• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI stock or McMillan A4 stock

supermoto917

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2011
SF Bay Area CA
Okay so got the bug to build a bolt gun picking up a Remington SS mil spec 24 inch in a 308 but tossing the stock and replacing it with one of the 2 listed up top. But wanted to find out if the McMillan needs more bed work vs the AI. From what I understand the AI aluminum bedding is a bolt on done deal kinda upgrade and haven,t found anything about the A4 McMillan. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: AI stock or McMillan A4 stock

For the AI Chassis, it's a bolt on and go system. No bedding is advised, and it comes ready to rock for AICS magazines.

You can drop the rifle straight into the McMillan, but you'll most likely get better results with a bed job. Also, if you want detachable mags you'll have to get any of the bottom metal available and have it installed.

We do offer 5Rs that we can drop in chassis before shipping for you if interested.

I would suggest to go with Mcmillan A4 stock.

both are excellent products. As with much in life, put your hands on both of them and you will be able to make your decision. I wouldn't let bedding or not over-ride what feels right.
Mike

AICS 2.0 would be my pick after owning both..If you are not a fan of the thumb hole variety they now offer that stock with pistol grip skins... The Manners Mini-Chassis is also a solid piece...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sales@MileHigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the AI Chassis, it's a bolt on and go system. No bedding is advised, and it comes ready to rock for AICS magazines...We do offer 5Rs that we can drop in chassis before shipping for you if interested.</div></div>

I wish I had done this from the get go. Do it do it.

Ill throw another into the Mix you might want to look into and that is the Manners T5A with Mini Chassis. I think it is the best of both worlds!

It would be ideal for you to try both out before buying, otherwise, just buy the one you like the looks of better.

Ultimately, YOU will be the limiting factor on how well the rifle shoots, not the stock/chassis.

Not that it matters a hill of beans to you, but I think the A4 is the most comfortable stock out there. It has a really fat, and really vertical pistol grip that feels just right to me. I like it so well the looks of the A4 have grown on me, and now I even like how it looks!

If your gonna spend that kind of coin, I'd get behind each one to see what you like. Many people I know have fitting issue with AICS and often use Tall rings so line of sight is correct. I haven't heard anything bad about the A4. I chose it over the AICS.

Ooooo, hard choice to make, me personally I would get the A4, but the mcmillan A4 is my favorite rifle stock so I am a little bias. But I suggest going with what everyone else is saying and try them both out first before you buy. If you cant though, get the one that you can get cheaper or quickest. Both are some of the best stocks you can put on your gun, granted they both have their pros and cons, but I really dont think you could go wrong with ether one. But if I may make a suggestion, before you make a final choice have a look at the Whiskey 3 chassis made by kinetic Research Group. One of their workers is a member here, goes by the username Massoud, so if you have any questions about it ask him.

For me (my likes and opinion) if going McM I like the ergos of the A5 over the A4. Think when looking at McM or any other tradtional stock maker, like has been pointed out already the extra cost over an above the base $$ amount, bedding (pillars are recommended) and the addition of an DM set up to keep things "equal" when comparing it to the AICS or even the AX chassis or any chassis system for that matter.

If weight isn't an issue and you like the feel/ergos I'd lean towards the AICS 2.0 or an AX if you're stuck on an AI produce.

I just went through this decision process of tradtional stock verses chassis and bought an AI AX for my next project. I've had an AICS and would have another one without much thought put into it.

I really like the feel of the AI stock. However the rifle will typically end up being 17-18 pounds. That is a disadvantage for some positional shooting, and limits rapid movements as well.

The McM will save you about 3 lbs., but will take more time to order, set up, etc. You might consider buying an AIAE MkIII. Ready to go, available in various calibers, and a great action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curnow26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan A4 </div></div>

+1 A4 by far, USMC uses this stock for a reason

These are two completely different type stocks.

As others have said, it's best to try both out before getting either one. The thumbhole style and triangular pistol grip on the AICS is not for everyone...it wasn't for me. The more traditional style of the McMillans just feels right for me.

Also, any specific reason you chose the A4? The A5 really is a better all-around fiberglass stock than the A4. Just because the USMC uses it doesn't mean it's the best.

And as someone else mentioned, if you prefer a more traditional type stock, but would like the "drop-in" option of the AICS, check out Manners stocks with a Badger mini-chassis. It really is the best of both worlds.

As others have mentioned, it comes down to weight and grip angle and availability. I've had both over the years and the AICS was very nice but overly heavy for for a .308. For a 300WM, it's great. I prefer a lighter rifle and do like a traditional grip better than the factory AICS. With the Viper Skins, you can get a more traditional grip but you still have the weight. Being a drop-in you can order from just about anywhere does also make the AICS nice. Again.. really comes down to needs and priorities.

If you can try them both, you should. Problem is you may not have that luxury, and they are very different in weight, and feel. I like, and own both. However, if I had to chose, then the A4 is my favorite, because I have big hands that fit the bold grip of the A4 best. If I needed it to be compact because I travel with it a lot, then the 2.0 AI chasis with a short barreled action is what I would chose. Also, the recoil I get from the AI feels harder than the one from my A4 in the same caliber rifle. Even though the one in the A4 is lighter. Depending on the intent for the day is what determines which I pull out of the safe to shoot. I hope this is useful to you. Best of luck.

If you want an easy drop-in system, go with AI. Be warned, it is a bit on the heavy side.