the M118, so I already have my dope ;)

Hey Nick try this.

45.8 varget
Winchester brass
Br 2 primers
175 smk
2.820 oal
2700 out of a 22"

Bet it one holes ;)

Hi Nick,
Nice....... I did the same last week myself! Still have the GAP I got from you last July, it may be going on the block. I have not shot my new MKIII yet as we have two feet of snow on the ground but I hold hope that it will melt! How is that little guy of yours doing that I met in Munising? Take care.
-Ed

That's a factory barrel, 12 twist, from AI. It should shoot 180s and 190s no problem at speed, and 175s perfectly.

That's a factory barrel, 12 twist, from AI. It should shoot 180s and 190s no problem at speed, and 175s perfectly.

Doesn't conventional wisdom say that a lower weight bullet (~168) is better for the 1:12 twist? Is there something distinctive about this AI barrel that allows it to shoot heavier bullets?

Stabilization depends on factors other than twist. There's no voodoo in the barrel. Mine shoots 180VLDs very well, even at low temps.