• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT fixed to AX folder. Conversion Instructions and pictures

Anyone have a tip on how not to get the epoxy into the screw retention holes?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you see a ton of excess in the holes you could try to wipe it out with a q-tip prior to installing the screws. But like @MysizeisMAGNUM said above, the epoxy basically acts as a really good thread protector. If you ever did remove it down the road, you'll have to heat it up first and the screws will come right out.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you see a ton of excess in the holes you could try to wipe it out with a q-tip prior to installing the screws. But like @MysizeisMAGNUM said above, the epoxy basically acts as a really good thread protector. If you ever did remove it down the road, you'll have to heat it up first and the screws will come right out.

Thanks, that's just what I'm going to do.

With the help of a couple forum members, who were nice enough to answer some questions, I completed the swap of the AT folder with an AX folder. I'd say anyone with good tinkering skills can perform the upgrade as long as you read the instructions and plan your moves.

The AX stock - beefier than I expected - I thought since it was skeleton it would be a bit lighter. Considering it's all aluminum, I should have known better.

IMG_0777-1JPG_JPG-937817.jpg

I followed the supplied instructions and dismantled the rifle's skins and removed the trigger. I used my Wagner heat gun on high to loosen the Devcon epoxy taking care not to heat it too much so as to possibly affect the receiver bedding. My plastic mallet and a few whacks to the butt stock and the stock came off.

IMG_0792-1_JPG-937821.jpg

I made the mistake of removing the retaining screws on the extension so the stock came out and the extension stayed put. I just heated the extension, used a thick screwdriver through the pivot hole and whacked it off with the mallet.

IMG_0778-1_JPG-937818.jpg

The receiver end where the extension fits.

IMG_0780-1_JPG-937819.jpg

The inside of the receiver extension showing some of the Devcon and how it flows into the reliefs inside the stock extension. There are also scalloped indents on each corner of the receiver extension where the Devcon flows.

IMG_0789-1_JPG-937820.jpg

Cleaned up the best I could using the heat gun, a flat edged screwdriver and an exacto knife.

IMG_0795-1_JPG-937822.jpg

I degreased all the parts, mixed the Devcon and liberally applied it inside the stock extension and on the outside of the receiver extension. I did not worry about the screw or flush cup holes and some of the Devcon flowed into those areas. I used a toothpick to clean the screw holes as they need to be somewhat clean to allow the screws to fully seat and inserted and tightened the screws and the female catch cup. The excess was easy to clean with an alcohol swab. I manged to not get any of the Devcon on me or the rifle. :)

It will sit for a day to cure and then I'll put the skins back on. In hindsight, I would have rested the rifle barrel down and stock up to allow the Devcon to flow down into the receiver extension. I let it cure as you see which probably had the Devcon settle down into the extension. However, I filled the cavity with enough where it's probably not an issue.

IMG_0796-1_JPG-937816.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone with a left hand AT been brave enough to try to turn the hinge around on their AX buttstock conversion yet?

Has anyone with a left hand AT been brave enough to try to turn the hinge around on their AX buttstock conversion yet?

I confirmed with Euro Optic that AI won't be offering a LH version of the AX buttstock (even though they make one for the factory LH AX).

All you need to do is de-bond the buttstock rear of the hinge, flip it 180°, and re-bond it. That will flip the hinge mechanism, and the front tube section that gets bonded to the chassis can remain untouched since it's symmetric L-to-R. The only real concern would be discoloring the cerakote if you used a propane torch rather than a heat gun.

This will be my plan if I ever buy another LH AT to put in my chassis, I would buy an AX buttstock and flip the hinge.

Hey guys, the new AX "Low" cheek piece I designed is available now through Anarchy Outdoors!

It's perfect for the AT/AX buttstock swap, and nets you a cheek piece that has an identical contour to the factory version, but goes 0.375" lower. That means you won't have to buy new rings or a new $400 Spuhr mount in order to get a perfect sight picture with your new buttstock. This is about a 1 minute install; remove the factory cheek piece with the single M6 screw, then install the new metal bracket and cheek piece with 3 screws and you're good to go.

I have a couple tweaks to make on the AX-AICS version, but that will be available soon as well. The AICS version is slightly different than the factory AX buttstock to allow for more bolt knob clearance, so the cheek piece bracket needs to be modified to go as low as the AX version. So if you have a post-14 AX-AICS chassis with a R700 or Vudoo barreled action, hold tight for that specific version so you can ditch the tall rings.

