• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AI = Apathy International? Take a look at these new stocksides.

ColdBlood

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I just got a set of AICS 1.5 pistol grip stocksides to throw on my 700 while the others are off to get hydro-dipped. At first I thought someone did a dremel job on these and then returned them, but then I looked on Midway's website and I see that cut is supposed to be there. :eek:

ApathyInternational1_zpsc3699217.jpg

1. Why are they making such a large cut now? Even if it were cut smoothly, it looks unnecessary (not to mention, an obvious afterthought).

2. Is it supposed to look like I did it with my dremel (with a dull bit) in my (poorly lit) garage?

For comparison, here's the cut in my original AICS 1.5 stocksides (the ones I'm sending to have dipped). Note the notch where the bolt goes. Nice, finished look.
Rem700-AACSD-1_zps7b5b76ec.jpg

Have a hard time believing that is how they shipped from A.I. I'd say your first instinct is correct; someone modded them and the returned them.

There is no way that came from the factory like that. If it did....wow.

From what I'm finding out, that gap is supposed to be there, but it's filled by a piece of metal (part of the chassis), and I'm guessing the rough edges would be covered by the metal. My particular AICS 1.5 (which I just bought from EuroOptic.com a few weeks ago) is a *slightly* older version and doesn't have the finished piece of metal that comes out and fills that gap.

EDIT - Now I'm also noticing older AICS have the big piece of metal there, so apparently I was just recently sold a version of the AICS 1.5 that was only made for a short while. Awesome.

I'd been wanting an AICS for years (because I liked the modularity and ability to change stocksides) and I'm already over it...about to send this $1,400 load of crap (AICS, stocksides, spigot/rails/bipod) back where I got it and get something else. :mad:

EDIT - I'm going to call AI tomorrow and flat-out ask them to send me the same part without the huge cut-out. If they can't support the shit they sell long enough for dealers to sell it, and they have to keep changing the design every few months (without warning you in their marketing materials), then the modularity and availability of spare stocksides means nothing...and in that case, I'm no longer going to be an AI customer.

Last edited:
Well now you have me reconsidering their chassis. Hopefully this was a fluke. Put a Walmart sticker over it and send it back.

I'm scratching my head over the images of both stocks. I have a couple of older AICS (one has the original AI stocksides and the second has Viperskins) and both have a block of metal that fills the cutout in your first image. The bolt handle fits in a groove in this block when the bolt is in battery position. I don't see the block in either of your images or a cutout for it in your second image. What am I missing here? (And, yes, your cutout is very crude!)

The block of metal (see image below) is part of the chassis and not the stocksides. It appears to be missing from your AICS; your original stocksides appear to have been modified with added plastic to form a notch for the bolt. The AICS pistol grip stocksides have a large cutout for the block, but the cutout does look like it was modified for whatever reason. My conclusion: your AICS has a missing part! That's why I'm scratching my head.

Last edited:
AI stocksides come with a large (~1"x1") notch, but it's neatly cutout.

PS Why did someone take a file or Dremel to your stocksides? My guess is that the plastic shrank a little too much after being molded (not a rare problem) and the section with the notch has to fit tightly over both the magazine well and the bolt handle block (see my post above). Since the dimensions weren't correct due to the shrinkage, the owner tried to make it fit by working on the notch and then sent it back for a refund. AI or Midway simply resold them to you.

Here's a pic of the normal FDE stocksides from my AICS, note the large, neat cutout:

Last edited:
The stocksides that came with my chassis have a small inlet molded into the part where the bolt rests.

I think they changed the design, and then changed their minds shortly after and went back to the big block.

Either that, or they cut the chunk out of the stocksides so they'll fit older chassis.

I'm scratching my head over the images of both stocks. I have a couple of older AICS (one has the original AI stocksides and the second has Viperskins) and both have a block of metal that fills the cutout in your first image. The bolt handle fits in a groove in this block when the bolt is in battery position. I don't see the block in either of your images or a cutout for it in your second image. What am I missing here? (And, yes, your cutout is very crude!)

The block of metal (see image below) is part of the chassis and not the stocksides. It appears to be missing from your AICS; your original stocksides appear to have been modified with added plastic to form a notch for the bolt. The AICS pistol grip stocksides have a large cutout for the block, but the cutout does look like it was modified for whatever reason. My conclusion: your AICS has a missing part! That's why I'm scratching my head.

u have a set of old style skins, the older chassis has a 1x1" block. Ur chassis is the new style with out the block. Viperskins have the large 1x1" cutout on their skins also. I actually used an ai ae viperskin set on my new type 700 chassis. It took a few minutes with a dremel to make the ae viperskins work on my new style 700. I am glad i went that route it looks better then the old style cutout on the new style chassis.

