• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alamo Precision Rifles

MrRedFox13

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2021
Am I making a good choice on using Alamo Precision Rifle for my ELR? I want a TX company. They are always first in my mind. Is there another company I should look at?
This is the rifle has to be specs.
.300 norma
30in. 28 if can't get 30
Macmillan A5.
Defiance Deviant tactical 20 moa left hand
Trigger tech diamond
A muzzle brake that really helps keep it flat shooting.

Alamo Precision is good people. They made a fantastic hunting rig for me, and others I have shot are very good as well.

APR builds a helluva rifle-- the guys there are top notch. The rifle you are describing is their 'Range Boss' model- given the high end parts you are getting and the quality craftsmanship you won't find a better deal out there for ELR.

If you are in Texas or get to the DFW area I would absolutely go by the shop and check them out.

I currently own 3 APRs (22cm, 6cm, 338RUM) and one more (7saum) that is getting finished up. They all shoot exceptionally well.

APR builds a helluva rifle-- the guys there are top notch. The rifle you are describing is their 'Range Boss' model- given the high end parts you are getting and the quality craftsmanship you won't find a better deal out there for ELR.

If you are in Texas or get to the DFW area I would absolutely go by the shop and check them out.

I currently own 3 APRs (22cm, 6cm, 338RUM) and one more (7saum) that is getting finished up. They all shoot exceptionally well.
I've been alot of 7saum popping up here lately.

It is their Range Boss. I'm in Houston and I'm thinking of trying to check them out but need a reason to drive 3 hours lol.
How well can you shoot them MOA wise?

Or buy a “ in TX, made in LA” rifle.

The prototype only went 7/10 at a mile with factory ammo and no known velocity (chrono busted) though.
kinda iffy... 🤣

Chassis and not McMillian though.

I along with several friends have had Clayton and Jonathan build rifles for us, everyone that I know of that has left WTO has been a hammer. And just an FYI if THEIS says they are gtg they are good to go.

Reactions: MrRedFox13
I along with several friends have had Clayton and Jonathan build rifles for us, everyone that I know of that has left WTO has been a hammer. And just an FYI if THEIS says they are gtg they are good to go
Well I'm new here. Who is Theis? Lol

Highly recommend APR. They just built a full custom 300 PRC for me. The whole team was great to work with. They are very knowledgeable about ELR and the tolerances required to build a solid rifle as the owner is a big into ELR. The gun they built me is top notch and shoots factory hornady 225g match sub 1/4" groups. I will definitely be using them for all my future long range builds.

Attachments

• 20210123_134603.jpg
    20210123_134603.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 127
APR is good people for sure. Robert reached out to me about doing a custom bag for him for ELR. We talked about maybe a barter for some barrel work on his end. I was a little skeptical since I had never heard of them.

Fast forward 6 months and Robert tells me to take a look at the latest gun digest. So I do and I see the bag we made for him under his rifle in a GD article about him building rifles for ELR. He gave us a shout out in the article as well. The barrel work we traded out for is top notch. I haven’t had much time to shoot it but preliminary results say it’s a freaking hammer.

The second barrel we traded for came in different than I expected. Someone in the shop got a detail wrong. This is understandable because it was a barter and I never officially made an order. In our shop if we don’t have an order ticket we’ll inevitably get something wrong lol. Robert apologized, sent a label, and had the detail fixed the same week and it’s headed back to our shop right now.

So not only do they do good work but they are damn good people. Robert went above and beyond multiple times and asked for nothing in return. We’re making some more of his Dual Wedge bags for them to sell to their ELR guys and I have no issue putting our tag next to theirs.
29564CF7-0869-4920-8F68-783A66A3DB81.jpeg

APR is good people for sure. Robert reached out to me about doing a custom bag for him for ELR. We talked about maybe a barter for some barrel work on his end. I was a little skeptical since I had never heard of them.

Fast forward 6 months and Robert tells me to take a look at the latest gun digest. So I do and I see the bag we made for him under his rifle in a GD article about him building rifles for ELR. He gave us a shout out in the article as well. The barrel work we traded out for is top notch. I haven’t had much time to shoot it but preliminary results say it’s a freaking hammer.

