• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AT to AX buttstock conversion

Luvman

Minuteman
Mar 17, 2003
Northern KY
Looks like eurooptic has AX buttstocks back in stock to convert the AT.

Anybody know what Epoxy AI uses on the them?

TIA

For those that have done the install, how have you got on with scope height?

I have ordered the butt stock and was advised by AI U.K. I would either need the high picatinny rail as supplied with early AT rifles or a high scope mount.

I have a spuhr mount and was hoping to get away with the low picatinny rail.

For those that have done the install, how have you got on with scope height?

I have ordered the butt stock and was advised by AI U.K. I would either need the high picatinny rail as supplied with early AT rifles or a high scope mount.

I have a spuhr mount and was hoping to get away with the low picatinny rail.

I hadn’t even thought about scope height. I have the low picatinny rail and an AI scope mount. I hope I won’t be needing to replace them.

I think you’ll be alright with the scope height, but it’s almost certainly going to be very very close. I don’t have experience with the AX stock on the AT, but my 40X repeater is in an AX chassis, it has a really low profile Seekins 30 moa rail and a Spuhr 3001 for my March 3-24x52. I had to file the bottom of the front flip cover to clear the AX rail without the top picarinny rail installed, so it is basically the lowest I can possibly mount the March with the AX chassis. I have a Hoptic saddle blanket on the cheek piece, and I have it all the way down as low as it will go to get proper eye alignment. If your mount barely clears the barrel on your AT, I’m almost certain it will be too low for the AX stock, but if you have a little gap, you’ll probably just barely get away with it.

I think you’ll be alright with the scope height, but it’s almost certainly going to be very very close. I don’t have experience with the AX stock on the AT, but my 40X repeater is in an AX chassis, it has a really low profile Seekins 30 moa rail and a Spuhr 3001 for my March 3-24x52. I had to file the bottom of the front flip cover to clear the AX rail without the top picarinny rail installed, so it is basically the lowest I can possibly mount the March with the AX chassis. I have a Hoptic saddle blanket on the cheek piece, and I have it all the way down as low as it will go to get proper eye alignment. If your mount barely clears the barrel on your AT, I’m almost certain it will be too low for the AX stock, but if you have a little gap, you’ll probably just barely get away with it.

From what I can tell from pictures I’ve seen it will be close, but it should work.

My current set up for reference

Attachments

• 7D2EC542-F076-4737-9D69-A931BA2CBDED.jpeg
    7D2EC542-F076-4737-9D69-A931BA2CBDED.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 05FBE329-080B-44EE-B915-7C5BC335AD00.jpeg
    05FBE329-080B-44EE-B915-7C5BC335AD00.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 108
You should be good with that, especially if you don’t put any pad on the cheek rest, but the AX cheek rest is deceptively high, so it’s hard to be certain.

I have a solution for the too-tall AX cheekpiece that I have been waiting on for probably a year to see if anyone got around to doing this swap. I don’t know exactly when I’ll get them made but if people are popping up on SH that want them I’ll pursue it sooner than later.

Will the cheek piece interfere with the bolt if it’s lowered? From the pictures I’ve seen posted the bolt gets rather close to the AX cheek piece.

Nope. For the short action AT/AX conversion or using it on a short action AX there’s no interference with the bolt. On the long action AXMC it would require a slightly modified version since that bolt body goes underneath the factory cheek piece when the bolt is back.

Reactions: Luvman
I have a solution for the too-tall AX cheekpiece that I have been waiting on for probably a year to see if anyone got around to doing this swap. I don’t know exactly when I’ll get them made but if people are popping up on SH that want them I’ll pursue it sooner than later.

I’m onboard with this. I’m putting off my conversion because of this issue.

I’m onboard with this. I’m putting off my conversion because of this issue.

I just got done with my conversion. I have the low rail and an AI scope mount (40mm I believe). The Cheek weld works for me all the way down.

I have the High Action Rail with 1.18in high Spuhr SP-4001 in my 34mm Kahles K624i

I tried with Low rail and 1.18...but i had to tilt my head too far forward that I felt my eye were looking up through my forehead just to get ok-ish line of sight. Not ideal for me.

Option 1: Low Rail and Spuhr SP-4006 1.35inch

Option 2: High Rail and Spuhr SP-4001 1.18inch

FWIW...the Low rail is 7mm (0.275in) and the High rail is 11mm (0.433in) at the back per AINA
20210513_134247.jpg

SquarePic_20210513_13464541.jpg

I have moved to the high rail and a spuhr 4602 (1.5” and 6mil incline).