MMile high carries legacy(old style), current style, and viperskins. They actually mounted a old set on a new chassis and an ai ae viperskins on the new chassis. They informed me the ai ae viperskins looked closer to right then the old style, they did say i would have to remove some material for bolt handle clearance. Their willingness to test fit and talk over the options is why i deal with them.

MMile high carries legacy(old style), current style, and viperskins. They actually mounted a old set on a new chassis and an ai ae viperskins on the new chassis. They informed me the ai ae viperskins looked closer to right then the old style, they did say i would have to remove some material for bolt handle clearance. Their willingness to test fit and talk over the options is why i deal with them.

Funny you say that. These stocksides (which I just received from Midway USA) came in a box with a sticker on it that includes the following text...

"Customer Order Number: Mile High 1225"

Midway is great about returns, so I'm not worried about them. I wonder if AI didn't happen to ship Midway some of Mile High's "legacy" stocksides.

i'm curious if those were a send back that someone decided were good enough to resell, i have NEVER seen another from mile high or AI that looks like that. quite the opposite and everything is clean and crisp. sorry for your issues man, i LOVE everything AI and have a lot of their stuff. NEVER had a issue.

I agree that those look like someone tried to make them work and send them back when they were not pleased with the way they came out.

I just received an AICS 2.0 from EuroOptics last shipment and it does not have the metal shroud around the bolt rest either. Unfortunately the Viper Skins that just arrived from Victor has the big cut out. Is that the only way they come or should I call Victor tomorrow?

80F7E0A9-2326-4517-921D-DCFA7A771175-1342-00000190EB1A851F_zps00af42d4.jpg

The Capn'

This may be hard to believe, but when you cut into that form of plastic, the edges naturally look rough. Normally no one cares because there's a metal block covering up those edges. When placed into a chassis that lacks the metal block, it becomes prominently visible. AI uses a single mould for the stocksides, and then cuts into them where necessary to create the finished product as it's needed for specific uses. Using the wrong set of skins for the chassis will make it look bad. Change the parts out, and you'll be fine.

I'm glad you posted this as I am considering a set of viperskins for my 1.5 and my stock skin doesn't have the 1 x 1 block either. So if I understand correctly, the only way to make this work on a 1.5 without the block is to use a set of AE viperskins and be prepared to dremel them a bit to fit?

What you have there is the new V2 AI stocksides that have been cut for the Surgeon Action/Old AICS chassis. The new ones do NOT have the metal block, only relatively old ones do. Its rare for AI to change the design, and any company that is showing pictures of the V2 with the block cutout is using an old chassis, an incorrect picture, or is surgeon.

AI cut the stocksides at factory for that chassis but its for a particular order which matches a particular chassis style. (Well, they don't get modified is they are standard, and arrive in a bag marked by the plastics company called AccuFast that make the stocksides).

The standard stockside is as per your second post, with the very small cutout that is designed for the new chassis.

AE and AW are different yet again with a rounded cutout.

This is why the new stocks are in so many pieces, it allows AI flexibility to produce different midsection pieces but keep the rears and fronts the same. You will notice the rear pieces for the folder are just the 1.5 pieces that have had a piece cut away.

You have been sent an incorrect part by Midway, so just change them out.

This may be hard to believe, but when you cut into that form of plastic, the edges naturally look rough. Normally no one cares because there's a metal block covering up those edges. When placed into a chassis that lacks the metal block, it becomes prominently visible. AI uses a single mould for the stocksides, and then cuts into them where necessary to create the finished product as it's needed for specific uses. Using the wrong set of skins for the chassis will make it look bad. Change the parts out, and you'll be fine.

I would believe that about the plastic...the other edges are how they came from the mold. If they're throwing these on a CNC to cut them, that's about what I'd expect a soft plastic to do.

That's all understandable...my gripe is that they don't bother telling you anything...they're not specifying which version the stocksides are, which version of the chassis you're buying, nothing like that.

Change the parts out? With what?

Last edited:
Change the stocksides to the correct style. Midway sent you the wrong ones. Its that simple.

I've been sent 3x skin sets in the last 4 months and all have been the correct, as per your second picture style. (Yes, I bought all three colors inc one spare as I cut it for a monopod).

What you have there is the new V2 AI stocksides that have been cut for the Surgeon Action/Old AICS chassis. The new ones do NOT have the metal block, only relatively old ones do. Its rare for AI to change the design, and any company that is showing pictures of the V2 with the block cutout is using an old chassis, an incorrect picture, or is surgeon.

AI cut the stocksides at factory for that chassis but its for a particular order which matches a particular chassis style. (Well, they don't get modified is they are standard, and arrive in a bag marked by the plastics company called AccuFast that make the stocksides).

