• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS. 223 mags or convert. 308 steel mag?

cal50

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
While waiting / searching for an . 223 AI / AICS mag is my time, money & efforts better served converting Alpha or AI. 308 mags to. 223?
I know there was a thread on it before but damn if I can find it now. Anyone have an idea when. 223 AICS mags will appear? It kind of sucks getting the bottom metal and now no mags available.

(PTG stealth metal, Remmy SA in. 223)

G'Day, cannot help you with your issue but to say I am in the same boat. I am waiting on two AI 223 mags and supplier not returning my emails, national importer let me know there are issues acquiring AI products. I emailed AI in England today about supply of 223 mags and waiting for reply. Yes it sucks as I purchased a AI AX stock as an upgrade for my Remington 700P 223. Will let you know outcome and I may know a supplier in Australia with a few AI 223 mags. Good luck.

Accurate mag makes a nice 223 mag but they aren't worth a damn for 80gr Bergers etc due to the inside OAL allowed.

You need a AICS if running 80's unless you want the bullet crammed half way down in the case.

My 80 gr Bergers are 2.810 OAL and that is about max length in a AICS 223 mag and about as long as you'd want to seat the bullet out anyways.

Accurate mag makes a nice 223 mag but they aren't worth a damn for 80gr Bergers etc due to the inside OAL allowed.

You need a AICS if running 80's unless you want the bullet crammed half way down in the case.

My 80 gr Bergers are 2.810 OAL and that is about max length in a AICS 223 mag and about as long as you'd want to seat the bullet out anyways.

Did you mod the 223 mag, I run 80's in the poly AICS mag and can only go a little over 2.5" OAL

What is the max C.O.A.L. you can use with these PT&G modified .223 mags?

My 80 gr Bergers are 2.810 OAL
That is the longest .223 loaded ammunition that I have ever heard of!

2.810" is so long that I'm throwing the Bullshit challenge flag.

I was NOT able to duplicate that cartridge using 80 grain Berger VLDs or the 82 grain Bergers. I ended up trying to duplicate that C.O.A.L. with 90 grain Berger VLD's and found that to obtain the 2.810" I had to seat the bullet about 0.002" with my fingers and not a press! At 0.002" the bullet is barely making contact with the brass, much less being truly seated in the brass.

So are you using some VERY LONG .223 brass? Or are you really not seating to 2.810"?

I was thinking 2.810 off top of my head last night since I didn't have my load data book near me . My mistake I was thinking of one of my 243 I load for. The 223 is right at a shade over 2 9/16th since all I have with me is a tape measure.

Our .223 magazines will be available during the next 4-6 weeks and supplies are already starting. We have been improving the magazine.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Tom,

Does the new mag involve an anti-tilt leg on the follower? I've been having issues with that in both of my .223 mags...

Here is a pic of a loaded round in a Accurate Mag. This is as long as I could load a 80gr VLD and feel that it would feed reliably everytime without hanging up in the mag. As you can see, the VLD is seated way too deep......atleast for my liking. Your opinions may vary.

328CD905-EEAE-4B83-A1E5-0D5706FDA728-8161-0000012D1A4CFEDF_zpsf989e277.jpg

Now, here is a pic of a 80gr VLD in a AI mag. Although there is not a caliper measurement visible, you can clearly see that you are able to seat out much longer and keep the bullet form being jammed so far down on the powder column.

6E61DCDD-A479-4093-B489-EDB217954958-8161-0000012E06F7845E_zps3f06a18f.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of a loaded round in a Accurate Mag. This is as long as I could load a 80gr VLD and feel that it would feed reliably everytime without hanging up in the mag. As you can see, the VLD is seated way too deep......atleast for my liking. Your opinions may vary.

328CD905-EEAE-4B83-A1E5-0D5706FDA728-8161-0000012D1A4CFEDF_zpsf989e277.jpg

It looks like there is 'lost' room in the mag. A non loaded photo would be nice. Does this look like there is room for modification, like AICS short action remove the front plate type mod?

the "feed reliably every time" clause is a real sticking point. I can seat 90 grain VLD's longer than that but will they actually feed? Sometimes, but not always.

If you cut out the front section of the mag insert near the bullet tip, you will extend the coal to 2.544" ish. The follower will still be captured inside the insert and it will cause no problems.

If you cut out the front section of the mag insert near the bullet tip, you will extend the coal to 2.544" ish. The follower will still be captured inside the insert and it will cause no problems.
Having no visual on the mag insert, it is difficult to picture. Trevor posted some fine photos. These with at least no rounds might show what 'we' are looking for.
2.5" is sounding like a finished product. I wonder what Accurate thinks here. There is a market.

Resurrecting a slightly older thread to add content.

I'm running an XLR chassis, Savage 10 in .20 Tactical, and was having issues with both AICS .223 mags pushing/tipping the last three rounds in the mag. So much so, that they always ended up vertical, in front of the follower with the follower cockeyed about 75* in the mag body.

Hoping to resolve this, I ordered the Accurate mag, since it has a shorter COAL. I was thinking that this the main cause of the issue in the AICS mag (aside from being a staggered design).

First things first (BLUF), it resolved the feeding issue...sort of.

The Accurate mag seemed to work better for the shorter .20 Tactical cartridge than the AICS mags, and feeding was fairly reliable...with a caveat.

It would seem that the Accurate mags are slightly smaller in dimensions than the AICS. This can be witnessed by the way they rattle around the mag well (which the AICS mags do not; they are very snug). Also, the last two rounds in the mag will feed, but the mag must have some pressure on the bottom for it to feed every time. I suppose a longer mag latch would fix the problem; just not sure if I'm ready to tie myself completely to Accurate Mags just yet.

With AICS apparently redesigning their .223 mag, the jury is still out for me and I'll wait to see what AICS does. Until then, I may dork around with the Accurate mag...maybe open the lips a bit to get the rounds to sit up a skosh higher...

Not sure if this answers the OP's question, but figured I'd toss it out there for folks running short, .223-based wildcats in chassis' that use AICS type mags...

BTW, I do like the feel of the Accurate mags over the AICS mags; very solid (FWIW).

I bought a 10 round Accurate mag to play with, and noticed the same thing. It's much looser than an AI mag in the Badger M5 and APA bottom metal.

If you do have a special need for a longer COAL the plastic can be cut on the AM products 223 wall system, if you need the factory to do this for you call customer service for a special order. We would need 10 dummies for function testing and an order for four magazines. We will also have several other calibers coming out with there own wall systems shortly, but we will do specials. Call tech support for any questions.
regards,
Boottrac

Reactions: kingston
Our .223 magazines will be available during the next 4-6 weeks and supplies are already starting. We have been improving the magazine.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Are they shipping yet? I have a gap 223 ackley that needs extra mags.