• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI AXMC tolerances issues

Send it to your favorite Smith once, after that perfect pre fits.
Not a big deal.

While I agree with your statement, I think many are eluding to the fact that their favorite smith may not carry barrels or have the barrel diameter at the breach needed for the AX. Having to order a barrel with a 1.350 breach can take time whereas buying off-the-shelf barrels made specifically for the AX are available from many vendors. Don't get me wrong, if one can buy/order barrels well in advance of their needs, then having your smith measure and spin them up would be optimum.

Lets summarize all of this up...

If you have an AI rifle of any flavor and get asked to send the rifle in order to have a barrel chambered - find a new smith. It’s that simple. There is no reason to ever send the rifle in to have a barrel chambered - end of story. The entire platform functions around this universal quick-change barrel system which holds exceptionally high tolerances.

If you have issues with a correctly chambered "prefit" (they are all truly "prefits") then you do not have an issue with the barrel, you have an issue with the lock ring. You are only masking it by having a smith tune it to your action.

For God‘s sake don’t test it with PTG gauges either.