• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AX vs Barrett MRAD: Which is better and why?

AI AX vs Barrett MRAD: Which is better and why?

• AI AX

Votes: 134 77.9%
  • Barrett MRAD

Votes: 38 22.1%

• Total voters
Recommending an AI over the MRAD is like picking out a girl friend for your best friend. It's a waste of time and never turns out well because it's all your fault when things go sideways.
I recently had the pleasure of spinning up an MRAD 300 NM barrel. The rifle shoots extremely well. Here's the but. Compare the cost of rebarreling each. One requires an extension and some hardware to swap extensions and the other doesn't. YMMV

Recommending an AI over the MRAD is like picking out a girl friend for your best friend. It's a waste of time and never turns out well because it's all your fault when things go sideways.
I recently had the pleasure of spinning up an MRAD 300 NM barrel. The rifle shoots extremely well. Here's the but. Compare the cost of rebarreling each. One requires an extension and some hardware to swap extensions and the other doesn't. YMMV
I hope you don’t mind me asking - I know you’re an expert around here and I’m a beginner - but would you anticipate a spun up a 6mm creedmoor (or similar) barrel for the MRAD causing any pierced primers due to it’s Large Firing Pin? Not sure if the extension affects this in any way? I enjoy shooting PRS and ELR and I’ve been really tempted to get an MRAD, but I don’t want to have any issues. Thanks!

I hope you don’t mind me asking - I know you’re an expert around here and I’m a beginner - but would you anticipate a spun up a 6mm creedmoor (or similar) barrel for the MRAD causing any pierced primers due to it’s Large Firing Pin? Not sure if the extension affects this in any way? I enjoy shooting PRS and ELR and I’ve been really tempted to get an MRAD, but I don’t want to have any issues. Thanks!
Pressure is measured in pounds per square inch. Larger diameter pins can be problematic because of this. It can be somewhat managed by the fit of the pin in the bolt and to some degree the shape of tip.
I'll add you can't fool Mother Nature. More pressure means more potential problems. If you think you need more speed go to a larger case.

Hi,

O man, these this vs that threads, lolol

Nobody ever really says the truth bluntly, haha so let me be of assistance....

IF you have to ask which is better and why then you most definitely would not notice the difference in either of them IF you made the decision to actually get either one of them. So that is win win for you.
IF you have to ask strangers which is better and why then you most definitely are not going to notice a difference on the target no matter which of them you actually go with. So that is another win win for you.
IF you are looking for other peoples opinions in order to sway your decision process then you should spend more time shooting and learn what YOU like and why, instead of what someone else likes. And that could either save you money in the long run or cost you a shitload more money in the long run.

The reality is you should buy whichever one YOU like and not what someone else likes.
Could you imagine buying health insurance based off what someone else likes about their plan.......

Sincerely,
Theis
Well said

I think we forget America was won using a lot of British Brown Bess rifles. If you own an AI you're just following American tradition ;)

Reactions: Krob95 and candyx
You only get one shot at this, so make it worthwhile. Either choice is a good one. I chose AI for personal reasons, much like choosing a reticle, it has to fulfill your requirements.

Still working on that one shot of mine!

You only get one shot at this, so make it worthwhile. Either choice is a good one. I chose AI for personal reasons, much like choosing a reticle, it has to fulfill your requirements.

Reactions: keegan96
I’ll toss this monkey wrench into the discussion: The top 8 spots in the US International Regional Amateur Professional ELR World Championship were all taken by PSA PA10 6.5CM rifles. No AI or Barrett placed in the Top 10 despite being well represented in the field.

PSA: “Just as good.

I’ll toss this monkey wrench into the discussion: The top 8 spots in the US International Regional Amateur Professional ELR World Championship were all taken by PSA PA10 6.5CM rifles. No AI or Barrett placed in the Top 10 despite being well represented in the field.

Sorry never heard of this comp.
Details please.

Sorry never heard of this comp.
Details please.

What rock you been hidin’ under, brah?

“The USIRAPELRWC is the world’s oldest and most prestigious long range shooting sports competition — more commonly referred to as “The Masters” of shooting. First held in 1783 in Lyon, France, The Masters was won by none other than Napoleon Bonapart himself, establishing him as the greatest shooter in the world at that time. Held every four years, just like the olympics, The Masters is viewed as the single greatest competition in all of shooting sports. As Abraham Lincoln said in his address at Gettysburg — “The only greater honor one could be blessed with than being elected President of these great United States would be winning The Master of shooting.” This is why every USIRAPELRWC champion has been awarded by the POTUS since Lincoln.”

