• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes AK 47 red dot

the_math_ninja

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2011
BG KY
I want to get my father a red dot sight for Christmas for his AK he got earlier this year. He was complaining about the sights being hard to see and not really liking them. So I was hoping you guys here at the hide could give me some tips/advice or some recommendations on what to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: AK 47 red dot

Any quality red dot will do, so what to get depends on your budget.

However, the real trick with an AK is mounting it. Does it have an existing picatinny rail? If not, does it have an existing AK scope rail on the left side?

Count yourself lucky that these are good times for AK accessories, that is to say that there are now more colors of lipstick to put on pigs
wink.gif

My prefered set up is a mini red dot such as the Trij RMR, Insight MRDS, Docter or Burris. Those are arranged in order of cost from high to low btw.

Second option would be a Aimpoint T-1, Vortex SPARC or Primary Arms.

Lastly would be the Aimpoint style 30mm tubes.

For mounts you have the Midwest railed handguard, Midwest/US PALM dedicated handguard top mounts and LAV's prefered Ultimak rail.

If you decide on a mini red dot I suggest the Attero mount, I also owned the MI mini mount but didnt think too much of it compared to the Attero although the machine work is much better the Attero get the not for ruggedness.

Well that should get you started lol, after trying many combos I ended up with the Attero and an MRD

Also stock with 3.5-4 MOA dots some optics are 7 MOA or larger which is fine to about 100yds but IMO too big beyond that range.

I know it doesn't have a picatinny rail but I'm not sure if it has a side rail or not. I'll have to look again.

As far as budget I'm not wanting to go over $150, but could go a little higher. It doesn't need to be anything fancy or high end, just something so he can take it out and shoot occasionally.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Anybody have anything else to add?

I thought LaRue had a red dot system for a AK47, I think it was called the " Iron Dot" , but I don't know if they still make this system anymore. Jay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmj5407</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought LaRue had a red dot system for a AK47, I think it was called the " Iron Dot" , but I don't know if they still make this system anymore. Jay. </div></div>

Yep and they shit canned the idea a few years ago. Issue with AK's is they are not made to any standard so while very similar there are enough variations in the parts to make production of a one size fits all AK mount a bit challenging in respect to country of origin.

Midwest and Attero are very similar to the AKID Larue and each has a pro and con. Attero is a bit less universal fit but is more rugged (IMO). The Midwest is much more adjustable to different rifles but that also due to what I can see as some possible stress points for breakage.

Ultimak is proven and simple my only gripe with it is that since it replaces the gas tube the thing will burn the shit out of your hand if you are not wearing a glove. My thought on this was I dont want my rifles to be wardrobe dependant so I went to the MI then the Attero.

I went with an Ultimak setup on my SLR-101. I can't remember which mount I went with but it put the red dot sight low enough that I could cowitness.

Thanks again for all the input guys. I think I'm going to go with that combo, Anchor Zero.

Thanks guys!

I know there is some lack of trust with the rail mounts but I've had good luck with them. You could stick with a Cobra red dot, or PK-A, integrated mount but you will be beyond your price range. + side is it will work with other AK platforms you may own.

The side mounts suck cock! I HAD a REAL Kobra red dot site and the mount somehow worked loose during a shooting session. I didn't notice until the red turned off. I just thought that the battery was dead but I soon realized that the sight had broken becuase it was loose on the mount and taking an excessive beating. Now I'm out the sight and I don't even know where to score a real one anymore.
frown.gif
Stick with a Ultimak real or something along those lines......

As a side not anyone here proficient at fixing Russian optics?