• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS stock cheek weld & mag question

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
I'm buying my first AICS stock, a 2.0, and have a few questions. First, how does the cheek weld on these compare with a standard stock, such as a non adjusting McMillan or HS Precision 5R? More specifically, with the AICS at its lowest position, is it still pretty much the same height as the others? Reason I ask, I need to order a set of rings for a US Optics SN3 44mm obj. I can normally get by with a set of low rings on a 20 MOA rail, but not sure with an AICS. Any ideas?

Also, what is the max OAL for an unmodified AICS mag? What about for a modified? The rifle is a built 700 in 7mm-08, and those pesky 162s can get awfully long! Thanks!

Re: AICS stock cheek weld & mag question

Jason your ring height depends on a few things... scope bell size, scope base and your barrel profile. If you have a 44mm bell and a 'normal' barrel profile (eg palma is one) you should be fine with low rings. It depends on the maker of the rings as well... some ring maker's 'low' is others 'medium'.

The AICS cheek piece is just a bit higher than a mcmillian A5. You can adjust it to any height you need.

eta- off the top of my head, the max OAL in a AICS mag is about 2.85".

I have no issues with Check weld on mine and I run a 44 if anything u will find with the stock that the cheak piece is high. I have to run mine on the stock if I move it up at all it's above the eye piece. If u look at most of the pics here u will see they are all almost on the stock due to this issue. And as at as oal I have a 223 and mine are .2 off the lands and I have ample room in the mag. I think most the mags a bit long but don't quote me on that. I don't believe u will not have an issue but it would be best for a 7 mm guy to chime in. Best of luck

call mile high shooting, there a sponcer and they know it all when it comes to ai. their on the web them or cs tactical but in my book mile high best to talk to on this matter, ( No offense Mike)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">call mile high shooting, there a sponcer and they know it all when it comes to ai. their on the web them or cs tactical but in my book mile high best to talk to on this matter, ( No offense Mike) </div></div>

agreed I got mine from them and they are great to deal with.

My concern isn't so much whether the bell will clear the barrel, but rather if the cheek piece (in lowest position) will be too high to use low rings. I know I can get by with low rings and 20 MOA rail on a HS Precision 5R stock, but not sure on the AICS. I guess my safest bet would be to simply order medium rings, as I can always adjust the cheek piece up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My concern isn't so much whether the bell will clear the barrel, but rather if the cheek piece (in lowest position) will be too high to use low rings. I know I can get by with low rings and 20 MOA rail on a HS Precision 5R stock, but not sure on the AICS. I guess my safest bet would be to simply order medium rings, as I can always adjust the cheek piece up. </div></div>

Most people don't have the problem with the comb being too high, usually it's too low. The best thing to do is find someone locally who has one you can try out. There should be a least a few guys that run AICS at your local range.

The lowest ring you need to use is a .885 for a 30mm. If using a 34mm tube 1.0 is the best anything lower will result in a diffucult cheekweld. But if you have an applehead it could be diffrent jk LOL! Seriously though 1.0 is the best for 34mm tube.

Rich

TPS is for shit stay away. If you want a little cheaper Seekins but no TPS people have seriously screwed up their optics to save 50 bucks.

Rich

I've actually had good luck with TPS steel rings, not so much with their aluminum alloy rings. That being said, I'm not too concerned ordering a set from SWFA, as their customer service is impeccable. My main concern now isn't so much which ring to go with, but what height will be satisfactory with the AICS.

I just put a caliper to a few unmodified 308 AICS mags I have here and found that the inside length measurements were 2.907" for one and 2.909" for the other.

The front reinforcement plate is 0.080" thick.

I have a McMillan A3 and AICS and find that the AICS sits a bit higher than the A3 when using the same rings. I need the AICS cheekpiece to be seated almost all the way down and flush with the skins while I need to move the saddle on the McMillan up around 3/8"-1/2" or so for the same fit. That may be due to the way the different cheekpieces fit me, but it is what it is. Hope that helps.

I had to get badger 30mm high steel rings to get proper sight picture on my scope. That is w badger 20 moa sa rail.anything. lower rings no go.

I picked up my AICS today, and the first thing I can say is "WOW"!!! It is certainly one impressive piece of equipment!

I haven't had a chance to check cheek weld, as I am still waiting on the scope and rings to arrive. I ordered medium rings, which I hope will be high enough. I can say that even with the cheek piece all the way down, you are still pretty high above the bore. I hope mediums will be high enough!

I have one question on the cheek weld, how well does the locking mechanism work once set? I ask because they sell spacers for them and I thought I had read about someone's aics or aiae had issues with keeping 'it' up lol, had to phrase it that way.

I had to use high rings, and they are borderline, but I have a high cheekbone.

I also bought my AICS through Mile High they are easy to talk to and great to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLHX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to get badger 30mm high steel rings to get proper sight picture on my scope. That is w badger 20 moa sa rail.anything. lower rings no go. </div></div>

I found the same thing

Well, I ended up going with a set of steel TPS medium rings. They arrived yesterday, and I was able to get everything together last night. Height isn't perfect, but they are usable right now. The cheek piece has to be in the absolute lowest position, and would probably be perfect with it removed completely. I may go ahead and try high rings, as they would leave me with more flexibility.

I don't like the idea of having to mount the scope so high, but the setup of the stock necessitates it. Nevertheless, I am extremely impressed with the stock, but would prefer to be able to mount the scope lower.

Someone needs to make a replacement shorter cheek rest for those of us with larger heads...Hint...Hint...Victor CO.