• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI ASXR 300 PRC Magazine Issue

Okay here we go:
Unmolested 12 Rd
Front: .600
Rear: .650

Huskys tweaked 300wm 10 Rd
Front: .720
Rear: .730

So @Vivacious Stallion interesting I think they sent you just plain factory 10 rounders back lol.

@Huskydriver Oh yeah, I have no doubt in my mind that they just sent me back standard factory mags to make me go away, but they seem to function with my reloads during shooting. I might buy another and test tweaking it to the dimensions you have above.

Reactions: Huskydriver
@Huskydriver Oh yeah, I have no doubt in my mind that they just sent me back standard factory mags to make me go away, but they seem to function with my reloads during shooting. I might buy another and test tweaking it to the dimensions you have above.

I mean... If it works it works at this point

Which thread was that 12 rounder part number posted in? Must have.
p/n: 6867
I’ve been using the 6867’s for a couple years now in my MC & SR. Can shoot a couple pics over when I get home.

Fun fact, the “new” 6867’s are just leftovers from the PSR contract & early WM MC’s. Hence why the “new” mags still need tweaks and tuning. They’re a Win Mag magazine with feed lips shaped for a tapered, belted case with an OAL like 200 thou shorter. Hence the lack of spring pressure on the front of the mag in the “new” and “old” designs.

Really the only saving grace of the 6867 is they didn’t taper the body of the magazine like the newer ones, so the gremlins can get tweaked out via feed lip mods, and you don’t have to worry about the round stack getting pinched like in the newer plastic baseplate design.

This all just boils down to design laziness and smoke n’ hoping that a PRC would run in mags they had already expressly engineered for a different cartridge.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Glad I found this thread. About to start loading for my MC 300 PRC finally. When I bought my 300 mag from mile high I just bought the one that matched what the magazine with the gun in 338 looked like. Ironically bought the 12 rounder thinking it was actually the older design compared to the plastic floor plates.much cheaper if I remember as well ($98 vs $130 or something)

I don’t mind tweaking the lips of the mag if needed. Yes it is a design flaw and likely one of the reasons the PRC line was going away (maybe rumor idk) but sometimes it can help smooth the gun out either way

Some of you never put the savage 4.27” action or early 4.4” in a chassis with AICS mags and it shows…..😁

Glad I found this thread. About to start loading for my MC 300 PRC finally. When I bought my 300 mag from mile high I just bought the one that matched what the magazine with the gun in 338 looked like. Ironically bought the 12 rounder thinking it was actually the older design compared to the plastic floor plates.much cheaper if I remember as well ($98 vs $130 or something)

I don’t mind tweaking the lips of the mag if needed. Yes it is a design flaw and likely one of the reasons the PRC line was going away (maybe rumor idk) but sometimes it can help smooth the gun out either way

Some of you never put the savage 4.27” action or early 4.4” in a chassis with AICS mags and it shows…..😁

Surely you jest sir 🤣

OP this is a great thread.

IMHO this is really a problem with 300 PRC vs 300 WinMag, has nothing to do with AI.

Basically 300 PRC needs custom magazines, which adds alot to switching costs if moving from 300 Win Mag.

IMHO...You guys are highlighting a design flaw of 300 PRC nobody is talking about.(y)

OP this is a great thread.

IMHO this is really a problem with 300 PRC vs 300 WinMag, has nothing to do with AI.

Basically 300 PRC needs custom magazines, which adds alot to switching costs if moving from 300 Win Mag.

IMHO...You guys are highlighting a design flaw of 300 PRC nobody is talking about.(y)
This is like trying to make a 6.5 PRC feed out of a .308 mag and getting pissed at 6.5 PRC because it doesn’t work.

“iTs a dEsiGn fLaW oF thE cArTriDgE” 🥴

I deal with this often. Companies that make 300 PRC AICS single-stack mags assume that it's simply a longer .300 Win Mag and it is NOT. However, we can get the single stack mags to run with feed lip tuning as well as reducing the spring pressure on the follower (with Accurate Mags). 300 PRC really needs it's own magazine or needs to be adapted from another cartridge besides the .300 Win Mag.

