• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aics savage?

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Is there a aics stock for the savage 10?Or is just a rumor.The reason i ask is because i had a buddy tell me he saw one the other day on the net.I have looked everywhere.
I think the ass is pulling my leg.

Re: aics savage?

To clarify, Accuracy International does not offer the AICS for the Savage at this time. This item has been up for discussion a few occasions and the one comment which has been relied time and time again from the customer base was "why would I buy a $500 gun and then buy a $800- $1000 AICS, it is a beater gun". So there is the issue if you will, would it be a seller or not, that is the question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clarify, Accuracy International does not offer the AICS for the Savage at this time. This item has been up for discussion a few occasions and the one comment which has been relied time and time again from the customer base was "why would I buy a $500 gun and then buy a $800- $1000 AICS, it is a beater gun". So there is the issue if you will, would it be a seller or not, that is the question. </div></div>

Well, to be fair, a Remington isn't all that much more expensive and they sure have and exercise the option. What makes you think that Savage shooters would be any different?

Make it, especially in left-hand, and I'll place my order today, paid in full.

Agree to some extent. But then you see most of the M700 guys dropping in the $750+ and mostly custom builds. Agree with the ideas with the Savage, don't get me wrong, but looking at the Model 10, it now has changed twice so far plus the trigger group. As far as the shooter/owners are concerned, other guys have approached the "bottom metal" ideas for these very same customers, keeping in mind a $350 upgrade and they received very little to no support from them. Finally CDI was convinced by a 10+ order to work it up and he has taken off with that so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Agree with the ideas with the Savage, don't get me wrong, but looking at the Model 10, it now has changed twice so far plus the trigger group. </div></div>

You have a valid arguement there. As to the rest, I think many people are looking for a large, reputable company to take it on. That way they know they'll get something that works and lasts.

Plus with the remmy, remember that many custom actions can go right in with little or no modification, since many have a r700 footprint, or one similar to it.

Remmy, surgeon, nesika, bat, stiller, phoenix/templar, badger, lawton, etc., etc.

the answer of why of course is because many of us would love to drop the most accurate out of the box factory rifle on the market into what is touted to be the most accurate shooter friendly stock on the market. the price point isnt one to most of us. we simply prefer savage. my 500 dollar "beater" as you call it wears a $800 zeiss mildot scope so it aint like savage users are all cheapskates.

Hi, new to the site, and to long guns. I have a homemade AICS-style stock I made just because savage stock is ugly and I wanted something more comfortable to shoot on. But a disclaimer, 1:it's my first large caliber rifle and it's in the poor man's 30.06. 2: I am by no means a a seasoned or expert shooter, have some prior military as 0341 but nothing like what you folks do, and just recently decided to see if I had any interest in the long range shooting, and I found a Savage 110 along with 120 rnds for $330 on gunbroker so I said why not? Cheap starter rifle, basicly free ammunition. 3: I don't have the money, skills, or technical know-how to even compare to you guys, like I said new to it and am just feeling my way around. Besides I want to see if I can shoot the distance, I wanna learn so dropping a couple grand on rifle and pretending I know what I'm doing sounds foolish so starting small.

Anyways I wasn't going to mess with any of the vitals that touch the stock, so I basicly did a little cutting, a little molding with some douglas fir(b/c of it's high durability, high strength, and high fiber stress in bending), some fiberglass (alot of fiberglass), some bondo-glass just to smooth it out, and paint. Ghetto yes, but its solid, has roughly the same design as an AICS, with nothing vital changed just the exterior shape.

