• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIAX won't group

BradleyH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Casey, Illinois
First off, I'm not trying to start a pissing match over this but genuinely curious if someone can point me in the right direction.

My AIAX is not grouping on par with my TL3.

I cannot shoot at a distance currently due to where I live as the crops are growing. I was bored and thought Id see how I shot for "groups" since I typically never shoot for groups.

The first rifle was my TL3
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
    • Hornady 140 ELDM Factory
  • Proof 24in
  • area 419 hellfire
  • AI ATX chassis
  • Trigger Tech single stage

And I was thrilled, to say the least. The first shot to the bottom right of the nine was my fowling shot. The group above that is three, and the group to the bottom left is three...

IMG-1959.jpg

Next, Enter the AI

AXSA
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
    • Hornady 140 ELDM Factory (Actually used the rest of the box I started on the TL3)
  • Area 419 Hellfire
  • Factory WinTac Barrel
And this is what I got.
IMG-1980.jpg

I shot more after this and couldn't get it squeezed down. I even swapped barrels to a different caliber with Copper Creek Ammo and couldn't shoot anything too impressive. Certainly not on Par with the TL3.

I have checked the usual culprits, scope rings, base, muzzle brake, and the retention screw for the QC barrel, but I got nothing.

On a side note, when I bought the AI (from one of the very popular AI distributors), I was told it was a brand-new rifle. And it looked new, with no marks from the brass ejecting. But it had a 16 prefix. When I asked about it my salesman said that doesn't matter its a 2023, the prefixes do not mean anything. I don't know if I got a lemon that was brand new technically but held back from 2016 for another reason?

Sounds like you got a new older stock rifle, the first 2 of the serial number are the production year as far as I know. My brand new AXMC was 2 or 3 years old when I bought it, but it was obviously brand new in box.

Something to check: the older ATs and AXs could have a random issue where they applied too much epoxy when they bonded the action to the stock and excess epoxy would get into the quicklock cuts and prevent it from clamping the barrel threads securely even though the quick lock screw is torqued properly.

With the quicklock screw torqued to 50 in-lb, take your hands or a strap wrench and try to loosen the barrel-- it shouldn't budge.

If the barrel isn't being held properly, you can pull the barrel out and carefully remove the quicklock screw and washer (don't drop the washer into the pocket under the action!) and use a bore scope to inspect for any epoxy in the quicklock action "H" cut.

Since you already checked all the usual stuff (scope ring and rail bolts, muzzle brake) not much else it can be unless you got a mediocre barrel, or it just doesn't like 140 ELDs.

Sounds like you got a new older stock rifle, the first 2 of the serial number are the production year as far as I know. My brand new AXMC was 2 or 3 years old when I bought it, but it was obviously brand new in box.

Something to check: the older ATs and AXs could have a random issue where they applied too much epoxy when they bonded the action to the stock and excess epoxy would get into the quicklock cuts and prevent it from clamping the barrel threads securely even though the quick lock screw is torqued properly.

With the quicklock screw torqued to 50 in-lb, take your hands or a strap wrench and try to loosen the barrel-- it shouldn't budge.

If the barrel isn't being held properly, you can pull the barrel out and carefully remove the quicklock screw and washer (don't drop the washer into the pocket under the action!) and use a bore scope to inspect for any epoxy in the quicklock action "H" cut.

Since you already checked all the usual stuff (scope ring and rail bolts, muzzle brake) not much else it can be unless you got a mediocre barrel, or it just doesn't like 140 ELDs.
I will check for the epoxy. I hope that is it

Have you considered the rifle doesn't like the ammo? Doesn't matter what kind of rifle it is, some rifles don't like whatever batch or load of ammo you put through it. There are way too many factors on why this rifle shoots with this ammo and why another rifle doesn't want to shoot with the same ammo.

Reactions: spife7980
Have you considered the rifle doesn't like the ammo? Doesn't matter what kind of rifle it is, some rifles don't like whatever batch or load of ammo you put through it. There are way too many factors on why this rifle shoots with this ammo and why another rifle doesn't want to shoot with the same ammo.
I agree with you, however I also put 143gr precision hunter and federal 130 bergers down the pipe. I even swapped barrels to a prefit from SPR, and they have built some hammers for me in the past. This was a 7-08 but still couldn’t get it to go. I ran copper creeks through it and precision hunters

I’d try another ammo anyway. Factory Hornady 147, Berger 144, Norma 143.

Buy a box of FGMM 130 grain that uses the Berger bullet. Try that. My MC with a Bartlein barrel chambered by Dave Tooley likes that cartridge best

Reactions: Baron23
First off, I'm not trying to start a pissing match over this but genuinely curious if someone can point me in the right direction.

