• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS setup questions

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
I've recently purchased an AICS 2.0 for my 5R. I'm currently on travel, and I'm trying to order everything I need prior to my return. Have a few questions for those familiar with the AICS.

Is the AI bipod a significant improvement over a Harris?

The AICS I ordered has what appears to be a piece of metal sticking out the front (under the barrel). Most pictures I see here on the hide don't have this piece. It appears to be where the AI bipod would attach. Anyone know what this is?

Is the length of pull shorter than a 5R H-S Precision stock? Wondering if I will need additional spacer(s)?

Thanks!

Re: AICS setup questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is the AI bipod a significant improvement over a Harris?</div></div>
The AI bipod is better suited as a paper weight in my opinion. There are several bipods out there that get the job done-the AI model isn't one of them. I would take a Harris anyday over it.

As far as LOP goes, you should be fine without additional spacers.

I don't know if you are referring to the spigot release button or the spigot hole.

I use the Atlas bipod with the AI spigot mount (also from Atlas) on an AICS 1.5 and 2.0 and yes I think it is a significant improvement over my Harris swivel w/pod-lock bipods.

Someone else will have to comment on whether the AI is better than the Atlas. I don't know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the AI bipod a significant improvement over a Harris?</div></div>No.

Stay away from the AI bipod. It's probably good on a machine gun where you can track something moving easily, but on a precision rifle it's very loose and floppy. You need to be able to load it in order to keep it stable. On many surfaces you can do this OK, but on loose stone and gravel like I have to deal with at my gun club, it's a real pain in the ass. A Harris is much easier to use. Can't comment on the Atlas until I buy and try one. As far as the length of pull, you'll just have to get behind the rifle in whatever position you shoot from the most and see how it feels.

Thanks to all for your help.

I was looking at the Atlas/spigot combination, but it would appear that Atlas is currently filling military orders and not shipping to civilians.

I'll use my Harris BRM-S for now and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice on avoiding the AI. Spending 350 bucks on a sub-par bipod would not be a good experience.

Thanks! I'll give them a call and see if they arrived.

Edit: Called Mile High, and ordered one over the phone. Even got a 5% discount for being a Hide member. Pretty cool.

Hi

I have one Bat actioned rifle with AICS 2.0 stock with the gunsmith right now.
The standard Harris will fit the stock or I need some special tool to atach the bipod to the stock?

Thanks

The AICS will give you the standard LOP. I have a 14 1/2 LOP and required the spacers. They are not exspensive. As previously stated the metal block that extends out of the front of the stock serves as a NV mount for say KAC,AI, Badger ORD. ect. It also gives you the option of using an Atlas bi-pod with the spigot mount. You can remove the block if you choose and you have the option of running a Harris type bi-pod if the Atlas dont float your boat so to speak.