• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI Itch

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I’ve got an itch/lust for an AI. I’ve been eying the AT for a long time. This site doesn’t help any.

I currently have a build an on Origin. It’s a nice rifle, but I still keep eyeing the AT.

I keep going back and forth between selling a few rifles to finally get the AT. I’ve never physically put hands on one/shot one, so it’s a very big risk for that kind of money.

Any thoughts?

Buy a used one here, they can often be had without a barrel which gives you freedom to choose your cartridge. If you dont like it, sell for what you paid for it.

There’s a massive thread with a title of “is an AT worth it?” (Or something similar to that). I think it has a few hundred responses and is fairly recent. You’ll find all you could want in it.

Its an AI, its totally worth it. And you shouldnt have a hard time reselling if you dont like it. If you can swing it, buy it.

Used AT rifles are a great value.....
    You won't regret it
    chris-farley-running.gif

Reactions: Adam B
    Find someone near you and shoot it to get a feel for them... I'm still itching, well at least for a blue AT-X

AT and AT-X use the same actions, one bonded to it's chassi and the X in a redesigned chassi without. They will essentially have the same accuracy and you'd likely be happy with either.

I was all set on getting an AT after somebody at my local range was generous enough to let me shoot his; ended up pre-ordering an AT-X instead.

The AT is friggin nice. But I'd check one out in person first (and bribe the owner with dinner/beer/whatever to make it worth his while to send a couple rounds down range) if that's at all possible so you know what you're paying for.

The only cure for the AI itch… is to scratch it!

I had one and sold it a few years back when I was in a pinch. I greatly regret doing so, and am contemplating doing what I must to acquire another. For me, a thumbhole folder AT in FDE/Tan/PeanutButter/Whateverthehellitis is where it’s at. I’m sure the AXMC, AT-X, and whatever else are amazeballs, but there’s just something about the thumbholes that works for me. It’s peak AI. I loved the action and loved the trigger.

Try one. You’ll like it. And if you don’t, you won’t have a hard time selling it.

I’ve definitely got to try to track one down locally, and possibly get behind the trigger on one. I’d hate to sell a few of my rifles to fund the AT, buy it, and realize I don’t like the ergos of the stock or worse.

Reactions: Basher
    I’ve definitely got to try to track one down locally, and possibly get behind the trigger on one. I’d hate to sell a few of my rifles to fund the AT, buy it, and realize I don’t like the ergos of the stock or worse.
    The only thing people sometimes bitch about is the hand grip but there are some kits out there, albeit pricey at about $450, that would let you replace the grip with your favorite AR style grip

I had the same lust many years ago. So a few years ago I bought an AT and I'm glad I did. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't replace the trigger with a lighter pull for a reasonable amount of money. I'm getting use to the stock trigger.

What part of the country are you located? Maybe someone on here would be willing to meet up and let you try one.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    I had the same lust many years ago. So a few years ago I bought an AT and I'm glad I did. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't replace the trigger with a lighter pull for a reasonable amount of money. I'm getting use to the stock trigger.

What part of the country are you located? Maybe someone on here would be willing to meet up and let you try one.
    I’m in N FL; if time allows I definitely want to try to get behind one. It’s one of my biggest holdbacks (ergos) besides selling a few things to fund it (regretting selling said things).

Reactions: ShtrRdy
    I scratched the itch with the AE MKiii folder when everyone was drooling over the AX. Couldn’t beat the deal I got. New price better than used. They’re great and totally worth the money. As others have said, resale is easy if your price is reasonable.

Reactions: deersniper
    If you buy one used you will loose bugger all money if you decide to sell it later on.
    Even if you only keep it for a year a loose a few hundred $$, just think of it like you hired it for a year.

The used market on Snipershide is so dang good you can basically try anything you like 95% risk free

Reactions: Adam B