Bash away if you want, rip me a new one if you feel like it, but it's my rifle and it might even seem ghetto or redneck-ish, but it works for me, holds up solid with the recoil, I'm not rich or an expert, just doing what I can afford, adapt if you have to right? I am a newbie. besides the stock basicly cost me about $20.
smile.gif

cannot find my camera, but I will toss a picture up tom.

qnnq1d.jpg

14nivbc.jpg

qnnq1d.jpg

You don't see many Savages in Germany, which is one of the reasons we've not got our RCS for the Savage action on the market yet, as Stacy mentioned, you run in to trouble with the compatibility between models of action that have had changes and upgrades.
I can probably get my hands on a couple of savage models so which model do you guys think would be the right one to start on.
Its worth our while to manufacture the RCS for 10 items, 20 is better.
Its not AI and its not AICS, but uses there side pannels and looks near as damn the same.
Whats slowing our developement in this is availability of AI side pannels and lack of funds to divert to this project. (the main core of our business is custom rifles and with a new action about to appear as well as developing the barnard based tactical and match rifles, chassis systems bieng a lesser priority have taken a back seat for a couple of months)
Now I dont like taking money for a product that isn't ready yet, but i see other companies doing it and pre orders of between 10 to 20 stocks would see us producing a new model about every 3 months.
Prototypes exist already for the Tikka T3 as a folder, for the Sako 75 as a fixed, and for the Sauer ssg3000.
Certainly we are open to suggestions and input from you guys. I also had discussions with Scott from AI about thier producing for us, but nothing came of that.
I am sure there is a market for these type of stocks for lesser known / other actions than the Remington.
the question for AI is wether its worth gearing up when sales might be on the low side, its not worth thier while for 10 stocks.

open to comments-input

Pete

For you AI people, it's time to SOGOTP (go or not go). Savage is now selling the "Accustock" and they immediately went on backorder when they offered their LE stock. Both are aluminum block beds. The Accustock is offered in the McMillan/HS style A5 as well as the more standard. I will say one thing, and that is not only are Savages made to shoot and NOT look pretty, their marketing department sure knows what the public shooter wants as well.

marduk185: Allow me to clarify this one more time, "I am not saying any negatives towards Savage, the owners or desires of such". The GENERAL census received was they did not want to invest to much into a beginner, entry level or starter package! Your comments are heard and understood, moving on.

sandwarrior: Disagree, sorry but we can not just jump into the middle of something that is respectively changing every few years and upgrading to meet the current market/customer request. Keep in mind, if we were to offer a Savage chassis, it would be limited to current production and specified as such. Older models would not be offered due to receiver/trigger changes as discussed before. So this would servely limit the end users to such a chassis unless modifications could be made to accomodate the older models. See this is what makes it very difficult to sell on both ends.

I own several Savage rifles and would like nothing more than to have an AICS for at least one of them, however I agree that the platform changes over the years make it a logistical nightmare for aftermarket suppliers. We now have staggerfeed w/ 4.250" spacing, centerfeed w/ 4.400" spacing, a factory DBM version, accutrigger and non-accutrigger, and now the accustock versions of Savage rifles. It's no wonder to me that it's a hard sell to get AI to make a chassis system for the Savage... if you make one for the current version only, you'll leave the majority of Savage owners out in the cold so to speak. As to the comment about us Savage owners not being cheapskates, when I approached Jeff @ CDI Precision about making a DBM system for the Savages I learned that the idea had been brought up before on another Savage forum, but was shot down almost immediately because "nobody was going to spend that kind of money for a DBM system on a Savage rifle" or something to that effect, for a $300 or so accessory!!! So in the grand scheme of things, I believe that guys (like many of us here on the Hide) who choose to spend their money on higher end stuff for their Savage rifles are a definite minority to an aftermarket supplier, and nobody's going to tool up to make a dozen stocks here and a dozen there due to the multitude of possible configurations plus the limited customer base who will ante up for such a product. Just the cold, hard facts guys and looking at it from their point of view I can see why AI has not offered a chassis for us yet....

And believe me, nobody here has bugged Stacey about a Savage chassis as much as I have, I can pretty much guarantee it LOL!

