• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Air rifle hog hunt with a Gamo Hunter Extreme

Phil1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Minot N.D.
http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/55316/1079652

I don't know what to make of this.

This is a quote from a review on this rifle and ammo;

"Accuracy with Raptors
Because the velocity of this rifle is so high, there isn't much sense in shooting endless targets with lightweight pellets. They will go supersonic and the accuracy will be destroyed. However, there is one pellet I HAD to test. The Raptor PBA is the pellet Gamo touts as a 1600 f.p.s. pellet in their advertising (and 1650 f.p.s. pellet on the gun itself) and had to be shot for accuracy. This is also the pellet they use in the video in which they kill a hog.

The hog was shot at close range, probably not more than 15-20 yards. The rifle used in the video was not the Hunter Extreme, but it was the Hunter 1250, which gets the same velocity and, I have to assume, the same accuracy. Testing accuracy at 25 yards seems reasonable, because many hunters don't shoot much farther than that with a breakbarrel spring gun...and 35-40 yards is about tops.

I do not endorse hunting game the size of hogs with smallbore airguns. I think it is irresponsible and I think showing a video of it puts a poor face on this company that has many good products to their credit. But they did it and you can see it on their website, on the page where the Hunter Extreme is shown.

The BEST five-shot group I could get at 25 yards with the Raptor PBA pellet measures 1.8" center-to-center. The average group measured 2.248". It wasn't the size of the group that interested me the most. It was the shape of the pellet holes. Several of the holes are almost perfect profiles of the Raptor pellet, which means they went through the paper sideways. They are not stable and are starting to spin out of control at 25 yards. I have to guess that they are either being spun too fast by the rifling because of the high velocity, which we established is about 1,350 f.p.s., or they are being buffeted by the supersonic shockwave. Maybe a little of both. While they're accurate enough for a close-range shot, hunters have little hope of connecting at longer distances."

Re: Air rifle hog hunt with a Gamo Hunter Extreme

After killing a bunch of hogs with a .22, I have no doubt that higher end large bore airguns possess the power and accuracy to get the job done. Large bore airguns have been around a long time, Lewis and Clark even took one on on their little stroll across the country.
I would hesitate to shoot a deer or any other large native mammal with something like the above. As far as ethical delimmas when killing hogs, I have none, as do most who bear witness the damage that these critters do to agricultural land. I've always felt that wild pigs are a great medium for guilt-free ballistic testing, whether it be a pellet gun or .50 BMG.

Re: Air rifle hog hunt with a Gamo Hunter Extreme

That's pretty amazing. I'll stick with my .308 though.