The standard stockside is as per your second post, with the very small cutout that is designed for the new chassis.

AE and AW are different yet again with a rounded cutout.

This is why the new stocks are in so many pieces, it allows AI flexibility to produce different midsection pieces but keep the rears and fronts the same. You will notice the rear pieces for the folder are just the 1.5 pieces that have had a piece cut away.

You have been sent an incorrect part by Midway, so just change them out.

Thanks for the info. Did you see where I posted about the order number on the AI stocksides box? The order number is "Mile High 1225". I'm wondering if AI didn't ship Midway the wrong one?

Change the stocksides to the correct style. Midway sent you the wrong ones. Its that simple.

I've been sent 3x skin sets in the last 4 months and all have been the correct, as per your second picture style. (Yes, I bought all three colors inc one spare as I cut it for a monopod).

Midway only offers one type, so I'm guessing AI sent them the wrong one.

And now that you mention it, why the hell did AI get rid of the hole to mount the accu-shot monopod?

It would make sense that AI had shipped midway one that was supposed to go to Mile High and it then got sent to you...

Have you called Mile High to see if they got one in that didnt have the cut they requested?

Now when it comes to the lack of monopod support, I am confused as to why they would do that. AI make an excellent product and have been at the top of their game a long time. To take that away seems foolish given how many people use them and how easy it would have been to have the consideration included in the redesign.

It would make sense that AI had shipped midway one that was supposed to go to Mile High and it then got sent to you...

Have you called Mile High to see if they got one in that didnt have the cut they requested?

Now when it comes to the lack of monopod support, I am confused as to why they would do that. AI make an excellent product and have been at the top of their game a long time. To take that away seems foolish given how many people use them and how easy it would have been to have the consideration included in the redesign.

I'm not going to bother Mile High with something they never sold, but I'd almost bet they got shorted one. Hopefully AI will just send me the piece I need, and a pre-paid envelope to return the one with the 1x1 recess.

Do you know if the hole for the monopod is still in the aluminum chassis? Was it just the stocksides they omitted the hole from, or the chassis itself? If they just left the hole out of the stocksides, I can fix that easy enough.

EDIT - Now that I think about this, instead of being pissed off at AI, I'm actually pretty impressed that they will actually make the stocksides to fit older chassis for Mile High. That's actually pretty good product support...I just wish they'd watch which ones they're sending where. :)

Last edited:
Papa zero three, the viperskins for the 700 will have the 1x1 cutout. It will look like the op's pic. I used an ae set of viperskins mile high told me that it would need a little dremel work to get bolt clearance, but end product would look better then the big cutout. It does, but be forewarned that after u cut it there will be no chance to return it. Bolt the skins on and see how u like them before u grind. Victor company, when i talked to them 10 months ago, did not know of the chassis change. They might have new style skins now.

Papa zero three, the viperskins for the 700 will have the 1x1 cutout. It will look like the op's pic. I used an ae set of viperskins mile high told me that it would need a little dremel work to get bolt clearance, but end product would look better then the big cutout. It does, but be forewarned that after u cut it there will be no chance to return it. Bolt the skins on and see how u like them before u grind. Victor company, when i talked to them 10 months ago, did not know of the chassis change. They might have new style skins now.

How much needs to be dremeled away to make them work? Can you post a picture of your skins? Thanks.

Do you know if the hole for the monopod is still in the aluminum chassis? Was it just the stocksides they omitted the hole from, or the chassis itself? If they just left the hole out of the stocksides, I can fix that easy enough.

Yes, the chassis is unchanged, if you cut the rear pieces of the stocksides, you can fit the monopod. Here is my messy job.

tripod1_zps5cb49ee4.jpg

tripod2_zps4a69317f.jpg

tripod3_zps4b391d17.jpg

If you are more skilled with cutting tools then you can do a much better job, however, I am kind of like a drunk monkey when it comes to dremels.

Yes, the chassis is unchanged, if you cut the rear pieces of the stocksides, you can fit the monopod. Here is my messy job.

tripod1_zps5cb49ee4.jpg

tripod2_zps4a69317f.jpg

tripod3_zps4b391d17.jpg

If you are more skilled with cutting tools then you can do a much better job, however, I am kind of like a drunk monkey when it comes to dremels.

Thanks for info and photos. That's about how well I would do it. Function trumps form anyway.

I still can't believe AI just decided that cut wasn't worth making any longer...knowing damn well there will be customers who buy the monopod thinking it'll be plug 'n play.

The modularity is what drew me to the AICS. Seems like AI is becoming more and more concerned about cutting costs, which is fine...but it seems like some corners are getting cut too, and they've lost sight of the modularity that made the AICS so popular in the first place.

