• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AI v. DT v. MPA v. MDT v. Cadex

I mean, you're probably not wrong about the fitness of most people preparing for a SHTF situation, but damn dude, why do you have to call us out like that?! :ROFLMAO:

To answer the original post though:
- Impact 737R (or similar)
- 6.5CM in a 22" Barrel
- MDT XRS with enclosed forend or ACC with a folder and maybe a forend trim?
- Some optic in the 3-25x range would be ideal (and the lighter the better)
- Overbuild everything else that you can (scope rings, muzzle devices, etc.)

- Josh
FYI he is biased on that. Not saying he's wrong or right....just biased 🤣🤣

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Everybody should have a 22 with couple thousand rounds of ammo cuz ur kid can carry it. Also I think the premise of a do it all zombie gun/ PRS rig isn't going to work. It's gonna suck for a end times rifle and suck as a PRS rig. Jack of all trades, master of none. Build 2 different guns
...But still better than a master of one.

My reasoning, as long as the rifle is lighter than an M40A5 or Mk13, even if it's 1-2 oz, it's worth the weight. It's all about perspective.

Wow this thread is still going. I'll reiterate, AI hands down.

Yea AI.....

20220107_150053.jpg

But @MDT_Josh that reply was epic well played my man 😅😅😅

• Haha
Why a fusion over say an impact etc?
Because they are every bit as reliable, have 100/0 cocking, and don't have a hitch like the Impacts.

I also love my Mausingfield, and happen to find that action to be extremely underrated. Never played with an M7, but my M5 is amazing.

Reactions: Huskydriver
At the end of the day its all pretty subjective.

Many of the options available these days are top tier, with their own nuances. I have my own preferences, other people have different preferences.

There's not many "wrong" answers these days.

How about an AIAT on a diet? Carbon barrel, titanium something blah blah? I mean, things don’t have to be heavy to be durable…I wonder why AI doesn’t make lighter rifles but I’m no engineer. (Not sure how durable carbon barrels are)

I’d bet the military dudes humping AI’s would approve.

End times for me = doesn’t suck the life out of you when handled in subzero temps. AIAT has polymer panels.

Speaking of cold weather handling, how about a TRG-22? I’m seeing 10.75 lbs without scope and 26” barrel here: https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-22-308-green-fixed-stock-phosphate-metal-finish-jrsw716.aspx

Cut some barrel off for more weight savings.

Get two barrels, machine wrench flats on them, away you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
How about an AIAT on a diet? Carbon barrel, titanium something blah blah? I mean, things don’t have to be heavy to be durable. (Not sure how durable carbon barrels are)

End times for me = doesn’t suck the life out of you when handled in subzero temps. AIAT has polymer panels.

Speaking of cold weather handling, how about a TRG-22? I’m seeing 10.75 lbs without scope here: https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-22-308-green-fixed-stock-phosphate-metal-finish-jrsw716.aspx

Maybe @MDT_Josh needs to design a lighter weight AI chassis...........

I think most any properly assembled rifle using quality parts is more than reliable enough.

We've come a long ways since the days of Rem700's dressed up for field work with jewel triggers.

How about an AIAT on a diet? Carbon barrel, titanium something blah blah? I mean, things don’t have to be heavy to be durable…I wonder why AI doesn’t make lighter rifles but I’m no engineer. (Not sure how durable carbon barrels are)

I’d bet the military dudes humping AI’s would approve.

Speaking of cold weather handling, how about a TRG-22? I’m seeing 10.75 lbs without scope and 26” barrel here: https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-22-308-green-fixed-stock-phosphate-metal-finish-jrsw716.aspx

Cut some barrel off for more weight savings.

I’d be down for a Ti action AT-X with magnesium Chassis

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yeah! I mean, they're not bonded anymore and we could accommodate their action screws pretty easily. Can you buy just the action? I'm not even sure.

Just throwing it out there and I am sorry if I am sidetracking the thread!

- Josh
Meh I like the foreend

How about a affordable quality hinge and buttstock ?

Oh and side tracking = good discussion is happening

Yeah! I mean, they're not bonded anymore and we could accommodate their action screws pretty easily. Can you buy just the action? I'm not even sure.

- Josh
Axsa at are bonded atx isn't bonded but all the same....make it Josh. We need something out there. Can someone tag krg in this as well? I'll suck someone off for a krg AI

Axsa at are bonded atx isn't bonded but all the same....make it Josh. We need something out there. Can someone tag krg in this as well? I'll suck someone off for a krg AI
What do you find so lacking in the AT-X (besides the lack of hinge and butt adjustments ) that ya would do gay stuff to get it into other chassis?