The second barrel we traded for came in different than I expected. Someone in the shop got a detail wrong. This is understandable because it was a barter and I never officially made an order. In our shop if we don’t have an order ticket we’ll inevitably get something wrong lol. Robert apologized, sent a label, and had the detail fixed the same week and it’s headed back to our shop right now.

So not only do they do good work but they are damn good people. Robert went above and beyond multiple times and asked for nothing in return. We’re making some more of his Dual Wedge bags for them to sell to their ELR guys and I have no issue putting our tag next to theirs.
View attachment 7591513
Looks like I'm going APR. Thank you

Highly recommend APR. They just built a full custom 300 PRC for me. The whole team was great to work with. They are very knowledgeable about ELR and the tolerances required to build a solid rifle as the owner is a big into ELR. The gun they built me is top notch and shoots factory hornady 225g match sub 1/4" groups. I will definitely be using them for all my future long range
That's outstanding performance. Who is the barrel manufacturer?

I've been alot of 7saum popping up here lately.

It is their Range Boss. I'm in Houston and I'm thinking of trying to check them out but need a reason to drive 3 hours lol.
How well can you shoot them MOA wise?

The 7saum definitely is going through a resurgence! This one is an ultralight built off the anTi-- should finish around 7.25lbs (with scope)

The fact that they are 'only' 3 hrs away should be reason enough!! Come put your hands on the components, check out the rifles in the shop and make sure everything is designed exactly how you want it.

The 338RUM is a hammer- 250gr LRX factory ammo-- 6 rounds to zero and then right to 400, 600 and then 800 yards. The 22cm has digested 5 different bullet weights (75-95gr) all under 1/2 moa-- and when that rifle was an APR 22/250ai it shot 15 rounds of factory ammo under 1" during fireforming. The 6cm is showing the same promise-- initial zero and then three different bullets all hovering around 1/2" @ 100 yards.

I should add they re-worked a 300NM that I bought used and the first group was .2"-- however, that rifle was right handed and I ended up trading it off.

The 7saum definitely is going through a resurgence! This one is an ultralight built off the anTi-- should finish around 7.25lbs (with scope)

The fact that they are 'only' 3 hrs away should be reason enough!! Come put your hands on the components, check out the rifles in the shop and make sure everything is designed exactly how you want it.

The 338RUM is a hammer- 250gr LRX factory ammo-- 6 rounds to zero and then right to 400, 600 and then 800 yards. The 22cm has digested 5 different bullet weights (75-95gr) all under 1/2 moa-- and when that rifle was an APR 22/250ai it shot 15 rounds of factory ammo under 1" during fireforming. The 6cm is showing the same promise-- initial zero and then three different bullets all hovering around 1/2" @ 100 yards.

I should add they re-worked a 300NM that I bought used and the first group was .2"-- however, that rifle was right handed and I ended up trading it off.
Compared to wat I'm looking to get built that's litterly under half the weight haha.

I assume the 22cm is all hand load correct?

.2in with a 30 cal is absurd......ly accurate.

I was reading an article on the .300 prc how the tolerances are at .0008 for it. For the lands how fast do they wear?
I think that's really going to depend on what powder you're using, how much powder, how long between shots and also if you are using a barrel cooler/fan. I only have about 400 rounds through my current barrel, but I'm guessing I'll start seeing some diminishing performance around 1,500 rounds.

I think that's really going to depend on what powder you're using, how much powder, how long between shots and also if you are using a barrel cooler/fan. I only have about 400 rounds through my current barrel, but I'm guessing I'll start seeing some diminishing performance around 1,500 rounds.
I don't reload. Yet. It's highly unlikely that I'll find used reloading stuff right now. After this rifle. And new truck and another purchase. It maybe another year or 2.

I think 1500 is expected for most or all guns sending stuff down range over 3k fps.

Reactions: PRCdude
Am I making a good choice on using Alamo Precision Rifle for my ELR? I want a TX company. They are always first in my mind. Is there another company I should look at?
This is the rifle has to be specs.
.300 norma
30in. 28 if can't get 30
Macmillan A5.
Defiance Deviant tactical 20 moa left hand
Trigger tech diamond
A muzzle brake that really helps keep it flat shooting.
I think you have made an excellent choice to go with Alamo. I "think" I can speak from experience on your particular build.

