• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk AI Rifle Cant On Barricades.

The Durk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Hello all,

On my last local match, we shot a barricade, but 2 of the slots had a 45° angle cut, where you HAD to throw the rifle into the barricade at that angle. Some of the shooters were using a ballistics software to figure out the cant, adjust their scopes, and were able to make hits on target. I'm trying to figure out either what software they were using, or how to exactly do this calculation? Is applied ballistics able to do this? All I have at the moment is a kestrel elite with AB.

For an imprecise on the fly solution, hold high and to the mag side.

I've done this with my AR15 in 3 gun competitions for a long time. With my rifle 90* at 100 yards on a 1/4 ipsc target, I will miss it completely by holding center mass. However if I am just over the shoulder of which ever side my mag is on, it will be a hit, more or less in the middle.
At extended distances the correction will be greater however with only a 45* cant the correction will be less. I've never had to shoot at a 45* angle with my precision rifle but I think I'm going to try it now, you have me thinking. lol.

Reactions: kingston
Were you not allowed to throw the bag on the angle and then the rifle onto the bag/angle? Basically you’d have to hold the bag with support hand (unless one of those sticky bags), but you’d be able to keep the rifle level.

If not, what distance and target size were you shooting with the rifle at at 45deg?

The barricade cut out is so narrow, the chassis can barely fit in it. So, there was no way to use a bag to keep the rifle straight. Target was at 500 yards.

depends on the size and distance of target, but with that being said with a cant of that degree aiming high to the magazine side works wonders

I've shot with my rifle canted a fair bit, but most of it has been within 100-250 yards @ 20 - 30 degrees cant, where the adjustments aren't so severe, and the targets are often fairly generous - so I haven't really needed to run actual numbers. If my scope leans to the right, I generally just hold the upper left corner of a target and find success.

But this thread made me wonder how it could be calculated, and what the numbers would look like at longer range. I spent a few minutes marking up the attached drawing with some numbers I calculated using trig. Of course, I'm using (roughly) my dope on my 6.5, as well I'm a dirty, MOA-using left handed schmuck, so I try to cant to the right if I have a choice and my adjustments are in caveman MOA, HA, but the data in the markup more or less represents what I see when I shoot canted at 200yds, and should be fairly close using the same calcs at longer ranges.

I used the trig calculator at http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp

I input data for:
-Angle A (the degree of cant you are shooting)
-Side b (the known adjustment in inches, MOA, or MIL if you were to shoot with your rifle plumb at the known range)

Once you put those two numbers in and calculate, it will provide you with:
-Side a (your windage correction in whatever type of measurement you entered in for Side b)
-Side c (your corrected elevation in whatever type of measurement you entered in for Side b)

Actual wind corrections and corrections for aiming higher or lower would need to accounted for as well.

I'm a few weeks away from the next time I shoot so I can't actually test any of this, but if any of you guys get a chance to confirm how accurate this is at longer ranges I'd be interested in hearing if it worked.

Attachments

• Canted Calcs.jpg
    Canted Calcs.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Love
Reactions: The Durk
Can you back up and square the rifle? Just poke the barrel through?

I have shot various competition for years. When they start pushing the bullshit, left hand, upside down etc stuff I pack up and leave.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Can you back up and square the rifle? Just poke the barrel through?

I have shot various competition for years. When they start pushing the bullshit, left hand, upside down etc stuff I pack up and leave.

You pack up when you have to shoot left hand or a 45?

We have had angled loophole stages for years at our Championship match. Anywhere from 45 to 60 degrees. In order to see the targets you must cant your rifle........and these are 3 second exposure targets.
Myself and my shooting partner will practice canted shots at various angles and dial our scopes so we can aim dead on. Works like a charm.