• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAE MKIII: possible/advisable to mod for AW mags?

mattj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Seattle, WA
Late night silly pondering here... haven't been able to search up an answer (may be more appropriate in the 'gunsmithing' sections, but seems to be more AI-specific discussion here).

I have much respect and lust for the AI actions/triggers, and especially the AW mags. Not terribly fond of any of their chassis (or assorted skins).

I'm intrigued by the notion of an AIAE MkIII action transplanted into a stock/chassis more to my liking (ie, a 'custom' rifle built on an AIAE MkIII action).

(so that's just to fill you in on the 'why' for the following question... assume for the sake of argument that I have a sane plan for the chassis part of the equation).

My specific question is: what would need to be done to an AIAE MkIII *action* to it make it reliably work with AW mags (continued compatibility with the original mags entirely optional).

Assuming it's possible, and that it can be made to feed reliably... and assuming the required work to do the modification were done 'perfectly'.... what are likely *functional* tradeoffs, if any? (ie, not considering things like cost, warranty, etc).

Thanks for indulging me
smile.gif

Re: AIAE MKIII: possible/advisable to mod for AW mags?

You have to machine the reciever yo accept the mag. Its machied for single stack only. If you want a short 10 get an alpha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to machine the reciever yo accept the mag. Its machied for single stack only. If you want a short 10 get an alpha </div></div>

The AICS is a double stack mag it is however "single feed".
To make a AE take AW mags you would have to machine a double "W" shaped feedramp like on a AR15 so it can feed from both sides of the AW mag.

There is not enough meat left in the AE feedramp since it is "U" shaped to machine a double sided feedramp.

Lost cause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to machine the reciever yo accept the mag. Its machied for single stack only. If you want a short 10 get an alpha</div></div>

Thanks for the reply.

I am (very) familiar with Alpha mags, but prefer being able to use AW.

I realize the AIAE receiver would require machining for it to work (and am aware of what is generally required to mod actions in general to use AW mags, and that some actions are better suited than others due to what material needs to be removed) -- I guess what I'm wondering is if there's any specific 'gotchas' with potentially doing this to the AIAE MkIII action... and I'd of course be especially interested if anybody has had such a mod done to their AIAE MkIII and how it worked out.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sickeness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to machine the reciever yo accept the mag. Its machied for single stack only. If you want a short 10 get an alpha </div></div>

The AICS is a double stack mag it is however "single feed".
To make a AE take AW mags you would have to machine a double "W" shaped feedramp like on a AR15 so it can feed from both sides of the AW mag.

There is not enough meat left in the AE feedramp since it is "U" shaped to machine a double sided feedramp.

Lost cause.</div></div>

Not what I wanted to hear, but the sort of reply I was looking for, thanks.

Any thoughts on whether it would be possible/feasible to handle said feed ramps as part of a custom chassis/bedding block instead of trying to machine it into the action itself?

I considered this conversion when I had an AE MkII. I contacted Stacy Blankenship, who worked for AINA at the time and asked the very same question. Here is a quote from our conversation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. The main reason why would be the AE locking ring has a single feed ramp and the AW has a double feed ramp design so you would have more modification and not recommended. </div></div>

The AW locking ring is not available for purchase separately. If you somehow could get one to use as a guide in modifying the AE locking ring, then you could modify the receiver to match.

While I do believe this conversion could be successfully completed, I did not find it worth the risk of voiding the warranty. I ended up selling the AE and purchasing an AW.

Here's a question...Do you already have the MKIII? If not just buy the AW......used ones aren't that much more than the MKIII.....and lets face if. If you could find someone to do the work, I'm willing to be the cost would bump your MKIII up to pretty close what the AWs used are costing at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a question...Do you already have the MKIII? If not just buy the AW......used ones aren't that much more than the MKIII.....and lets face if. If you could find someone to do the work, I'm willing to be the cost would bump your MKIII up to pretty close what the AWs used are costing at this point. </div></div>

Because of the action being bonded to the chassis -- limits your options if you don't like AI's chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I considered this conversion when I had an AE MkII. I contacted Stacy Blankenship, who worked for AINA at the time and asked the very same question. Here is a quote from our conversation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. The main reason why would be the AE locking ring has a single feed ramp and the AW has a double feed ramp design so you would have more modification and not recommended. </div></div>

The AW locking ring is not available for purchase separately. If you somehow could get one to use as a guide in modifying the AE locking ring, then you could modify the receiver to match.

While I do believe this conversion could be successfully completed, I did not find it worth the risk of voiding the warranty. I ended up selling the AE and purchasing an AW. </div></div>

Many thanks, sir, exactly the kind of info I was hoping for (though I wish the answer was different!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a question...Do you already have the MKIII? If not just buy the AW......used ones aren't that much more than the MKIII.....and lets face if. If you could find someone to do the work, I'm willing to be the cost would bump your MKIII up to pretty close what the AWs used are costing at this point. </div></div>

Because of the action being bonded to the chassis -- limits your options if you don't like AI's chassis. </div></div>

I wasn't aware anyone had managed to transfer the AE's to other stocks...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't aware anyone had managed to transfer the AE's to other stocks...........</div></div>

Nobody has, yet, but certain chassis makers are very accommodating
wink.gif

Wouldn't what you are talking about doing be easier to do on a Badger action? You could get which ever mag you wanted, whichever stock and or chassis and would not be fucking up a perfectly good rifle.

Another reason AI did what they did is because of the round bottom action of the AE as a way to cut cost and maintain interchangeability of components(mags) between the AE and the AICS .

If you want the AW feed system just get an AW. If you don't like the feel of the stock then check out the new AI skins and the Viper-skins. Between four different sets of skins(old thumb-hole, new thumb-hole, AI pistol-grip and Viper-skins) and the other option of the AX, you should be able to get comfortable behind at least one of them. And for the money you would spend just to void your warranty, I'll just let that soak in.