The black stock looks good with pale brown!

Would this be what you're referring to?

As for the AT to AX butt conversion, I had the AI low rail on my AT, and had to install the stock/high rail to get the cheek weld to work after the conversion. Rings are ARC mediums (I think).

Reactions: BurnOut
Finally got around to converting my AT to an AX buttstock. Does anyone know if the tension is adjustable on the hinge? My full AX rifle and the AT stock I just removed had a good amount of tension such that the stock couldn't flop around on its own when unlatched. I am running @samb300 thumb rest on both rifles so I don't have the ball catch installed. The new AX replacement stock folds as if running on bearings.

Reactions: samb300
Finally got around to converting my AT to an AX buttstock. Does anyone know if the tension is adjustable on the hinge? My full AX rifle and the AT stock I just removed had a good amount of tension such that the stock couldn't flop around on its own when unlatched. I am running @samb300 thumb rest on both rifles so I don't have the ball catch installed. The new AX replacement stock folds as if running on bearings.
The tension can definitely vary from hinge to hinge. The only way I know to even try to tighten it is the two set screws on the hinge, you'll see them here:
1657503290934.png

If that doesn't work, I don't think there's much that can be done.

The tension can definitely vary from hinge to hinge. The only way I know to even try to tighten it is the two set screws on the hinge, you'll see them here:
View attachment 7909614

Sir Sam,
Since stock tension is the subject, would the Vision stock have tension adjustment? No biggie if not, but curious…

View attachment 7909614

Thanks I did try loosening and retightening these earlier and didn’t see any effect. Gonna give Mile High a ring tomorrow and see if they can shed any light on this.

Fwiw, my AX is free-er flowing than the AX conversion I bought when I converted my AT to the AX buttstock (pics earlier in this thread). I dont know if that means ball bearings smooth, but it smoother than the other. I wouldnt be able to hold the rifle vertical and swing the buttstock side to side...is that what you are experiencing?

I know the purpose is simply to open and collapse and so long as it lonks open and locks close Im happy. I dont know of a reason Id need tension on it when opening....expect perhaps to not pinch my finger in the hinge because it opened faster than I expected.

Fwiw, my AX is free-er flowing than the AX conversion I bought when I converted my AT to the AX buttstock (pics earlier in this thread). I dont know if that means ball bearings smooth, but it smoother than the other. I wouldnt be able to hold the rifle vertical and swing the buttstock side to side...is that what you are experiencing?

I know the purpose is simply to open and collapse and so long as it lonks open and locks close Im happy. I dont know of a reason Id need tension on it when opening....expect perhaps to not pinch my finger in the hinge because it opened faster than I expected.
So on the original AT stock and my AX complete rifle you could hold the rifle vertically, muzzle down, and move the stock to a 45 degree position and it would hold there due to the tension that the hinge has. On the AX conversion I just installed it will just fall closed under its own weight once unlocked. This is not an issue if I had the ball catch installed, but I have to remove that catch if I want to run the AO thumb shelf. Not a huge deal but I wonder about it snagging in my pack or even just in the safe as I like to store the rifle in the collapsed configuration. If I can’t find a way to increase the tension then I may have to forgo the thumb shelf and put back the catch.

So on the original AT stock and my AX complete rifle you could hold the rifle vertically, muzzle down, and move the stock to a 45 degree position and it would hold there due to the tension that the hinge has. On the AX conversion I just installed it will just fall closed under its own weight once unlocked. This is not an issue if I had the ball catch installed, but I have to remove that catch if I want to run the AO thumb shelf. Not a huge deal but I wonder about it snagging in my pack or even just in the safe as I like to store the rifle in the collapsed configuration. If I can’t find a way to increase the tension then I may have to forgo the thumb shelf and put back the catch.
Request a resolution if it cannot do this

20220710_195711.jpg

Worst case scenario, you can do what I do and you the side folder latch as your thumb rest 🤷🏽‍♂️
20220710_200258.jpg

Reactions: kydron
Sir Sam,
Since stock tension is the subject, would the Vision stock have tension adjustment? No biggie if not, but curious…
No, the Vision hinge is similar to the AI hinge, the tightness is defined by the fit between the two hinge pieces and the bushing.

Reactions: SFree