I have a hunch that this could function normally when shooting. However, I really don't want my customer to have to do a remedial action drill and strip the mag if he has a dead round on a bolt action rifle.

I'm not really upset that this isn't working as it should from the factory. I make a living as a gunsmith making things work better than they did from the factories. What I AM upset about is that I can't get anyone at AI on the phone or via email as an industry professional to suggest a course of action that I can present to my customer. The rifle was purchased as a .300 Win Mag and if he needs a different magazine to facilitate the caliber conversion to 300 PRC then fine, please let me know the magazine that I need and I'll get one on the way. If there's a procedure that needs to be done to tune the magazine properly, that's fine also. Provide the dimensions, I'll tune the mag accordingly, and done. But to have to resort to online forums to try and find a workable and repeatable solution because I can't get manufacturer support for obviously a known issue with a $11k rifle is embarrassing for them.

Reputations are hard won and easily lost.

I'm going to start with phone calls on Monday to AI. I'm not angry, I'm not going to "go off", and I'm going to be professional but I will find a solution for my customer from the manufacturer.

Folks on here have been kind enough to provide me with a few contacts there. I appreciate the help and suggestions presented here.

Ok, so here are a few pics of the modified 6867 12 rounders I have. These are all 100% functional mags used in my old MC and now SR. The feed lip dimensions as noted are front on top and rear on the bottom. Obviously as you can see by the variance this isn’t an exact science, but ballpark with about a .010-.015 flare towards the front of the mag works best.
259AEACD-953C-41B2-9A5D-EC74A0843A3A.jpeg

Also note the locking tab on the front of the mag has the top angled inward. This acts as a ramp to help cartridges not hang under the lip of the receiver. You can see the a-tip tracks on the inside of the mag and on this “ramp”
9C3CD046-379A-40FE-B9D7-82EEC8389107.jpeg

221B4557-6F16-43AB-9470-8AD84DEB7D0B.jpeg

You’ll note round presentation is very high in the mag, but this is consistent across the three I have. Once the feed lips are flared outward the round stack presents a lot straighter. Sorry for the lack of rounds, all I’ve got on hand are a couple proof dummies.
98F2736E-E220-46E6-B2A4-C131C59BA472.jpeg

48262495-4DEE-4BFF-8D3F-600FDDB179DF.jpeg

Very informative thread. WHY is AI not on top of this 300 PRC magazine issue?!

Ok, so here are a few pics of the modified 6867 12 rounders I have. These are all 100% functional mags used in my old MC and now SR. The feed lip dimensions as noted are front on top and rear on the bottom. Obviously as you can see by the variance this isn’t an exact science, but ballpark with about a .010-.015 flare towards the front of the mag works best.
View attachment 8104582

Also note the locking tab on the front of the mag has the top angled inward. This acts as a ramp to help cartridges not hang under the lip of the receiver. You can see the a-tip tracks on the inside of the mag and on this “ramp”
View attachment 8104577
View attachment 8104578

You’ll note round presentation is very high in the mag, but this is consistent across the three I have. Once the feed lips are flared outward the round stack presents a lot straighter. Sorry for the lack of rounds, all I’ve got on hand are a couple proof dummies.
View attachment 8104575
View attachment 8104576
Thank you for taking the time to post this. When you say that these are ”100% functional” can you confirm that they do work both during shooting and also cycling live (or dummy in this case) rounds out of the mag by simply running the bolt?

I can definately see the difference in the clearance at the neck and the beginning of the shoulder on your mags vs. the plastic bottom 10 round mag that I have. This is the area that binds on my mag with the round stack and prevents the stack from returning to the correct position. You can see it in the pictures from my earlier posts.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. When you say that these are ”100% functional” can you confirm that they do work both during shooting and also cycling live (or dummy in this case) rounds out of the mag by simply running the bolt?

