• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIRBORNE, Ohio to Jump School and back on the bike

ohiosniper1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
Ohio, USA
Last nite I made it home from an 1827 mile ride.
My oldest daughter was graduating US Army Airborne school and with her being a second generation paratrooper and Special Ops Command and fifth generation Army, I felt the pull to go down and pin her jump wings.
My ride started about noon Wendsday.
After my late start I made it to South Carolina day 1. The weather hit in WV on the way down and I pushed threw it and the bike ran great. Extra gear and mods to the bike worked out well. One of my fuel stops on the way...
562558_3178027045945_1123696085_32569189_1892468784_n.jpg

My morning of day 2 started with reloading the bike, chain maitanence and coffee.
DSCN1767.jpg

I got in Columbus Georgia Thursday about 2 pm, rode round the post some and the kids last jump, that was schedualed Wendsday, postponed to Thursday, got kicked back again due to weather. New plan was kid was jumping Friday and would grad on Fryar Drop Zone inside Alabama. Due to this change I grabbed a room and waited till the AM.
Friday weather sucked too. I was on the drop zone by 09:30.
DSCN1775.jpg

I did pass an old Slick on the way and it looked like a great photo op...
DSCN1772.jpg

No rain but low ceiling. Aircraft due to be loded at 10 am were pushed back to after 3. This allowed my old paratrooper ass to crash out a bit.
536500_3201724238360_1123696085_32573200_221162711_n.jpg

Finally the bird started dropping the paratrooper students on their final jump.
DSCN1783.jpg

DSCN1784.jpg

DSCN1790.jpg

Not to long and the kid was hauling her grear back to the AA.
DSCN1798.jpg

DSCN1799.jpg

url]

One all the class was on the DZ, they collected their gear and graduated on the drop zone.
url]

This was pretty awesome. The company commander called out all parents or grandparents who were Airborne and had us form oup on him. Then he ordered all second and third generation paratroopers to fall out of formation and fall in on their family members. I was able to pin the kid on Fryar Drop Zone with my Blood Wings from 21 years ago. That was worth the ride right there. We were WARNED that NO BLOOD WINGS were to be given due to Pentigon policy (the old school Vietnam Vet next to me said to his grandson "wait till be get away and you'll get real wings." (this mission was accomplished back at the company area near the towers out of eyeshot by MANY of us older guys to the new troopers)
We broke off from there and back to Jump School at main post. Kid out proccess the school and get ready to fly back to FT Bragg. I cruised about main post a bit. Had to take a few pictures while I waited for her to clear.
url]

url]

We hung out for a little while, accompished our Blood Wing detail out of sight of any instructors and she made faces at my camera.
url]

She was of to the airport and I was off on the bike. At this time it was near 8pm and I made it to north GA and grabed a $40 motel.
url]

My long haul back Satuday was slammed with rain and cold starting in Virginia. But all and all I survived and it was well worth it. Poor weather and all. Great ride that covered parts of Ohio, PA, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.
url]

url]

url]

The bike ran great. Chain required maits on the way of course, tires got air once, The Perrelli Angel ST's were great and only one wheel skid on the rear pulling in a lot in the rain in SC one cold nite. Yeah, my ass hurts some but not all that bad. Left front turn indicator and clock and trip memory also took a dump on the way and will need attention. But for a hard pushed trip in bad weather, I'll take it.

Re: AIRBORNE, Ohio to Jump School and back on the bike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool trip! Congrats to your daughter! </div></div>

And a nice photo record of it. Thanks for shareing.

I have two sons in the Army at the moment. I am waiting for the day I get to take the pilgrimage to Benning so I can pin their wings on. Great story and great pictures.

Contgrats to your Daughter. My Grandson will graduate next year, ROTC, I'll pin him with my 2LT Bar I was pinned with, and my Ex Boss and Mentor Pinned me with when I graduated OCS, he got it from a Korea War 2LT.

Either this summer or after he graduates next summer he'll go to jump school. I hope to be able to pin his wings on him. Only I ain't buying the "no blood wing crap", I got 'em in '66, he'll get them too.

For you and you Daughter: The Airborne Toast

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have ridden the skies in great machines,

hooked up and jumped with the best of men.

I have fought long and hard, and when I felt I had no energy

left,

I have been fired by the fear that I stopped fighting, my

comrades would die.

And when I was in danger, enemy all around,

I heard the thunder from my left and my right, as my life was

defended.

I have never been alone.

I live, jump, fight and battle to victory with the greatest

assemblage of men on earth.

Gentlemen, to the BROTHERHOOD of the AIRBORNE.</div></div>

Congrats on the handing down, as well as the ride. Ya'll have a lot to be proud of, and for.

Crazy question, but what is this 'no blood wings bs'? Anyone willing to give the 'short version' here?

Jump wings are suppose to be hammered into the chest, that's why they are called blood wings.

The new PC army sayd No Blood Wings, But if I make it to pin my grandson, you can bet your ass its going to be bloodwings.

Congrats to your daughter Fazer! Good story and pics.

Oh the memories...congrats to your daughter
smile.gif

She's all tucked in back at Bragg. 3rd Group wants to get her "cherry jump" knocked out Wendsday. Supposed to be a chopper blast out a UH60. I'm sure the blood winging is not over just yet...

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. Airborne, All the way.

You must be very proud of her, and rightly so.

PS - I do like the FZ1: a very capable street bike that's also quite at home on the track. I rode the 600cc version around Ireland for four days - crappy suspension and a lackluster engine. But the larger bike is the shit!

You must be very proud. Great to hear about your trip. Welcome your daughter to the ranks of the paratroops for us....Airborne, all the way!

Anything worth pinning is worth pounding, that is all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CheechTheDon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything worth pinning is worth pounding, that is all.
</div></div>LOL!

But I would never use the term 'pouding' when making reference to a man's daughter.
laugh.gif

Damn you're right, totally was talking about the wings. Still have my scars lol!

Congratz to you and her, brings back memories.