Just get a terminus at that point

What do you find so lacking in the AT-X (besides the lack of hinge and butt adjustments ) that ya would do gay stuff to get it into other chassis?

Just get a terminus at that point
I find nothing wrong with the atx besides delivery of it.

Reactions: deersniper
They are finicky that's all I am saying

Each to their own. I have a competition trigger in my AI AT and in my opinion the competition trigger is far better than the standard trigger. 'Out of the box' with the standard spring the trigger pull was 1.75lb. Also, isn't the competition trigger standard in the AI AT-X?

Because they are every bit as reliable, have 100/0 cocking, and don't have a hitch like the Impacts.

I also love my Mausingfield, and happen to find that action to be extremely underrated. Never played with an M7, but my M5 is amazing.
Unless you have to take a dremel to open them up so fired cases will clear the chamber. There are a number of people on this site that had to send their actions back to LP so they would run. This involved removing material from the port. Also called, a design flaw.

LP are not as reliable as Impacts, and that is just a fact.

Unless you have to take a dremel to open them up so fired cases will clear the chamber. There are a number of people on this site that had to send their actions back to LP so they would run. This involved removing material from the port. Also called, a design flaw.

LP are not as reliable as Impacts, and that is just a fact.

Interesting, I've never been aware of those issues, nor have I seen those posts on here in regards to people having these issues with their LP's.

I would imagine those issues were encountered in the early model LP's and have since been rectified in an updated design? I do believe there was some modest design updates to the LP Fuzion after some of the initial batches.

Interesting, I've never been aware of those issues, nor have I seen those posts on here in regards to people having these issues with their LP's.

I would imagine those issues were encountered in the early model LP's and have since been rectified in an updated design? I do believe there was some modest design updates to the LP Fuzion after some of the initial batches.
I know atleast 3 people who have had these issues and 2 of them are on here. Maybe they never posted about it and it was handled quietly, but its just something to keep in mind when selecting a new action.

If I remember correctly it had to do with certain sized cases that would not be able to clear the port. This was about a year or so ago, so not sure if they came out with a revision since then.

Impacts are proven beyond reproach. There is a reason over half the actions in PRS are impacts the last few years. They just work. People talking about the hitch and cocking must not shoot under the clock very often, they are non issues.

Reactions: kthomas
I know atleast 3 people who have had these issues and 2 of them are on here. Maybe they never posted about it and it was handled quietly, but its just something to keep in mind when selecting a new action.

If I remember correctly it had to do with certain sized cases that would not be able to clear the port. This was about a year or so ago, so not sure if they came out with a revision since then.

Impacts are proven beyond reproach. There is a reason over half the actions in PRS are impacts the last few years. They just work. People talking about the hitch and cocking must not shoot under the clock very often, they are non issues.

To each their own.

Everyone has their own preferences in what they want in an action, and there's lots of great options out there these days. Unlike 10 years ago, I don't think there's any single action manufacturer that's head and shoulders above the rest.

There's a great action to suit everyone's preference these days.

In regards to LP, if that is an actual issue, hope they got it rectified. I haven't had those issues, and its a great action (among a sea of many great actions these days).

Reactions: MarinePMI

- Josh

Something magnesium for the hunter match crowd might be interesting.

Or something that has different length forends available.

Something magnesium for the hunter match crowd might be interesting.

Or something that has different length forends available.
I'm just hoping/waiting for MDT to take the cage concept from the JAE, and offer it across their whole line of platforms, and make it user swappable.

One chassis, multiple cages for difference action footprints. It was (yet another) aspect of the JAE design that was waaaayyyy ahead of its time (much like the adjustable mag well). Admittedly, the JAE was a "send it back for installation" of a new footprint cage, but it had been discussed (during the prototype phase) about a potential in the future for offering cages to end users, so they could swap cages from say a 700 footprint, to a Tikka T-3 footprint.

I'm just hoping/waiting for MDT to take the cage concept from the JAE, and offer it across their whole line of platforms, and make it user swappable.

One chassis, multiple cages for difference action footprints. It was (yet another) aspect of the JAE design that was waaaayyyy ahead of its time (much like the adjustable mag well). Admittedly, the JAE was a "send it back for installation" of a new footprint cage, but it had been discussed (during the prototype phase) about a potential in the future for offering cages to end users, so they could swap cages from say a 700 footprint, to a Tikka T-3 footprint.

The JAE magwell is probably still the best designed on market. Actually had a conversation about that this morning.

- Josh

Also how bout key slot baker wings?