Gregg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

sandwarrior: Disagree, sorry but we can not just jump into the middle of something that is respectively changing every few years and upgrading to meet the current market/customer request. Keep in mind, if we were to offer a Savage chassis, it would be limited to current production and specified as such. Older models would not be offered due to receiver/trigger changes as discussed before. So this would servely limit the end users to such a chassis unless modifications could be made to accomodate the older models. See this is what makes it very difficult to sell on both ends.</div></div>

I don't fault you for making the decision to hold off. I'm just saying that with Savages marketing innovations you wold need to get something out there soon or they will move up to or past you with their similar product.

You may well be making the prudent decision to hold off, as changes in production can be like a whiplash to the secondary vendors such as yourself. In order to not have that happen would require an agreement between yourself and Savage to get you in on pre-production of product. That's a direction that either you and/or Savage may not want to take. That certainly isn't for me, Joe Consumer, to decide.

Along that same line sometimes being backordered too long can have it's negative effects as well. As mentioned, how long is everybody going to wait for Savage's LE rifle? I've seen two. Both went out the door in a hurry. At $1500 each (with all the junk on it too). Someone then says to themselves why don't I get a custom stock with an aluminum bed in it for less.

Anyhow, someone is already doing this as a hunting rifle.
http://www.accurateinnovations.com/
Personally, what I would like, is a pistol grip stock, like an AR for a both a Savage 10 and a Mauser '98. As I mentioned, this guy does hunting stocks but not so much tactical.

"You don't see many Savages in Germany,"

..but you see lots of Blasers....
crazy.gif

With savage changing their rifles so often it makes it very hard for aftermarket stock makers to keep up. I wish they would just pick something that works and stick with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adammn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With savage changing their rifles so often it makes it very hard for aftermarket stock makers to keep up. I wish they would just pick something that works and stick with it.</div></div>

They have... Most everything they've come out with in the last ten years shoots awesome. Who else has factory 'off the shelf' F-class, F/TR, precision varmint, Tactical (I mean the BAS and BAT/S-K) as well as aluminum block bedding (accustock) tacticals, in McMillan and HS style stocks. All these precision rifles shoot, not just look ugly.

Maybe that is there marketing plan. Roll over the standard to the cool stuff faster than secondary vendors can offer same. Who knows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"You don't see many Savages in Germany,"

..but you see lots of Blasers....
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I don't see a lot of Blazers being bought here. That would also mean I don't see them winning ANY competitions here either. They are great rifles. But they come at a cost not many of us in America like to pay. {Edit: Not when you can get great custom work from any number of quality rifle builders for the same or less}

Alberta Tactical Rifles had one left I think.. but AI threatened a lawsuit is my understanding so no more AICS Savage stocks.. Even thought AI has no desire to produce one.. ATRS simply built the aluminum chassis for the stock and bought the rest from AI.. More business for AI in a market they didn't want to go, common sense in my opinion.. but the funny thing about common sense is it isn't that common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI is indeed going to be making a Savage AICS, it's just not shipping yet. It's on the way...we're getting close. </div></div>

Would you happen to have any idea as to how close?

I don't know why they don't make one for every major brand of rifle. After adjusting one to fit it's like hugging your wife. Nothing could feel better. IMHO of course.

<---10FP owner and would love an AICS
Savage is like a Glock: they are accurate, work reliably, and are affordable. The last time I checked you can buy anything under the sun for a Glock!
Savage prides themsleves on innovation and the renound accuracy out of the box. With HS Precision, McMillan, and Choate working with Savage to produce models wearing their name one would think that if AI didn't manufacture an aftermarket stock for the Savage line of rifles they would at least work with Savage to build an AI line of Savage models

Ahhh the AI 10FP package <---- Starting @ $1695.00
That would be ideal in every way
but I still want them to produce one regardless!

It really doesn't matter. I think custom Savage rifle shooters will survive and shoot well without having to plead for years for an AICS stock. Too little too late in my opinion.

Other companies have built fine tactical rifle stocks for all of those Savage "beaters"... you know like the custom one I have have that I have $1,800.00 into and have a $2,200.00 scope, base rings on.