I can definately see the difference in the clearance at the neck and the beginning of the shoulder on your mags vs. the plastic bottom 10 round mag that I have. This is the area that binds on my mag with the round stack and prevents the stack from returning to the correct position. You can see it in the pictures from my earlier posts.
Yep, these were tuned by basically filling up the mag, running the bolt until it was empty, and rinse/repeating until there weren’t any failures. They work in feed testing on the bench and in live fire.

The other ass pain about these like I touched on in the prev post is spring pressure on the front of the round stack. Not all of these 6867’s are created equal, and I’ve seen some not have enough ass in the spring to push the nose of the cartridge up the “ramp” in the photos, which leads to a nose dive when you try and run the next round in the chamber. This unfortunately can’t really be tuned, and you’ll notice mag 3 in the pics has the least use, largely because it has the weakest spring.

The spring issue is double bad with the new plastic baseplate mags because it’s trying to overcome friction from the round stack being pinched together by the taper of the mag body at the shoulder junction. You’ll see some that look like the follower is stuck in molasses the round stack moves upward so slowly.

Reactions: PerformanceWeapons
Yep, these were tuned by basically filling up the mag, running the bolt until it was empty, and rinse/repeating until there weren’t any failures. They work in feed testing on the bench and in live fire.

The other ass pain about these like I touched on in the prev post is spring pressure on the front of the round stack. Not all of these 6867’s are created equal, and I’ve seen some not have enough ass in the spring to push the nose of the cartridge up the “ramp” in the photos, which leads to a nose dive when you try and run the next round in the chamber. This unfortunately can’t really be tuned, and you’ll notice mag 3 in the pics has the least use, largely because it has the weakest spring.

The spring issue is double bad with the new plastic baseplate mags because it’s trying to overcome friction from the round stack being pinched together by the taper of the mag body at the shoulder junction. You’ll see some that look like the follower is stuck in molasses the round stack moves upward so slowly.
That’s the exact problem of the last 2 plastic baseplate 10 rnd mags I’ve had. The design/dimensions of the mag body coupled with a spring pressure issue causes that exact problem, which prevents the round stack from returning to the correct position to feed. I experimented tonight with cutting down the spring from a 5.56 10 rnd Magpul PMAG and inserting it in the front of the AI spring as a “helper” spring. The problem is that the PMAG spring is too stiff, which reverses the issue. Now the stack rides “nose high” which causes the bolt to run over the rounds in the mag and not feed. The solution would be to move the mag spring forward about a 1/4” which would even out the pressure on the follower, but that would require the follower to be updated for revised location for the rivets.

The frustrating part of this again is not being able to talk to someone at AI. They automatically sent me a replacement magazine, which clearly isn’t the issue. If someone would have told me that the manual is incorrect and you really need a new mag for proper function and here’s the part number, we don’t have a problem. I don’t think this is a warranty issue as the rifle probably runs fine with .300 Win Mag ammo which is how it was purchased. After all this is a $11k rifle with a $5k scope (Tangent Theta) and $500 Spuhr mount, my customer doesn’t mind spending $150 if he needs a new mag for the conversion. The issue is that if I could have talked to someone at AI for 15 min, we could have resolved the problem for him 6 weeks ago and they wouldn’t have had to send a replacement magazine that didn’t work.

That’s the exact problem of the last 2 plastic baseplate 10 rnd mags I’ve had. The design/dimensions of the mag body coupled with a spring pressure issue causes that exact problem, which prevents the round stack from returning to the correct position to feed. I experimented tonight with cutting down the spring from a 5.56 10 rnd Magpul PMAG and inserting it in the front of the AI spring as a “helper” spring. The problem is that the PMAG spring is too stiff, which reverses the issue. Now the stack rides “nose high” which causes the bolt to run over the rounds in the mag and not feed. The solution would be to move the mag spring forward about a 1/4” which would even out the pressure on the follower, but that would require the follower to be updated for revised location for the rivets.

