• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Build and Critiques

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
I'm right in the beginning stages of my first competition build. I have been praciting with an off-the-shelf rifle in 6.5CM for the past 3 years. Now wanting to move to a more competative setup and cartridge. I am a reloader BTW. I have a list below of everything I have planned out. But I am open to any critiquing needed to better this build. I already ordered up the barreled action, which is about 5 months out, but it's not too late to make changes as I wait in the lineup. I welcome all suggestions. Thank you all!

Kelbley's Prometheus Action
Chambered in 6XC
Krieger 26" Stainless Heavy Varmint in 1:7.5 Twist
Triggertech Diamond 2 Stage with Flat Trigger Shoe
Manners PRS-TCS Stock with Manners Mini Chassis
Atlas PSR with Area 419 Arca Clamp
Scope: Undecided
Scope Base and Rings: Undecided
Muzzle Brake: Undecided

I originally wanted to go 6GT, but Kelbly's recommneded 6XC for smooth cycling. Reasons to skip this cartridge?

Probably worth a read:

I originally wanted to go 6GT, but Kelbly's recommneded 6XC for smooth cycling. Reasons to skip this cartridge?
The various base sizes mean eventually you’ll have a conflict with brass sizing.

Creed does just the same thing only it’s standardized and you don’t have to try and match your chamber to your sizing die out of fear of it not working someday.

I won’t ever go back to shooting 6xc

Already got the action paid for, so too late there. But the Dasher is the way to go it feels. Seems I see this everywhere. What are the good reasons for this cartridge. Sell me on it. LOL!
You lose 150 fps from the xc but you get half the recoil as a result with a super consistent br case.

Yes, it likely requires a 40 buck mag kit, but once you have that it’s gravy. I got the primal rights kit and I’ve never had a feed issue with it.

Was always interested in that cartridge, but I was being guided to the 6GT, or 6XC. But I never mentioned the Dasher, so maybe that would've been a shoe-in if I had. Also, who makes the best brass for the Dasher?

Last edited:
Was always interested in that cartridge, but I was being guided to the 6GT, or 6XC. But I never mentioned the Dasher, so maybe that would've been a shoe-in if I had. Also, who makes the best brass for the Dasher?
I use lapua but I wouldn’t mind using alpha either. Those two are top of the heap.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
For a competition build I would use an action that you can find shouldered prefit for about anywhere. If you're shooting competitions, you will go through some barrels.

If you decide to stay with the Kelby, I would get multiple barrels fitted at the same time.