• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAW/AE vs. Custom Builds

GR460

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2010
South Central Louisiana
Does anyone have experience on how a stock AIAW/AE in .308 would stack-up against a custom built .308. (i.e. TacOps, GAP, LA Precision, etc.) Thanks for you input.

Re: AIAW/AE vs. Custom Builds

There's been plenty of discussion on this question previously. At the end of the day, it's going to depend on your budget, what rifle it is exactly that you're looking for, and what you want it to do.

This thread has some interesting information in it that's relevant to your question:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1826042&page=1

If you have any AI questions, just call (727) 526-5451 and ask for Jonathan.

I have both customed GAP build 300 WM and AIAWs. Both guns are more capable than I can shoot. It's what you want to do with it and also personal preference that will decide.

I was in your position and for work and play I chose the AE MkII.

While I don't have anywhere near the time on it that I do on my 700, I am satisfied I made the right choice over the Surgeon build I was looking at.

I looked at the AE and AW and I just couldn't justify the added expense for the AW. The key features the AW offers over the AE are the safety position and the ability to top-load and accept AW magazines. Of course you have the ability to rebarrel without removing the chassis, but realistically ask yourself if it's a needed option. When I looked at the price difference, then the cost of a 6.5CM barrel I realized that I could just buy another AE in the caliber I wanted for not much more.

You may be able to get more WOW factor with a custom, but I don't think you will be able to get a better tactical rifle then the AI.

What WOULD make a difference is if you want a lightweight weapon. That is one place AI does not excel in. Both the AW and AE are heavy rifles.

If you decide to go the AI route, definitely talk to Jonathan. I am very satisfied with my transaction with him.

Well said LonewolfUSMC. I didn't want to push the OP too much toward the AI side. Like you, I am very bias toward AI rifles.

Personally I love the AI rifles, if you have the money, I'd go with an AW model with the folding stock and something like the S&B 5-25 scope to go with it. Depending on your budget the AE MK II would also probably work just as well for you.

The main thing you might notice is that the AI rifles are very heavy guns (close to 15 pounds + depending on scope and accessories) so if you plan to shoot offhand or sitting / kneeling / sling, then you may want to look at some of the custom ones which could come in much lighter depending on the build. However if you are shooting it prone or from a bench, the added weight gives it nice stability.

I was here a few months ago, and I should tell you- you also should consider the Sako TRG-22. I ended up buying an AW, an AE would have been an excellent choice as well, but the TRG is an AWESOME rifle for the money. The thing I like about both the TRG and the AI is that they were both designed from the ground up as sniper rifles, and are much more modern than Remington pattern rifles. I very much prefer the 60 degree bolt throw to a 90 degree throw. Furthermore, I have the utmost confidence in my rifle under any conditions, where I would not say that with a super tight tolerance custom build.

What I say to you is this though- go with what fits you well and what you like, as they are all great options. Try to get some trigger time on all of them, and take it from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was here a few months ago, and I should tell you- you also should consider the Sako TRG-22. I ended up buying an AW, an AE would have been an excellent choice as well, but the TRG is an AWESOME rifle for the money. The thing I like about both the TRG and the AI is that they were both designed from the ground up as sniper rifles, and are much more modern than Remington pattern rifles. I very much prefer the 60 degree bolt throw to a 90 degree throw. Furthermore, I have the utmost confidence in my rifle under any conditions, where I would not say that with a super tight tolerance custom build.

What I say to you is this though- go with what fits you well and what you like, as they are all great options. Try to get some trigger time on all of them, and take it from there. </div></div>

Well stated , I agree 100% and I too have owned or at least shot them all.

For me, the decision depended on how dedicated I am to shooting. If you're only going to have 1 gun (to rule them all!), then I think you can't go wrong with the AE/AW. While custom guns have some advantages, the AE/AW is the Rolex of the precision rifle world.

Now, I decided that at some point, I'm going to have a number of different precision rifles in my gun safe. Instead of going with a AW in 308, I went the custom route because when the day comes that I get a 338, it will be an AI in a 2.0 chassis. So my 308 custom rig is what I use for every week, hitting the range and getting trigger time, the AI will be safe queen that I bring out on special occasion, or if all hell breaks loose. That was my thinking anyway.

I love my Tac Ops, if you have the coin and can wait for one, it would be the route id go, if not, then a AIAW or DTA SRS

Just get one of each in different cals and be done with it...

-pd

For me the AIs are heavier than I prefer and the AI chassis doesn't fit me right. Those issues might not be a problem for you though. I also don't need the absolute bomb proof durability the AI has over a little more conventional rifle. I have been wanting to check out the TRG-22, it might be a good choice too.

I have had both and here is my opinion: They are both going to be able to shoot lights out, it just depends on the person pulling the trigger. Having had both I prefer my AI simply for the reason that it is a factory rifle with custom match grade accuracy. The AI comes with a great trigger, scope base, magazine system, fully adjustable chassis etc. If something goes wrong with a custom it is more difficult to fix due to the smith's workload etc. Pound for pound the AI wins out unless the operator doesn't like thumbhole stocks.