• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Air rifle offhand to practice for NRA Highpower

Gary Smith

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2005
Whitewood S.D.
Anyone use a air rifle to practice for NRA Highpower? I have set up a spot in my basement with tape on floor to mark foot pos. spotting scope, shooting stool ect. and I am practicing @ 50ft.
What size of target should I shoot to approximate the NRA SR 200?
I am using a 50ft air rifle target now and it is small.

Re: Air rifle offhand to practice for NRA Highpower

I used Daisy 888's. Great rifles.
Use an AR 5/10 target at 10 meters (~33 ft). I never bothered to check the size v. distance to compare for HP. The concept is the same.
1 shot per bull for proper scoring, but multiple shots will work.

Pilkington makes an upper for high pressure air using your lower.
$750.

For the targets ratio the distances to size of the aiming black, the 9 ring which is 13 inches

Re: Air rifle offhand to practice for NRA Highpowe

In The Netherlands we shoot unofficially at 100m and 50m .22 targets.
For 100m air rifle we also developed a target that you can find here
http://www.100mairgun.nl/category/De-ideale-100m-kaart.aspx

(My 10m rifle is a walther LG300, for 10-25m I use a HW50 with a low power maccary spring and for 50 and 100m I use a Weihrauch HW100 and HW77 with ginb stock.)

Although I usually shoot the SR in HP competition XTC, I do use an old FWB 300 with its aperture front and rear sights on a real 10m target. What I want out of it is to refine my NPA and to develope the elusive subconconcious trigger control. That translates even when I use the front post sight instead.

I shot on a pellet rifle team through high school, and I also shot on a junior highpower rifle team. I think that there isn't anything that will build follow through like practice with a pellet rifle.