• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK style rifle

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I have a few AR style platform rifles, and am now thinking of trying out the AK style...There are SO many out there, I have no idea which is best..I'm just looking for a "knock around" rig, no frills--which is what the AK is known for anyway; any suggestions of manufactuers?

Re: AK style rifle

+1 for Arsenal. Outstanding quality and value. Smooth as silk.

couple of good threads about that. Try searching. ARFCOM's got their own dedicated forum about AKs.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2236806&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2291829

http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47info.php

I say Norinco MAK 90. Best bang for the buck. High quality assembly, fit and finish is superb for an AK. Can be had for about $450-700, best stock trigger IMHO. Thicker receiver than other variants so furniture can be a pain if you want to upgrade them.
IMG_0575.jpg

The Chez VZ series is AKesque. I have owned an AK for years but was very impressed with the trigger and ability to hold on target through multiple shots. Very simple in its mechanism.

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1</span> for Chinese Norinco & Poly Tech AKM & MAK90 rifles.

Excellent triggers, chrome lined barrels and thicker stamped receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Arsenal. Outstanding quality and value. Smooth as silk. </div></div>

+2 for an Arsenal.

Norinco and polytechs are super nice, but spendy. Mac 90s are cheaper but a lot of times you have to convert them.
Here are my two AKs. One is a Lancaster 47 sidefolder and the other is a Arsenal in 5.56
IMG_6486.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boardride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Norinco and polytechs are super nice, but spendy. </div></div>

Agreed and that's the reason I own just one AKM.

IMG_2561.jpg

Saiga Legion series is the best gun on the market. They are the real deal Russian Izhmash made AK. The 762 guns are attractively priced, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">h2o who built that ak ...that thing is super sweet.. </div></div>

Thanks.

I built it, I started with a bone stock pre-ban Norinco and made all of the upgrades myself.

I have a personal preference toward prebans. Some of my favorites from top to bottom. All are prebans:

1. Zastava (Mitchell Arms Import) Yugo / built on RPK receiver / replaced wood grip with military grip
2. Zastava (Mitchell Arms Import) Yugo / built on RPK receiver/ replaced wood grip with military grip
3. Polytech Legend / milled receiver
4. Norinco 56s
5. Polytech AKS sidefolder / These are my favorites! Great feel/balance and you can actually get a good cheek weld compared to underfolders.
6. Polytech AKS sidefolder
7. Norinco 84s (.223)
8. Norinco 56s / Tapco SAW grip (which is actually my favorite AK grip)

DSC00107-1.jpg

I've asked around, and this seems to be the jist of the whole situation...they are all pretty fair, some better than others (like the arsenal--but it's a bit more than I wanna pay) I was looking at the "Polish 1960" model (I think that's right) and the Vector...Thanks for the help!

If weight is a consideration, I would not recommend the milled polish. Chinese still make the AK47 (thicker reciever heavier barrel), and russia and former eastern bloc went to the AKM (modern ak) which weight was reduced (i.e., barrel, thickness of receiver). reason these countries went to stamp is ease and cost of manufacturering and weight. Personally on the topic of weight - I don't like heavy guns or heavy women.

H20 thats what AK purists call a "franken-k". If I were the enemy, I would run from it just based on it's looks lol.

fat bottomed women make the rocking world go round!

After lugging an M60 around in the boonies an AK of any type seems sweeeet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MedCpt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

H20 thats what AK purists call a "franken-k". If I were the enemy, I would run from it just based on it's looks lol. </div></div>

Franken-K sounds good to me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Arsenal. Outstanding quality and value. Smooth as silk. </div></div>

+2 for an Arsenal. </div></div>

Arsenal AK74, which is in 5.45 instead of 7.62. All the reasonable milsurp ammo requires immediate cleanup, but per-mag load it's anywhere from $1.75 to $2.00 cheaper. That starts to add up and makes a decent piece pay for itself with use. An even better 5.45 deal is a non-Century Tantal: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=2834945 Purists will scream like little bitches that this one doesn't have the fake left-side burst selector, but what's the point on a semiautomatic rifle?

So what's the connection between your input and my quote? I didn't specify any calibers and said nothing about Tantal or prices on ammo...

years ago I picked up a Siaga in 7.62x39 unconverted. for the $125 I paid for it (NIB), I figuered I was gonna have some fun. I did the conversion to pistol grip with US parts....using nothing more then basic hand tools and dremel tools...was fairly easy, took only a couple hours time farting around. I had so little in this thing I decided to make it a pure abuse gun.....many a time after finishing shooting I wanted to put it in the back of the truck before going done range (desert shooting)....being to lazy to walk the 10 or 15 feet and wanting to truly abuse this firearm I would remove the mag, make sure the chamber was clear and launch it into the truck bed.......more then once I would finish shooting and literally just drop the thing....on many occasions people I was shooting with would just be standing there with the mouth wide open, eyes bulging out. I never did clean the rifle, even after several thousand rounds through it......I finally gave it to my brother, he cleaned it up and still has it.....that rifle always worked, never gave me a problem....it won, I lost....I would not have any problem owning a Siaga after what that one went through.

I also have a Norinco and a Sar2 and a FrankenAK in process of a rebuild.

+1 On the WASR.

Just picked one up. It was cheap and it feels and fires like a AK.

I contemplated many times buying a high end one, but then realized thats not really why you get one.

There accuracy is never going to be that of an AR so why pay AR prices.

The only other AK I really want now would be a genuine AK-74u. Picked one up once and it felt great. Good balance, size, and fire power.