The thumb rests are in stock and available too if you're thinking about picking one of those up. Also hoping to have the AT bipod mounts done SOON!

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited:
Here’s another pic with the bolt back to show how low the new cheek piece is - it’s just about the same height as the top of the firing pin body. That should help give you a visual with the factory AX cheek piece as to how much lower it will be.

D7350885-4CA9-4244-9A09-B6FA5B24E405.jpeg

Has anyone thought of trying to see if this would work on an AW folder. I have a 2012 AW which uses the same plastics as the AT and I am curious if I could do the upgrade.

Has anyone thought of trying to see if this would work on an AW folder. I have a 2012 AW which uses the same plastics as the AT and I am curious if I could do the upgrade.

Pull the skins and post some pics of the area in front of the hinge. It may be the same.

Reactions: samb300
Here’s another pic with the bolt back to show how low the new cheek piece is - it’s just about the same height as the top of the firing pin body. That should help give you a visual with the factory AX cheek piece as to how much lower it will be.

View attachment 7081485

Samb300 .....dose the cheek piece have some side to side adjustment like the factory one dose?

Samb300 .....dose the cheek piece have some side to side adjustment like the factory one dose?

Yes it does, though not quite as much. It’s about +/- 0.100”, where the factory one is +/- 0.200”.

Sam

Many thanks to the OP and all who contributed to this thread. I bought a fixed stock AT because of the price difference ( and would do it again.) But ran across a folding buttstock here at a good price and picked it up. This thread made removal and installation a lot easier. Thanks! One warning, I almost bought JB Weld to put it back together. That would be a mistake, as it has a higher temperature resistance/tensile strength and would be difficult to take apart again. Use the correct Devcon Plastic Steel.
Steve Ferguson

Glad everyone is getting good use out of this.

Has anyone had apart any legacy models to see what all these buttstocks may swap to?

Such as older AW 1.0, 1.5 2.0 AEs AXs etc?

Glad everyone is getting good use out of this.

Has anyone had apart any legacy models to see what all these buttstocks may swap to?

Such as older AW 1.0, 1.5 2.0 AEs AXs etc?

I've been watching this thread a while from interest in a chassis swap and I've got an 08 manufacture 2.0 AW I can pull out for measurements and pics. I do believe it's the style with the receiver side of the tang held in place with a pin.

Did anyone confirm that debonding the tang from the AX stock and using the pinned receiver one would work?

Last edited:
Here's the measurements on an 09 14xxx serial 2.0 AW

Attachments

• 20200109_174930.jpg
    20200109_174930.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200109_174909.jpg
    20200109_174909.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200109_174843.jpg
    20200109_174843.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200109_174744.jpg
    20200109_174744.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200109_174550.jpg
    20200109_174550.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 92
Do not take an AW apart!
Sell it to me and buy an AT to covert ?

I actually posted it in the for sale section tonight. I'm not highly motivated but I do think pulling apart an AW would be a waste. So I'm gonna see what happens

Reactions: yej0001
Has anybody done a DIY conversion for a pre-14 AX? If so how difficult was it to remove the pins?

That's good to know. Wouldn't have been easier to politely say that than try to be a smartass?
I think what you meant to say was "Thanks! I'm glad someone like @6brshooter did all the up-front work and documentation so I didn't have to spend the time and money figuring it out myself, and thanks for sharing that link to the thread I couldn't find after diligently searching on SH."

In that case, you're welcome :)

I think what you meant to say was "Thanks! I'm glad someone like @6brshooter did all the up-front work and documentation so I didn't have to spend the time and money figuring it out myself, and thanks for sharing that link to the thread I couldn't find after diligently searching on SH."

In that case, you're welcome :)

It really would kill you not to be a smartass, wouldn't it?

Would it kill you to be appreciative for being spoon fed the answer you're looking for?

Also, this is the internet and you're not my dad, so I'll be a smartass if I want to :ROFLMAO:

Would it kill you to be appreciative for being spoon fed the answer you're looking for?

Also, this is the internet and you're not my dad, so I'll be a smartass if I want to :ROFLMAO:
One can be appreciative of information on the Hide without being talked down on by somebody intentionally being a smartass. Yep, you got a right to be a smartass. I got a right to call you out on it. So have a nice life. I'm sure you're a blast at parties.