• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

air rifle trainer?

Re: air rifle trainer?

I just bit the bullet and ordered the Beeman R7.
Pyramid Air's rifle range at the NRA convention was
a great idea for kids. They should have had me in mind and
setup to just go right down the line, one right after the other, for comparison. I guess the kids come first.

I just couldn't justify the whole PCP committment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bit the bullet and ordered the Beeman R7.
</div></div>

R7 or HW30S (same gun) is an excellent low power plinker (around 7 FPE). Super accurate for a springer of its class.

Here is my best 40 yard 3 shot group with a cheap 6 power scope. Even at that range pigeons just flip over and die...

R740yards.jpg

With the price of competitive imported rimfire ammo going up like crazy and the better lots unobtainable due to global demand the air rifles are starting to get really popular and you can see the writing on the wall. A case of Eley Red Box rimfire ammo is pushing 2 grand and if you like to shoot often that adds up and rimfire competiton, albeit at closer distances, is just like the real thing without the noise and your wind reading skills just as important.

Just got my R7 from FedEx. Don't know why I waited so long.
Shooting 1 hole at 10 yards with every pellet I have.
Beeman H&N's hole is the smallest. Trigger is 1.75lbs and I
don't have to worry about SCUBA tanks.

Halarious to me.....22's for big rifle trainers......now air rifles for trainers for the 22's.......whats next? Rubber band guns for air rifle trainers? lmfao

While i like air rifles and have shot them all my life this "trainer" thinking makes me laugh. If you want an air gun to shoot, just get one, but don't play it off as some high end training device for other stuff.

I do not shoot airguns as trainers, but this thread did get me thinking about getting another to do some precision shooting for another sport...

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotCox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Halarious to me.....22's for big rifle trainers......now air rifles for trainers for the 22's.......whats next? Rubber band guns for air rifle trainers? lmfao

While i like air rifles and have shot them all my life this "trainer" thinking makes me laugh. If you want an air gun to shoot, just get one, but don't play it off as some high end training device for other stuff. </div></div>

I don't know about you but I can't shoot centerfire/rimfire in my backyard or basement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't know about you but I can't shoot centerfire/rimfire in my backyard or basement. </div></div>

Exactly. Besides, we can use a high precision airgun to hunt small game in places where using of even suppressed rimfires is out of question. So more trigger time for me. There are couple of ranches I go to on my down time. I laughed my ass off when the landowner realized how accurate and deadly these modern airguns are, and most importantly, much much safer. I let him shoot one of my "trainers" and when the small chunk of lead blew completely through an old cell phone at 80 yards, he was hooked! He lost count how many people he turned away who thought their rimfire or a centerfire was the best tool for small game hunting and pest control. He thought so too until one lucky day I decided to introduce myself...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotCox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Halarious to me.....22's for big rifle trainers......now air rifles for trainers for the 22's.......whats next? Rubber band guns for air rifle trainers? lmfao

While i like air rifles and have shot them all my life this "trainer" thinking makes me laugh. If you want an air gun to shoot, just get one, but don't play it off as some high end training device for other stuff. </div></div>

Congratulations,..you won first prize for idiot posting of the week.

That Anschutz 9003 that the OP posted on its a world class match rifle, not a toy.

Take a look at the FT comps the airgunners shoot internationally and you will see them putting pellet on pellet out to beyond 55yds. To do that you need to be bang on on range estimation and your wind skills have to be dramatically more profficient than a great many centrefire shooters ever espire to. All this combined with very difficult trajectories of a pellet make you really learn to hone all the fundamental shooting skills.

A tin of match pellets costs just a few bucks and keeps you shooting all day. If distance is a challenge you want to take up them there are formal 100yrd comps too in which airguns produce as good and better benchrest scores than rimfire!

So rather than scoff,..go try a match airgun at a club and see just how good your fundamental shooting skills are against "just airgunners",...the chances are you will get handed your ass on a plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotCox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Halarious to me.....22's for big rifle trainers......now air rifles for trainers for the 22's.......whats next? Rubber band guns for air rifle trainers? lmfao

Congratulations,..you won first prize for idiot posting of the week.

That Anschutz 9003 that the OP posted on its a world class match rifle, not a toy.

Take a look at the FT comps the airgunners shoot internationally and you will see them putting pellet on pellet out to beyond 55yds. To do that you need to be bang on on range estimation and your wind skills have to be dramatically more profficient than a great many centrefire shooters ever espire to. All this combined with very difficult trajectories of a pellet make you really learn to hone all the fundamental shooting skills.

A tin of match pellets costs just a few bucks and keeps you shooting all day. If distance is a challenge you want to take up them there are formal 100yrd comps too in which airguns produce as good and better benchrest scores than rimfire!

So rather than scoff,..go try a match airgun at a club and see just how good your fundamental shooting skills are against "just airgunners",...the chances are you will get handed your ass on a plate.
</div></div>

You wanna jump down off your soap box now? I was in no way saying anything against air guns or there use or the shooters of them. I was simply laughing about how everyone seems to be calling everything a trainer, for something bigger. I am sure i could come up with a great rubber band gun capable of great 5' shots and make a competition out of it. But i refuse to call it a trainer for my air rifle that is the trainer for my rimfire that is a trainer for my centerfire. lol

Take a deep breath dude.

Trigger time is trigger time.
Your post reminds me of the hunters that show up at the range a week before deer season, shoot 3 rounds at 50 yards, puff the chest and say "I'm good!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger time is trigger time.
Your post reminds me of the hunters that show up at the range a week before deer season, shoot 3 rounds at 50 yards, puff the chest and say "I'm good!" </div></div>

Cool so you agree my rubber band gun would make the perfect "trainer".
smile.gif
lmfao

I'm shooting an RWS Model 48. Those are some fancy pellet rifles for sure. They will teach you follow through and are alot cheaper to shoot. The RWS is very powerful and has chewed through many pieces of plywood in very short order as I shoot down my driveway and into my garage. Be sure your backstop can take the punishment. I use open sights as I shoot over a post in my quest. I also have a Sheridan pump action (.20) that is over 26 yrs. old and still going strong. Not a single piece of plastic on that one! I would advise to stay away from break barrels. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Yep...what some folks don't realize is that the cost of some high end airguns is close to or as much as full-blown custom centerfires.

Shooting a .177 air gun at 100 yards is as every bit as challenging as shooting a .308 at 400 yards. Just did both recently and if anything, the .177 pellet at 100 is much harder.

Trigger time is trigger time IMO. My son has learned A TON about drop, windage, compensation from shooting pellet guns that translated into centerfire at longer distances.

I admire the guys who spend alot on high dollar air rifles. I still spend my money on custom built high caliber rifles, but I along with many many other people can remember learning alot from air rifles of every sort while we were growing up. To each his own - no need to put anyone's ideas or opinions down!