The JAE magwell is probably still the best designed on market. Actually had a conversation about that this morning.
It is something that is being adapted all over the place (not just on the JAE-700 G4). If you look at pretty much all of the newly announced chassis: ACC Elite, MPA Matrix Pro, KRG C4, they all incorporate something similar which is kinda cool to see now!
Also how bout key slot baker wings?
We have no plans of supporting anything other than M-Lok right now as we have had very little demand for Key Slot, Key mod, Square Mod, etc.
and steel mlok baker wings
This would be an interesting idea, but they'd be pretty expensive for sure!

As for the JAE cage idea, that was one of the features that very much caused the OG JAE to be so expensive, and is something we have not brought forward into the new generation. If there is a huge outcry for support on that feature, it's something we can explore, but there are quite a few downsides in incorporating a "cage" into our chassis systems, which is why we've never done it.

- Josh

Reactions: MarinePMI
It is something that is being adapted all over the place (not just on the JAE-700 G4). If you look at pretty much all of the newly announced chassis: ACC Elite, MPA Matrix Pro, KRG C4, they all incorporate something similar which is kinda cool to see now!

We have no plans of supporting anything other than M-Lok right now as we have had very little demand for Key Slot, Key mod, Square Mod, etc.

This would be an interesting idea, but they'd be pretty expensive for sure!

As for the JAE cage idea, that was one of the features that very much caused the OG JAE to be so expensive, and is something we have not brought forward into the new generation. If there is a huge outcry for support on that feature, it's something we can explore, but there are quite a few downsides in incorporating a "cage" into our chassis systems, which is why we've never done it.

- Josh
WRT the cage concept; I for one, would be interested in it. IDK about "huge cry", but I think a good many in this sport go through actions like underwear. It would be nice to have at least one option on the market that had the cage concept.

All that being said, I think I'd have to sit down and look at a business model of some sort on how that would be profitable for a company, and still appealing (cost point wise) to enough of the market to cover NRE and still make a decent profit margin. I have a few ideas, but I haven't really sat down and crunched the numbers TBH. In my mind, it would have to be a entirely modular chassis as well (fore end, stock, grip, side panels, bridge, etc.) to sell the concept of a cage, so that a user could literally design it to fit their needs, as well as modify it over time. Think the whole Mini Cooper marketing concept ("Over 10,000 combinations, with no Mini the same") of personalizing the item, while having some baseline commonality across the line of products.

At any rate, I'm just rambling now. I do appreciate you chiming into the discussion, it really is one of the great things about this place.

~MPMI

Another vote for AI. I was the stereotype that started with a savage, moved to Tikka's, tried a few remington's, then stepped up to a TRG-22, a couple Desert Tech SRS-A1's.... then a decade later finally decided to drop the coin on an AI. It crushes all of them. Except the TRG trigger- best trigger in exhistence. And the AI trigger is still awesome.

You won't regret an AI.
IMG_9340.jpg

WRT the cage concept; I for one, would be interested in it. IDK about "huge cry", but I think a good many in this sport go through actions like underwear. It would be nice to have at least one option on the market that had the cage concept.

All that being said, I think I'd have to sit down and look at a business model of some sort on how that would be profitable for a company, and still appealing (cost point wise) to enough of the market to cover NRE and still make a decent profit margin. I have a few ideas, but I haven't really sat down and crunched the numbers TBH. In my mind, it would have to be a entirely modular chassis as well (fore end, stock, grip, side panels, bridge, etc.) to sell the concept of a cage, so that a user could literally design it to fit their needs, as well as modify it over time. Think the whole Mini Cooper marketing concept ("Over 10,000 combinations, with no Mini the same") of personalizing the item, while having some baseline commonality across the line of products.

At any rate, I'm just rambling now. I do appreciate you chiming into the discussion, it really is one of the great things about this place.

~MPMI
Hey I really appreciate this reply and it's honestly an interesting concept! The closest thing we have had to date is our ESS chassis where you buy the centre body for your inlet (R700, Tikka, Howa, etc.), then you have 3 different forend lengths, 3 different forend styles (+ a carbon fiber option), and 3 different buttstock options. We realized this gave people WAY to many options and 90% of the customers ordered the same combination at the end of the day, which is now what we sell as standard on the website :)

However, there are some downsides to that chassis and we're constantly updating, so maybe this is something we review in the future! I love the modularity idea and being able to switch out different inlets into the same chassis is super cool.

100% agree with you though that this is an awesome way to directly bounce ideas off of people and interact with brands! I do kinda love what KRG does with their buttstock/forend modularity and the ability to mix and match components based on your needs.

- Josh