• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX 300wm Build questions.

thumper49802

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2008
Kingsford, MI
I have decided to do a 300wm build on the surgeon 1086R and the AIAX chassis. Now i just need to find out some other info that i hope everyone is willing to share. Optimum barrel length, twist, contour, etc... Also i was informed that surgeon actions are about a 6 month wait right now, and was wondering what other actions you recommend. I would like to use a 190 smk @ 2700fps so I figure 1-10 twist or lower. Any suggestions are welcome as im venturing into deeper water as all ive used so far is 308 win. Thanks a lot fellas, i appreciate any help you throw down range.

I've got an old McMillian M-86.....late 80's mfg, chambered in 300 Win Mag. It's always shot 190gr SMKs at 2850'/s using 74gr IMR7828 and 215 primers. On it's second barrel, both of which have been a 1:12 twist, navy contour I believe. 5 shot groups are inside an inch at 300yds and it's taken more varmints past 1000yds than I can keep track of. Next barrel will be tighter twist, trying to copy the XM2010 loads using 220gr projectiles.

So far so good, anyone else have something to add? Was just looking into the mk284 mod 1, sounds like a pretty good load for this rifle. However getting the correct twist to squeeze out accuracy to the 1500 mark is the key.

Last edited:
I would stick with a 1/10 twist. That will free you up for everything from the 190 SMK to the 225-240s Bergers as well as Sierra. Also, the 208 Amax is giving very impressive results.
Defiance actions are normally not more than an 8 week wait. The BigHorn Tactical is a great action but with the extended length I'm not sure how "drop in" it is to the AX. Stiller is another good, well respected action.
I would order a Defiance as you can have it just about anyway you want it, and their service is great.
Typically 24-26" seems to be the norm for the 300. I had a 24" but replaced it with a 22" to help balance it a bit.

I vote defiance. They are great.
I would look at Lilja barrel, also made in Montana. They are superb quality, reasonably priced, hand lapped and importantly these days, they have inventory in stock or the wait is only a month or so. I recently had a 6.5 creedmoor built with an in-stock, fluted Sendero/varmint contour...... Its a lazer!

I have a pair of .300WinMags.
One (KMW) has a tuned/trued Rem700LA with 25" Oby barrel, AMU contour, deep fluted, 1-10 twist.
The other (Beanland) has a Surgeon 1086 with 26" Oby barrel, AMU contour, deep fluted, 1-10 twist.
With the 1-10 you can stabilize most of the heavier bullets (might need a little faster twist for the 240SMK.......but you can talk with Sierra about that).
The barrel length and contour is really a personal preference thing, IMO.
The Surgeon 1086 action has some good features, really the ONLY downside to it is locating one.