• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI barrel swap POI repeatability.

kingzero

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2014
Crack Town, AZ
Pretty sure im set on selling my custom and picking up an AI, but have a question about the repeatability and consistency of barrel swaps. Are you able to note the individual zeros on barrels and switch between them without shooting and confirming? Or is there enough variance in POI that you would always shoot and confirm zero?

Say im shooting prairie dogs around 400 yards with a 243 and then swap in a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for shooting steel. Are they consistent enough to spin the 243 back on, reset my scope to the noted zero for that barrel and hit prairie dog sized targets at 400 yards without shooting and confirming?

Reactions: deersniper
I have an AT and PSR. On the PSR when going between the .338lm and .300wm the elevation difference .3 mils and the windage is the same 100 yard zero. Both are Dave Tooley barrels. The PSR will hold the zero for the 300 every time after swapping. On the AT when going between the 6.5cm and .308 their is a little more difference . The elevation is also .3 mils but the windage is .8 mil right. This is most likely due to 1 being a Dave Tooley (6.5) and the other is and in house Accuracy international barrel. I have a little more change on the AT for holding a zero after swapping. The one thing you will need to do is reset the barrel screw to the same torque every time. I use a pre-set 6nm T handle wrench. This is just my opinion so here goes. The PSR is rock solid. You will get the same result with either the long or short action AXMC. The AT seems to be not quite as repeatable. One reason could be the way the barrel are made the PSR and AXMC have a larger shoulder at the shank the AT doesn't have that bigger lip that fit up against the receiver. Hope this helps.

I have owned 2 AW's and now have an AT and have shot at least 7 or 8 barrels, maybe more between the 3 rifles and all have shown les than 0.5 MOA POI shift with any barrel swap (which I do very often). You just need to be consistent with how you do it. I also have a friend with an AX that has shot 5 or 6 barrels and he has the same experience with POI shift as I do. They are pretty repeatable...

I have an AI AT with four barrels. As long as you record your settings on your scope there is no problem..I was a little apprehensive at first but have come to realize how great these switch barrel systems work..Ray

I've seen a .1-.2 mil difference in switching on my AXMC. I think confirming your zero is a good idea, especially if shooting those little bastards at range.

All my POI shifts have been vertical, no horizontal movement.

been runnin an AT for a while (few years now)...think ive had 2-3 6mm barrels, couple 308 barrels, and a few 6.5 barrels...the RTZ for all of mine has been spot on (basically within 0.1 mil which is as good as i can shoot day in day out) ...just about all of my barrels have a 0.2-0.3 low POI on the very first shot after install and then they stack them right where the zero was left the previous time (have seen this on more than 1 AT)...its consistent enough that if i have a fresh barrel install and need to take a cold bore shot without confirming, i just add 0.2 to my dope, and have no issues with 1/2" dots at 100 yds or steel at distance...after the first shot i go back to regular dope...ive switched barrels on the firing line of matches, in the middle of matches, etc with no issues of them being repeatable...the weekend before the PRS finale in Jan i was out shooting my high round count 6mm barrel (wasnt shooting it in the match)...when i got done i put my 6.5 back on, adjusted my turrets back, dialed my 1k dope and hit a 10" diamonds 2/3 times (miss was wind)...called it good, and i didnt verify zero when i got to the finale...i trust it

My AT is also very repeatable between all 4 barrels I have. Currently I am running my Gen 2 Razor on my AT, and I just have noted the correct data on the internal turret for each barrel. POIs/zeros are repeatable with all my barrels with the referenced scope settings. I do make sure that I torque the quick change screw the same every time

Thanks for the replies. My mind is made up and the Creedmoor is now for sale. I've wanted one for a while and now it's time to pull the trigger.

My AT has returned to zero after removing the barrel and reinstalling it. My AXMC has also returned to zero after changing barrels. When changing from the 300WM barrel to the 338LM barrel the zero shift is .7 mil to the right. It is repeatable every time.

My ax308 is spot on with the barrel changes. have three 243 barrels all chambered at the same time by the same guy and no change when switching between them.

This is encouraging. I recently picked up an AT from a friend with a 308 barrel. I bought a 260 barrel but hope to use the 308 barrel for fun shoots. Good to hear I shouldn't have different changes when I change barrels.

Over the last few weeks I've tried removing the barrel from my AI - AT to see where the next few rounds would impact after re-installing. In the attached picture, the group on the left was before removing the barrel, and the bullet holes on the right are where the first few shots impacted. This matches closely what Roddd describes. Very little horizontal but tenths of a mil vertical.
AI_AT_Barrel_POI.jpeg