The frustrating part of this again is not being able to talk to someone at AI. They automatically sent me a replacement magazine, which clearly isn’t the issue. If someone would have told me that the manual is incorrect and you really need a new mag for proper function and here’s the part number, we don’t have a problem. I don’t think this is a warranty issue as the rifle probably runs fine with .300 Win Mag ammo which is how it was purchased. After all this is a $11k rifle with a $5k scope (Tangent Theta) and $500 Spuhr mount, my customer doesn’t mind spending $150 if he needs a new mag for the conversion. The issue is that if I could have talked to someone at AI for 15 min, we could have resolved the problem for him 6 weeks ago and they wouldn’t have had to send a replacement magazine that didn’t work.
Believe me, I feel your pain. I’ve owned both of their multi-cal guns now, both factory 300 PRC’s. Both guns shipped with these jankety half-baked bullshit plastic base pad mags 3 years apart from each other.

You are absolutely correct that they feed balls on in a win mag, but they sold these same mags in/for factory PRC’s for years without rectifying a thing. Shit they just gave you one as a bandaid for a PRC that inevitably failed.

Ten thousand dollar rifles that have a dice roll chance of feeding with the mag they shipped with, for at least 3 years. Probably 5+ since they’re still giving them out as warranty items. Gives ya the warm and fuzzies 🥰

Last edited:
Well I have the same problem with mine using the 10 round mag. However when I cycle the bolt with "authority" it feeds perfectly. I'm going to pretend its a Mauser action :rolleyes:.

UPDATE: We’re working on some in-house solutions for this. We should have preliminary testing complete by the end of next week. I’ll keep this thread updated to our progress. The goal is to provide a solution that will continue to work with .300 Win Mag and/or be reversible to allow this functionality. We don’t want to alter the magazine in such a way as to require the user to buy another mag if they want to go back to .300 Win Mag.

We have been working with a new 3D printed magazine follower design. The good news (so far) is that this will be a cost-effective upgrade and still allow interchangeability with .300 Win Mag cartridges. We will do live fire testing next week, but benchtop testing has shown greatly improved function with 300 PRC cartridges.

I will post an update as soon as we have completed live fire testing with 300 PRC and 300 Win Mag.

C1A5DD59-D986-4C7E-AA7E-D0E4F651B590.jpeg

We have been working with a new 3D printed magazine follower design. The good news (so far) is that this will be a cost-effective upgrade and still allow interchangeability with .300 Win Mag cartridges. We will do live fire testing next week, but benchtop testing has shown greatly improved function with 300 PRC cartridges.

I will post an update as soon as we have completed live fire testing with 300 PRC and 300 Win Mag.

View attachment 8113141
Please sign me up.

View attachment 8113141
just to let you know that's a 338 LM , magazine 300 WIN MAG has narrower body.

IMG_0898.JPG

.300 Win Mag is the magazine that we are developing a new follower for which will allow functionality with 300 PRC. This is also the magazine that AI claims in the owner's manual will work with 300 PRC but does not in the factory configuration.

sorry looking at pics above with no plastic base
Again, no.
Like I mentioned earlier those are .300WM mags from a decade ago when the PSR was a thing. Same body and follower as a .338 mag, different feed lips. That’s why those are 12 rounders and not 10’s.

Again, no.
Like I mentioned earlier those are .300WM mags from a decade ago when the PSR was a thing. Same body and follower as a .338 mag, different feed lips. That’s why those are 12 rounders and not 10’s.
Obviously the pics with "300 win mag" are self explanatory, but here was some discussion earlier in the thread saying PSR mags were generic. and the SKU page on Mile High shows they are marked "30 cal" or ".300" etc -- not the same as the Win Mag specific ones (AXMC/ASR etc). Some body please correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Last edited:
Obviously the pics with "300 win mag" are self explanatory, but here was some discussion earlier in the thread saying PSR mags were generic. and the SKU page on Mile High shows they are not marked "30 cal" or ".300" etc -- not the same as the Win Mag specific ones (AXMC/ASR etc). Some body please correct me if I'm wrong tho.
lol ok, you’re wrong.