Carry on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really doesn't matter. I think custom Savage rifle shooters will survive and shoot well without having to plead for years for an AICS stock. Too little too late in my opinion.

Other companies have built fine tactical rifle stocks for all of those Savage "beaters"... you know like the custom one I have have that I have $1,800.00 into and have a $2,200.00 scope, base rings on.

Carry on. </div></div>

I'm kinda with you on this, but at the same time, I think Savage is really beginning to show signs of being know for how damn accurate they really are and at the end of the day that is what everybody is after. I LOVE my Savage and also have a shit load into it and will most likely buy an AICS for it at one point if they do end up making one for it. I think the guys that already shoot Savage will stick with what they've got but if more companies like AI come out with products for Savage it will do nothing but make the Savage line more attractive to a whole different realm of people who may not have been interested before. Kinda like the AR 15, look how much stuff you can hang off the fore end of one those, who wouldn't wanna buy that gun just so they can buy all the cool shit that goes on it. If AI does this then I will be very happy and if they don't then I won't sweat it.

To the other argument that it won't appeal to a large enough crowd: Who buys AICS products most? People who are serious about their shooting and strive to shoot the best equipment available. That isn't the average guy. This will target the same type of crowd that it targets for the Remington 700 and will give a guy the option to have an AICS stock on an action with switch barrel capabilities. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

But I do understand why it's taken so long to do this. Look how long the Remington 700 action has been around without any major changes. I would think that Savage has finally found what works for them and since they don't show signs of making any significant changes then we'll probably start seeing more aftermarket products available that were only previously available for the 700 such as the AICS for example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you AI people, it's time to SOGOTP (go or not go). Savage is now selling the "Accustock" and they immediately went on backorder when they offered their LE stock. Both are aluminum block beds. The Accustock is offered in the McMillan/HS style A5 as well as the more standard. I will say one thing, and that is not only are Savages made to shoot and NOT look pretty, their marketing department sure knows what the public shooter wants as well. </div></div>

not to doubt anyone, but do they actually have the accustock in the HS, McMillan and Choate stocks? i have not heard that except for this post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you AI people, it's time to SOGOTP (go or not go). Savage is now selling the "Accustock" and they immediately went on backorder when they offered their LE stock. Both are aluminum block beds. The Accustock is offered in the McMillan/HS style A5 as well as the more standard. I will say one thing, and that is not only are Savages made to shoot and NOT look pretty, their marketing department sure knows what the public shooter wants as well. </div></div>

not to doubt anyone, but do they actually have the accustock in the HS, McMillan and Choate stocks? i have not heard that except for this post. </div></div>

This guy has his info wrong. The only HS available is the one you have AXE and the Mcmillan is just a standard A5 with no bedding. The accu stock is the best stock for a Savage except for the HS. The Mcmillan is obviously better as well but only once you bed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quickdraw,who makes that stock your savage is wearing?What are the specs on it? </div></div>

I believe it is a Stockade gun stock with options. I have looked at them and I like them. The wait was more than I was willing to wait for though. You can get it faster with a "rush fee".

Here is the link
http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

dinosdeuce is correct. Stockade P. Dog Special with adj. LOP and adj cheek (money saver - unfinished), SSS fluted bolt, SSS bolt handle (Stockade makes the bolt and handle also, but I didn't know that at the time), SO Tech ammo holder (it's a single shot/not shown), EGW 20 min base, burris tactical rings, NF 5.5x22x50. 16 week wait for the stock, but it was worth it, and Kevin is great to work with.

there is always one huh? remember that savage users buy stuff too. you sell stuff dont you? do you really want to alienate customers by talking smack on their equipment?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that like putting an Escort motor in a Ferrari?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I don't think so. It is a nice set up and he runs it quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is always one huh? remember that savage users buy stuff too. you sell stuff dont you? do you really want to alienate customers by talking smack on their equipment?
wink.gif
</div></div>

"
wink.gif
"

grin.gif

you know those savages are quite sensitive at times, lol. myself, id love to have an A4 first. its the initial sticker shock that makes me want to pick up a 700 so i can grab an A4 at a bargain

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that like putting an Escort motor in a Ferrari?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I sure hope you are kidding.All firearms have a how shall i say it?A inherit flaw,yeah that sounds good.Just because everyone dont drink the remy koolaid doesnt mean a savage cant peform.....
Anyway when was the last time you had too weld the bolt handle back on a savage???LOL.