I am currently running a 300NM, 30" Bartlein Barrel, Surgeon XL, JE Allen Chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond and a T4Terminator Brake. All the gunsmith work has been done by Alamo Precision Rifles. I should mention I am on my 3rd 300 NM barrel for this setup from them, and all 3 of them have shot incredibly well. Also, on this set up I run 338LM (3 barrels by Alamo) and 33XC (1 barrel by Alamo).

My current load is at 3085fps with Hornady 230g ATIPs and an SD of 3.5. The accuracy is incredible. It will shoot to whatever my ability is for that day. I have shot 1/4" groups with it, but I am a more consistent 3/8" to 1/2" shooter on most days.

I compete with them, and run hot loads in 10 shot strings, so I typically start to see velocity loss at 1200 rounds or so.

I am also having them build me another rifle, that should be done in the next couple of weeks. A rifle that I plan on giving my brother.
Specs are:
Defiance Deviant Tactical 20moa, with 2 bolts. One with .540 and one with .585
Current barrel being put on is MullerWorks 30" for 300NM
Mcmillan A6
Trigger Tech Diamond
Terminator T4 brake

Robert Waggoner at Alamo is extremely passionate and knowledgeable about ELR, and a fierce competitor. I am confident he can and will deliver you the 300NM you are desiring.

I think you have made an excellent choice to go with Alamo. I "think" I can speak from experience on your particular build.

I am currently running a 300NM, 30" Bartlein Barrel, Surgeon XL, JE Allen Chassis, Trigger Tech Diamond and a T4Terminator Brake. All the gunsmith work has been done by Alamo Precision Rifles. I should mention I am on my 3rd 300 NM barrel for this setup from them, and all 3 of them have shot incredibly well. Also, on this set up I run 338LM (3 barrels by Alamo) and 33XC (1 barrel by Alamo).

My current load is at 3085fps with Hornady 230g ATIPs and an SD of 3.5. The accuracy is incredible. It will shoot to whatever my ability is for that day. I have shot 1/4" groups with it, but I am a more consistent 3/8" to 1/2" shooter on most days.

I compete with them, and run hot loads in 10 shot strings, so I typically start to see velocity loss at 1200 rounds or so.

I am also having them build me another rifle, that should be done in the next couple of weeks. A rifle that I plan on giving my brother.
Specs are:
Defiance Deviant Tactical 20moa, with 2 bolts. One with .540 and one with .585
Current barrel being put on is MullerWorks 30" for 300NM
Mcmillan A6
Trigger Tech Diamond
Terminator T4 brake

Robert Waggoner at Alamo is extremely passionate and knowledgeable about ELR, and a fierce competitor. I am confident he can and will deliver you the 300NM you are desiring.
omg yes a 30in from Bartlein barrel. 3/8 to 1/2 is what I am hoping to see I know 1/4 can be done but when it does it a all the stars align thing.
Velocity loss I've never heard of that.? I've only heard of accuracy/consistently loss.

I spoke with then they wanted to do a area 419 sidewinder brake. I've heard of T4 but I don't know much about either.

Is Robert W. A builder for them? Or what may he be?

@MrRedFox13 at around 1200 rounds for me (others may get more or less) the throat erosion and fire cracking is so bad, I start losing velocity. And yes the accuracy and consistency goes out as well.

I have ran a couple of barrels with the Area 419 Sidewinder brake as well, it is an excellent brake. I would be comfortable running either one.

Robert is one of the owners of APR, and a very competent builder as well.

If you do happen to build a 300NM with APR, and need any help at all once you start reloading, I'd be happy to help you get started. 300NM is one of the calibers that has a substantial cost savings to reload. Before the powder shortage, my initial cost to load with Lapua brass and Berger 230g Hybrid was $2.69 per round. Dropped to $1.27 after 5 firings and $1.06 after 12 firings. Current price for Berger Ammo is $138 for 20...or $6.90 per round.

@MrRedFox13 at around 1200 rounds for me (others may get more or less) the throat erosion and fire cracking is so bad, I start losing velocity. And yes the accuracy and consistency goes out as well.

I have ran a couple of barrels with the Area 419 Sidewinder brake as well, it is an excellent brake. I would be comfortable running either one.

