• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 1.5 vs 2.0 for ease of cleaning rifle

nmmi9100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
New Mexico
I'm strongly considering buying an AICS in the next few weeks for my Remington 5R. I don't think I need the folding stock version since my 5R has a 24" barrel and I wanna keep it that way.

Is the AICS 1.5 a real bitch to clean from the breech or do you just have to remove the cheek rest for cleaning? If you do have to remove the cheek rest, anyone using thumb screws to remove it? Source/size for thumbscrews?

Thanks,

-David
Edgewood, NM

Re: AICS 1.5 vs 2.0 for ease of cleaning rifle

I have owned both, just get the 2.0 and don't look back....

2.0 cleaning is a breeze.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both, just get the 2.0 and don't look back.... </div></div>

+1

I have both, an AICS, 2.0 stage on a custom Rem and AI AE MK II with a non folding stock. Both have the thumb screws and cleaning is a breeze as the cheekpiece come off faster than you can fold the stock. I have yet to fold the stock on the 2.0 stage just to clean it. If I was going to get a folding stock just for ease of cleaning I wouldn't waste my money. I got the folder for what was designed for. Thats my opinion but obviously based on the comments here, opinions definitely vary.

I'm going to be the devils advocate.

I'm not super duper high speed low drag or anything, but I bought the 2.0 and I'm pretty sure I would be just as happy with the 1.5. Great stock, but as little as I shoot/clean I don't really think it's worth it. (100 rounds/month maybe I clean every 4-6 months) the extra couple hundred bucks could have been spent on an Atlas bipod, or sling/rear bag/shooting mat, eberlestock pack, pelican case, ammo, reloading components whatever...

just my 2 cents. If I shot 200 rounds/week or competed every weekend I would probably have a different story.

Either way I've got a 20" LTR in the 2.0 now, which makes a pretty short folded package (but too wide to fit in my eberlestock gunslinger). I am looking to build a .264 caliber rifle (not sure on caliber yet) with a 26" barrel +brake and will probably put that in a 1.5.

I have a AW 1.5. With the large cheek piece screws, removing the cheek piece is super quick. Cleaning is easy. If you don't want to spend the extra money, get the 1.5. It will NOT be a compromise.

The 2.0 is heavier than the 1.5.
Get the 1.5 and thumb screws.
BTW, I have both. For your R700 the 1.5 is the way to go.
For my Badger M2008 builds the 2.0 is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned both, just get the 2.0 and don't look back.... </div></div>+1</div></div> + another. I sold my 1.5 w/ thumbscrews to fund my 2.0

If not for the ease of cleaning...it is a lot friendlier to tote around.

2.0 makes it easy to clean plus if you shoot any comps you won't want to screw with taking off you cheek piece

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.0 makes it easy to clean plus if you shoot any comps you won't want to screw with taking off you cheek piece </div></div>

I used my rifle to compete and removed the cheekpiece for cleaning. If you mark the cheekpiece for the proper height there should't be an issue.

Get the 2.0 The heck with thte ease of cleaning etc as a reason for getting it... It just looks bad ass when you show your friends
smile.gif

What is this ritual called 'cleaning' that you speak about?
grin.gif

Thumbscrews are available from SRT.

If it's a Rem700 short action you probably won't need to remove the cheek piece to get bolt out. And the 1.5 stock is easier to grab from the top behind the bolt. Save your money. Get the 1.5.

Get the 2.0

I clean every few thousand rounds and I still will not own another 1.5, only folders.

Once someone has 10000 rounds through each, they will agree with me.

Oh, and there is no freakin way it is quicker to pull the cheakpeice than it is to fold it.

And the weight difference is not even worth worriing about.

I will say that my preference is due to running an AI, not a Remmy. You can get the bolt out without pulling the cheek with a Rem, not an AI.

I have a 1.5...didn't see the need for the folding feature. Now that I have a 1.5, I still don't see the need for the folding feature.

Spent the extra 300 bucks on an Atlas. If you are a comp person just mark the height or buy the spacers from Victor Company and you're done.

I debated between them also. Bought my 2.0 from Lin Schriver for a good deal..was only $140 more than a 1.5. That was nothing compared to how nice the folder is. I clean after each range session, but I really like the fact it goes in my 42" 5.11 tactical case w/26" bbl. Doesn't take so much room in the back seat of my pickup.

And then there is the "bling" factor at the local range!