Well AI is a fine company and not taking anything away from them, I've worked off of two AI's and owned one (among may other brands and setups during my career) and my newish Savage 10- FLCP-K (in AccuStock) really out shoots them so I have no desire to put this Savage into anything different.

it would be nice to see the Savage (switch barrel rifle)

and the FN spr actions for the AICS

with many LE depts using savage's (great trigger, barrel easily replaced, etc., ) seems like a good fit to me

I'm the one that did the aics chassis for the savage in the link posted above. Some people wanted the prints for it and Iwrongly through a fit about it.

When ai is saying that they are working on it, I fail to see the holdup. I built an exaxt copy of the chassis in about two weeks working back from a pair of skins. If they haven't figured out how to do it by now it means they are blowing smoke and/or not even bothering.

Personally I find the fit, weight, and design a bit clumsy. Since building the3 chassis I've switched back to a savage factory hs precision. They look good but don't fit me or my shooting style worth a damn. They do make a great magazine though.:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dinosdeuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that like putting an Escort motor in a Ferrari?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I don't think so. It is a nice set up and he runs it quite well. </div></div>

Dinosdeuce, I don't think (hope) he was specifically speaking of mine, but the topic in general or I would have responded earlier. If it was directed towards me, I'm happy to put up a couple benji's against whatever he wants to bring to the game. I compete with mine three times a month, I'm not hard to find.

Thanks!

well the one consolation is that XLR chassis stocks are available as we speak. i sent an email to that canadian company. ill let everybody know whats up. myself, id love to have an A4 McMillan. its just the ordering and waiting and no one that carrys them wants to take the initiative to order in a few for savage. not just the 700 ones.

the canadian company has stopped production as stated in this thread. which seems strange because AICS sure seems to be dragging their feet. they used a milled chassis and not extruded. they dont plan to make anymore, and said that should it end up in litigation, only the lawyers would win. seems strange that an independant company could make one and have it on the market while the actual company hasnt been able to produce in over a year now. its almost time for the next SHOT show and still no savage model except the one there. maybe they just hot glued a model 10 in a standard AICS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dinosdeuce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that like putting an Escort motor in a Ferrari?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I don't think so. It is a nice set up and he runs it quite well. </div></div>

Dinosdeuce, I don't think (hope) he was specifically speaking of mine, but the topic in general or I would have responded earlier. If it was directed towards me, I'm happy to put up a couple benji's against whatever he wants to bring to the game. I compete with mine three times a month, I'm not hard to find.

Thanks!

</div></div>

Quickdraw40

I never that about it that way. Any how I was just covering your six!!

Dino

I have a Savage 10FP in an AICS stock. The chassis was custom machined at Alberta Tactical Rifle and if fits the AICS skins. It was a straight drop in and fit perfectly. It runs the AI mags and the accutrigger fit no problems. It is nicely skeletonized as well to reduce some of the weight, bit still comes in around 5lbs.

With handloads my rifle hits .35 moa at 220 yards

I didnt have my rifle zeroed for that load as I was still load testing, but you can see 3 3shot groups that averaged .270 moa at 220 yards (200m) Measuring was done with On Target.

178gr Amax, 44.7gr Varget, Lapua Brass fireformed. OAL of 2.824
20 thou off the lands.
Quickload says it is 2684fps at 61 500psi. That velocity seems to work out to 800m with my xbal program

www.albertatacticalrifle.com

SDC12242.jpg
[/img]

SDC12241.jpg
[/img]

Savage10FP308220yardsAverage270moa.jpg
[/img]