IMG_1849.jpeg

No, you're proving my point. They are generic .300/ 30 cal and not "300 win mag".

Thanks.
Yeah man, and the Lapua mags AI makes that just say .338 on the back are generic too.
Can run .338 Federal and 338-378 no problem

UPDATE: Live fire testing is complete and the magazine ran flawlessly. We can also confirm that compatibility with .300 Win Mag is maintained. This truly is a better mousetrap. Upgrade cost is $40 which includes follower, installation, and feed lip tuning (if necessary). Return shipping to the customer is not included. Reminder: This upgrade is for the AI factory 10 round ASXR magazine in .300 Win Mag with the plastic magazine base plate for use with 300 PRC. Please contact us at [email protected] I will DM phone number on request.

Got my mag back from performance weapons today and I cycled many hornady ELDM without issue. Going to live fire test in 2 days, will give a follow up. Many thanks to Jason at PW for great customer service and finding a solution!

Looks good...last check for field use seems to be recoil management.

UPDATE 07/08/23: We now have a revised 300 PRC follower for the older AI .300 Win Mag magazines with the welded, non-removable steel base plate. We've done nearly 2 dozen magazine upgrades for customers with no reported issues. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can help.

[email protected]
Count me as another satisfied customer!
Many thanks to Jason for helping me fix my AI AXSR 300WM magazine to feed 300 PRC smoothly.
Feeds 300 PRC just like how an AI AXSR should feed now.

Last edited:
Bumping for awareness.

I had the same issues with my 300 PRC mags as others have shown in this thread. Rounds were nose diving at about a 50% rate. AI took about a month to do nothing other than send me a new mag. It would have been nice to actually talk to someone about the issue, or even tune the mag a little, instead of just sending a new mag and hoping the problem goes away. The new mag measured the same as my old one and predictably still had the nose dive issues. AI ignored me after I tried to tell them the new mag had the same issues. Total BS IMO.

On the other hand, Jason @PerformanceWeapons had my mags turned around in less than 24 hours after getting them. Fan fucking tastic CS. I just put 120 rounds through three mags and had 100% reliability. The mags now feed just as good as 308 whether partial or full. Shame AI couldn't provide a fix, but just glad good guys like Jason are around to pick up the slack.

If you're having trouble with 300 PRC mags, definitely get in contact with Jason.

Bumping for awareness.

I had the same issues with my 300 PRC mags as others have shown in this thread. Rounds were nose diving at about a 50% rate. AI took about a month to do nothing other than send me a new mag. It would have been nice to actually talk to someone about the issue, or even tune the mag a little, instead of just sending a new mag and hoping the problem goes away. The new mag measured the same as my old one and predictably still had the nose dive issues. AI ignored me after I tried to tell them the new mag had the same issues. Total BS IMO.

On the other hand, Jason @PerformanceWeapons had my mags turned around in less than 24 hours after getting them. Fan fucking tastic CS. I just put 120 rounds through three mags and had 100% reliability. The mags now feed just as good as 308 whether partial or full. Shame AI couldn't provide a fix, but just glad good guys like Jason are around to pick up the slack.

If you're having trouble with 300 PRC mags, definitely get in contact with Jason.
While I hate that you had the original issue, I’m glad that we could take care of the issue for you and get you running again. We keep the followers in stock, so we’re usually able to turn these around in 48 hours once we receive them. We can also supply new AI mags with the followers installed if you need extras. Thanks again for the feedback and we appreciate your business.

While I hate that you had the original issue, I’m glad that we could take care of the issue for you and get you running again. We keep the followers in stock, so we’re usually able to turn these around in 48 hours once we receive them. We can also supply new AI mags with the followers installed if you need extras. Thanks again for the feedback and we appreciate your business.
That's fantastic for sure. (y)