• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI at-x vs Barrett Mrad

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
Have spent some time behind a few barrett mrad smr but none behind a ai at-x…..

Given both a 6.5creed… whats everybody have to offer on pros/con one vs the other?

Spend some time behind an AI...Anyone's opinion is just that.

Go to a match and I'm sure someone has an AI that they will let you try. Some don't like the grip and some don't like the trigger

Personally, I think the MRAD is nothing I could buy...caliber conversion method is primitive compared to the AI. Action isn't as smooth, trigger is not as good....I have no experience using an MRAD in bad weather. Both my AI rifles shoot the same in whatever weather you're shooting at

Reactions: Huskydriver
I have both mrad and ax. For what you want it for I'd go the atx all day. Nice short action and features that allow for gaming if so desired. However, if you want to ever go long range, the mrad allows that. It's a very heavy solid rifle that has one of the smoothest linear shot impulses I've shot. Mine is a 338lm and I was shooting 2050y(our longest range) back in September and was just hammering it. Finished the last 4 shots in a row. One thing I did to make it magic was file out some trigger creep and replace the 2nd stage trigger spring. Took 5 overpriced springs to figure it out. Better know what you are doing. It is near perfect. I'd start with an atx though. It will impress.

Does it have to be either?

Barrett doesn't really support the commercial market, and just sold to an Australian company so likely even less commercial support going forward. Tough to get barrels, even though it's main selling feature is caliber conversions. That alone would make it a no from me.

Handle an AI before you consider buying one. Well built rifles that are well supported - easy to get barrels. However, the ergonomics may not be for you, the OEM trigger is only so-so, and the bolt lift is horrendously heavy. Despite what people say and what the AT-X was targeted for, AI's aren't comp guns (not that you said that's your goal for the rifle). Just something to keep in mind.

My vote is for a custom. However that's just my preference, it's a bit subjective of what people like and dislike in a rifle. If you know what features you like in a rifle, you can get the perfect rifle for YOU built.

Reactions: JakeM