EDIT - Where did you get that tripod adapter, or what model? I have an old barn out here that I cut a square hole in the wall up in the loft...now I can see out about 300 yards and shoot safely at a downward angle, but holding a rifle steady up there (a la 3-gun barrier) isn't much fun with an AR-15, let alone a 13 lb bolt gun. lol

Last edited:
Papa zero three, pm me ur email and i will send pics tonight. I cannot figure out how to get images posted on the new forum.

I still can't believe AI just decided that cut wasn't worth making any longer...knowing damn well there will be customers who buy the monopod thinking it'll be plug 'n play.

The modularity is what drew me to the AICS. Seems like AI is becoming more and more concerned about cutting costs, which is fine...but it seems like some corners are getting cut too, and they've lost sight of the modularity that made the AICS so popular in the first place.
I received a new AICS from EuroOptic today. I found this thread trying to figure out what THE FUCK happened to the monopod attachment. What catastrophic brain fart prompted hitting the DELETE MAJOR FEATURE button??!!!

I'm not cutting it up to fix their mistake. Maybe I'll send it back, or maybe I'll use it like it is till they wake up and ship new stock sides. Frankly it should be a warranty replacement for this barfed up defective bullshit.

On a positive note, the new ergos of the thumbhole pistol grip are outstanding. Huge improvement.
y4ybyjyp.jpg

To comment on the original issue in this thread, here's what my stock looks like where the bolt rests. Definitely different from the older version. Other than the slightly odd hole between the chassis and the action, it looks good. Nice smooth transition from the plastic side panel to the aluminum chassis.
usa9a3um.jpg

AI has seen this thread. I will try to get answers about the monopod. Half the reason I wanted the AICS is because I can swap stocksides and use attachments like a mono-pod. At this point, this isn't really going so well.

The new style feels better but on a 700 chassis i still found the grip/trigger cramped. I put a set of viperskins on it and problem solved. The viperskins mate up to each other better and have a glockish texture that just looks and feels higher quality then the ai skins. My savage ai chassises are alot better in regards to grip/trigger.

Wait - the ergos have been improved? I sold my AICS because the trigger/grip relationship was too cramped for me. Has this been changed? Ill be buying another if so.

Yes, it feels a million times better. The thumbhole is less cramped in general, but I'm not sure the trigger reach is any longer if that's what you're looking for. Give one a try. I love the new version of the stock but the monopod thing is a dealbreaker. Hence my frustration.

The only part of my three AI AX chassis that I've found sub-par are the mag release paddles. I've had two of them break.
That said, AI North America shipped the replacements quickly. It's just weird that such a critical component is sub-par.

ColdBlood,
Accuracy International will always stand behind our products and our workmanship so anyone who is not happy should contact us and send the product back directly to us, not to whoever you bought it from.
It is not the first time we have received something back and either we did not make it or someone "modified" our part. It is clear that the stock sides you received are not for the chassis you have and it is also clear that we would never ship a product with a cut out like the one in your photo. FYI we do not ship directly to Midway.
Contact us at 540-368-3108 or [email protected] and we will sort something out for you.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Accuracy International will always stand behind our products and our workmanship so anyone who is not happy should contact us
Tom,

AI's stuff rocks so we have high expectations. It's also expensive and positioned as a premium product intended for extreme use and life-or-death reliability, so we feel justified in our high expectations.

It's nice to see your support of ColdBlood's issue with the obviously aftermarket cutout. Perhaps you could also comment on the monopod issue with the redesigned stock sides that has been discussed above. If you'd like to save some time, feel free to circle one of the following options to express AI's position:

1. Holy flying $&@%! That was a terrible oversight, we're going to fix it and the persons responsible have been sacked.

2. We don't give a rat's ass about your stupid monopod. The persons responsible for the previous sacking... have been sacked.

3. What's a monopod?

wm.penn, I could save time as you suggest and answer 4. None of the above.
I will comment as well.
Firstly, it should be known that the hole in earlier stock sides was not to accommodate a monopod. The designer of the monopod used existing holes in the frame and stock sides and designed a custom monopod to suit.
The new design of stock sides did not have a cut out because everyone does not want a monopod. Unlike the situation with the earlier monopod, we did work with the supplier of the monopod and I understand he has come up with a design that works with our new stock sides. It does require some of the stock side material to be cut out but that was what we agreed with him. We are checking on the status of this activity as a result of this thread and will post the information when we find out. You could also ask Accupod what they have to fit our new stock sides.
FYI nobody was fired, is being fired or will be fired and the persons who did not fire them will not be fired either.
I hope that gives you a little more information on the subject.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International