• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AK-47 Underfolder Vs. Fixed Vs. Sidefolders

Re: AK-47 Underfolder Vs. Fixed Vs. Sidefolders

Back to the subject at hand....

I fondled an underfolder with this cheek rest installed and it was a significant improvement in comfort http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/category/AK-47_cheek_rest.html

Moving right along to side folders here is my 2 cents.

ACE products- I really have mixed feelings about these. I curently have the ace stock and internal receiver block/adapter installed on my Arsenal Saiga. I am using the folding mech made by Stormwerks IMO it locks up a bit more solid than the ace and as a bonus its a tad bit less expensive. In regards to the adapters you have two choices for attaching the folding mech to the rifle one requires modification to the rifle the other does not. The no mod version is fugly and IMO stick out way to far from behind the rifle, Krebs makes a similar product which looks better but still sticks out rather far for my liking. Option two is the internal block which requires the removal of the stock trunnion tang (tab). While this mod is simple to do with a dremmel or hacksaw and file be forwarned there is no going back. What I disslike about the internal adapter is that its attached via the grip screw nut and a nut within a "T" slot. IMO not the most ridgid method however due to the lack of uniformity within the AK family it was done to allow accomadation of all variants. I ended up drilling and tapping into the receiver block to eliminate the use of the nut in the "T" slot and it was a significant improvement. Now regarding the stock/folding mech and adapter all together as a unit, all I can say is it really screws up the ergos of the AK. The stock ends up being inline with the receiver which is not how the AK was designed. It makes using low mounted red dots and the iron sights awkward and slow to come onto target.

I regret cutting the trunnion tang and will end up reinstalling another unmodified trunnion. Some other options that I consider viable that do not require trunnion mod would be:

Vltor- Good solid simple design that allows use of any AR stock. Only downside is I personnaly disslike AR things on AK's YMMV.

Polish Breyl side folder- While not readily available they pop up on gun broker fairly often. I really like this stock and its the reason I want to switch my trunnion. It has an AI style lock up and folds to the right which is really only a concern if you intent to run a left side or dual sided charging handle.

Mako (Galil mech) stock. Fairly new offering utilizing the Galil folding mech which is pretty roock solid. This damn thing is not cheap at just under 400 bucks. Would be a great option if running a magnified optic as it allows adjustment for cheek weld, its Nato length which is a bit on the long side for most AK fans.

Whatever you decide just avoid Tapco unless you are just wanting a cheap beater rifle.

Unless you need to parachute with it or ride around in a tank, the underfolder is not really a good choice. Solid side folders, triangular side folders, and Romanian wire side folders all work, my preference in that order. Unless you need a compact AK, a solid stocked version is a better choice.

I ran a wire side folder on a AMD-65 for about a year. Obtaining a proper cheek weld was quite difficult. For a 100 yd blaster this would be great but beyond that, a fixed stock would be optimal.

dwood +1 remarks

To me it is best of both worlds -triangular side folder. Light weight, folds when you get in vehicle, and a place to rest cheek when you need controlled aimed fire.

Underfolders I do not care for. Cheekweld issues - also not uncommon for underfolders to develop play in the stock. Usually first question experienced buyers will ask about an underfolder for sale.

re the AK bashing as a side issue for someone shopping for AK - I've found a lot of bashers don't own or never owned. AK = outstanding weapon and here's my side folder:

There is an option available for the wire side folder that gives a better cheek weld. I have one but have not installed it. I think this will make a good addition to the Romy wire side folder for those who don't feel good with the wire stock alone.

http://www.amd65tech.com/expertise.html

wiresidefolderaddoncheekweld.jpg