Robert is one of the owners of APR, and a very competent builder as well.

If you do happen to build a 300NM with APR, and need any help at all once you start reloading, I'd be happy to help you get started. 300NM is one of the calibers that has a substantial cost savings to reload. Before the powder shortage, my initial cost to load with Lapua brass and Berger 230g Hybrid was $2.69 per round. Dropped to $1.27 after 5 firings and $1.06 after 12 firings. Current price for Berger Ammo is $138 for 20...or $6.90 per round.
What is fire cracking?

Good I hope the blast coming out the side is still packs a punch tho haha.

I'm like this Robert already lol

As of right now I do not reload. I'm always looking for a single stage hornady. Last time I reloaded was like 11-12 years ago with my dad. All I did was pour the lead and pull the lever to seat some 45LC. Lol idk what I really even need after press, dies, and powder measure. 🙃

What is fire cracking?

Good I hope the blast coming out the side is still packs a punch tho haha.

I'm like this Robert already lol

As of right now I do not reload. I'm always looking for a single stage hornady. Last time I reloaded was like 11-12 years ago with my dad. All I did was pour the lead and pull the lever to seat some 45LC. Lol idk what I really even need after press, dies, and powder measure. 🙃
You will definitely want to start reloading if you want consistent impacts at ELR ranges. My last outing with factory hornady 225g eldm's had an ES of 111 fps and STD of 20 (from labradar). At 1,500 yards that bullet has approximately 50-60" vertical spread. So even if you do everything right it's really the bullet deciding if you get an impact or not.

You will definitely want to start reloading if you want consistent impacts at ELR ranges. My last outing with factory hornady 225g eldm's had an ES of 111 fps and STD of 20 (from labradar). At 1,500 yards that bullet has approximately 50-60" vertical spread. So even if you do everything right it's really the bullet deciding if you get an impact or not.
Wait wait 20-110 fps will cause 50-60in of vertical spread? (Yes I'm new to ERL all I know is youtube haha)

Hi,

To help you "see" what he is referring to; spend a little time in https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi and manipulate the MV by 50fps, then 60fps, etc etc and see the elevation and windage differences.

BUT to not scare you aware from 300NM just yet...The Berger factory ammunition with 215gr projectiles are really good for factory ammo.

Sincerely,
Theis

@MrRedFox13 .... that is correct. This past weekend at 1500 yards, my elevation was 10.6 mils.
IF, it was 100 fps slower, it would take 11.6 mils. There is 3.6 inches per mil at 100 yds. So at 1500 yard that would be 54"

What @6.5PRCdude, was letting you know was... if your velocities have that much spread, your vertical spread will show equally down range.

Would definitely agree with @THEIS . The Berger ammunition is top shelf. I have personal experience with both the 215g and the 230g variants. Both of them perform extremely well, and you have to be a pretty proficient reloader to produce a better round.

Hi,

To help you "see" what he is referring to; spend a little time in https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi and manipulate the MV by 50fps, then 60fps, etc etc and see the elevation and windage differences.

BUT to not scare you aware from 300NM just yet...The Berger factory ammunition with 215gr projectiles are really good for factory ammo.

Sincerely,
Theis
Thank you, I will definitely check in to this.

And its not going to scare me away. From what I've seen the Berger is like top tier.

Would definitely agree with @THEIS . The Berger ammunition is top shelf. I have personal experience with both the 215g and the 230g variants. Both of them perform extremely well, and you have to be a pretty proficient reloader to produce a better round.
Wouldn't you be able able to take the velocity with that particular bullet and increase or decrease it some to help *resonate* with your rifle? For possible better load.

Congrats on setting the new record! Great shooting. What are the specs on your 375?

Thank you!
375 CT running Cutting Edge 400 gr lazers
Stiller Tac 408
K&P barrel
Terminator T5 brake
Jewell Trigger
McMillan Beast

Thank you!
375 CT running Cutting Edge 400 gr lazers
Stiller Tac 408
K&P barrel
Terminator T5 brake
Jewell Trigger
McMillan Beast
Nice setup! What barrel length and twist? (I'm planning an almost identical build that I'll have Alamo do for me).

APR built me a Ranger in 300 prc last year. Good customer service, and a sturdy beautiful rifle when it was done.

I highly recommend them.