— direct quote from the Encyclopedia Britannica

Hi,

@TheHorta
Is that the ELR comp where the one gunsmith guy went on facebook rant and threatened to kill members of other manufacturers Teams.....

Sincerely,
Theis

I see you know it well. The stakes are high, so it can get heated. Everyone wants the coveted USIRAPELRWC trophy and the accompanying night in the Lincoln bedroom at the White House.

“The USIRAPELRWC is the world’s oldest and most prestigious long range shooting sports competition — more commonly referred to as “The Masters” of shooting. First held in 1783 in Lyon, France, The Masters was won by none other than Napoleon Bonapart himself, establishing him as the greatest shooter in the world at that time. Held every four years, just like the olympics, The Masters is viewed as the single greatest competition in all of shooting sports. As Abraham Lincoln said in his address at Gettysburg — “The only greater honor one could be blessed with than being elected President of these great United States would be winning The Master of shooting.” This is why every USIRAPELRWC champion has been awarded by the POTUS since Lincoln.”

Damn
Sorry I missed this one the last 40 years I've been shooting. Must of had blinders on the whole time.

Damn
Sorry I missed this one the last 40 years I've been shooting. Must of had blinders on the whole time.

Well, you are from California, and they don’t allow BB guns and Spitballing at The Masters, so your ignorance is excusable.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee

You must be a staff writer for the Babylonbee.

• Love
Reactions: TheHorta
California
Not hardly

D740EEE1-E5F1-452F-8B29-619DCB3BD808.gif

Reactions: Mute
I don't tend to be rough on equipment, but I've owned and shot MRADs since they came out. Never had a problem with a mag. I shoot .338, .300WM, .308 & .260 R.
While I'm lacking your .260R, with 7 MRADS across the full rainbow of Barrett hues, including the newer MK22, I can second your caliber experiences, and add experiences with the MRAD in 6.5CM, 7mmRM, 300PRC, 300NM, and 338NM. Never had any groups over 1MOA with different loadings performing persistently down to 1/4MOA, feeling any issues rooted in the ammo SD/ES arena, rather than the MRAD. Barrel changes reflect zero to insignificant zero changes when performed precisely and consistently.....including barrel pre-loading, accurate calibrated torque wrench (MK22 Deployment Kit Fix-it-stick 10% is handy downrange but don't cut it for precision), and torque procedure......changes are smooth, quick, and uneventfully routine. Any shift explored consistently came back to scope tracking precision. Have used NF, S&B, TT, Leupolds Mark4 and Mark 5HD, and even Vortex scopes on the MRADs over time. Use a common base zero from which to adjust to specific caliber zero for specific developed loads. MRAD mags NEVER an issue......non-discussion point. Find no reason to explore the AI world. While AI could possibly be more accurate and reliable, those differentials would be irrelevant and not worth my heartbeats to explore as I become the limiting factor. Plus, I prefer to buy American, and I always prefer to go home with the one I came to the dance with. Yeah, I'm satisfied with MRAD.

Last edited:
You should throw in a rape whistle with your brownells “special edition” so the person who buys it can blow the whistle in the future so they don’t get raped again. [/QUOTE said:
Almost pissed my pants😂🤣😂

When and where was this supposed competition? Couldn't find anything about it. I must be living under the same rock.

1607782230042.png
635848208600917440-Scott-Buisch.jpeg

Both wearing white butchers jacket, think it through before making a purchase.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
AI all the way

More popular so more support and places to buy

Has vast .mil usage under their belt, they were one of the OGs of hard use rifles.

You sure it's not the same guy? Knida looks that way to me! Just missing the hat while working on the rifle..... ;)

Yes he's butcher during the week and does rifle warranty work on the weekends.

Looking at this based on my intellectual capacity and vast knowledge and skills acquired both home and abroad, tactically and tentatively right from the start of time especially in the light of ecclesiastical evolution and I’ve come to a clear concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I really have nothing to say about this.

THANK YOU

Looking at this based on my intellectual capacity and vast knowledge and skills acquired both home and abroad, tactically and tentatively right from the start of time especially in the light of ecclesiastical evolution and I’ve come to a clear concrete, definite and profound conclusion that I really have nothing to say about this.

THANK YOU
I’m sure the OP will find your post useful.