My AIAX is not grouping on par with my TL3.

I cannot shoot at a distance currently due to where I live as the crops are growing. I was bored and thought Id see how I shot for "groups" since I typically never shoot for groups.

The first rifle was my TL3
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
    • Hornady 140 ELDM Factory
  • Proof 24in
  • area 419 hellfire
  • AI ATX chassis
  • Trigger Tech single stage

And I was thrilled, to say the least. The first shot to the bottom right of the nine was my fowling shot. The group above that is three, and the group to the bottom left is three...

View attachment 8197710

Next, Enter the AI

AXSA
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
    • Hornady 140 ELDM Factory (Actually used the rest of the box I started on the TL3)
  • Area 419 Hellfire
  • Factory WinTac Barrel
And this is what I got.
View attachment 8197713

I shot more after this and couldn't get it squeezed down. I even swapped barrels to a different caliber with Copper Creek Ammo and couldn't shoot anything too impressive. Certainly not on Par with the TL3.

I have checked the usual culprits, scope rings, base, muzzle brake, and the retention screw for the QC barrel, but I got nothing.

On a side note, when I bought the AI (from one of the very popular AI distributors), I was told it was a brand-new rifle. And it looked new, with no marks from the brass ejecting. But it had a 16 prefix. When I asked about it my salesman said that doesn't matter its a 2023, the prefixes do not mean anything. I don't know if I got a lemon that was brand new technically but held back from 2016 for another reason?
I see your problem. It’s a 6.5 creedmore and not a .260.

in all seriousness like stated above buy a box of quality match 130 grain and see if it changes. My .260 barrel pretty much likes everything and I’m lucky.

• Love
Reactions: zeroz
Also, take your brake off and shoot it that way. Your zero might change but just look at group size. I have an Origin build that shot like shit with one muzzle device and when I spun a LMT 3 prong on it of all things it shoots like your TL3.

Reactions: diggler1833
My new AT-X shot (4) groups of five shots into a .5, .6, .6, and .7 with factory 140gr ELD-M. It certainly isn't going to win a benchrest match, but it is acceptable. It did do about the same with 147gr ELD-M factory stuff too. There are a lot of guys on here who got far better results with the same ammo, but every rifle will be different. *I also shot mine only with my Area 419 Hellfire on too.

I have tried one handload so far and holy crap were the results horrible. Rest assured that I'll never be trying the 130 SMK or Reloader 16 in that barrel again 😄. This barrel hates one or the other (or both) with a passion. I've never had a "custom" barrel shoot so poorly, but again, I had sub-minute out of two factory loads, so I know the accuracy is there.

Still, if your rifle shoots near what looks like half-minute for three shots, I doubt you'll get a lot of traction on getting it replaced if you eliminate all other factors.

Like many above me have said; try other ammo, try another brake or without the brake at all as you may have a harmonics issue. I know that when you have double the money of a TL3 build invested in an AI, you expect double the results. That probably isn't going to be the case, and I say that as someone who loves everything about my AT-X (except for my copper fouling issue).

Reactions: BradleyH
Axsr here, I know not the same.

308 barrel. Was shooting .6-.7 regularly.
Added an area 419 brake and group went to 3 inches. Brake and adapter off and she's back.

Reactions: diggler1833
I was able to take the AX back out this morning and give it another go. Heeding the advice others have offer above, it was much better. I removed the brake, installer the thread protector and changed the bipod to an Altas Super Cal. The previous bipod was an accutac.

It seems to me at least, that this rifle really wants to be “drove” more so than the TL3. And the PSR allowed me to bear down on the rifle more simply due to the feet vs the Accutac. Has any one else noticed this? In regards to the effort put into the rifle. Maybe it’s just my shooting ability or lack there of with a heavier trigger on the AX vs the light trigger on the TL3?

I shot the same Hornady 140 ELD M factory loads used previously.

While not as tight as the TL3, it’s much better and I’m not going to gripe about it. If I average the three, three shot groups I get an average of 0.362 MOA. I’ll take it.

Thank you for all the suggestions offered above, they made a difference!

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 08:53:39.861628.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 08:47:11.810388.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 08:45:17.578890.jpg

Reactions: DDGKunia
My AI doesn't want to be "drove" hard. Atlas CAL and mine prefers light touch. At this point it's probably your basics and repetition.
Happy to see she's shooting again. Before you try and put a brake back on make sure everything is clean and carbon free and you'll b e fine
On a side note, none of my AI barrels (bartlien or proof) like area 419 muzzle devices. APA stuff seems to be better. It's probably just causation lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BradleyH