• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Alaska Bear Hunt

h4everything

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
OK
I was lucky enough to just get back from a 10 day bear hunt in Alaska. I hunted in Unit 16B right on the west side of the Cook Inlet. We spent a total of 10 days in the bush and had one of the best hunts of my life.

We had 2 different camps. The first camp was about 8 miles inland on river. There was some old bear sign but in 5 days and about 35-40 miles we didn't see any fresh sign. We even went far enough that we had to stay out all night to try and be able to catch some bears on the salmon stream. It was cold that night. It was really pretty though. Very hard to sleep hearing the salmon splash through the water all night long, and it was cold trying to nap in the wet grass. We didn't see anything there and found out the next morning when a helicopter landed and dropped people off for fishing best we could tell.

The next day we hiked back and broke down camp and moved to a camp right on the inlet. The next morning I was able to get a good stalk on my 8' brown bear sow and put her down with my 375 ruger. She was really tough and took 4 shots. We were able to anchor her and she didn't run at all. Shot her at 210 yards kneeling with 260 gr accubond over 70 grs H414.

She had some monster claws almost 4 inches long. That is a 375 ruger shell on her foot

She was pretty old, broken canine teeth and really worn front teeth.

The pack out. I just had a lightly framed Cabelas pack that worked great on the hunt. It was just big enough to do what I needed to do but if the pack had been more than a mile I would have wanted a heavier duty frame pack. I'm guessing the hide and head was about 75-80 lbs.

Worked pretty good on the black bear too.

Had a couple of really excited stalks that same day and the next day for a brown bear for my buddy, but the wind kept switching at the wrong time and screwed us every time. It was pretty tough. All worth it though as the thrill was pretty exciting.

The next day though we were lucky enough to get on our black bears. We wear able to get 2 nice 6 1/2' to 7' black bears. I was able to stalk within 175 yard of mine and planted him with 1 high shoulder shot from my 375. It was one of perfect shots where I never lost view in the scope and watched it crumble.

After spending time up there I have come to a few realizations.

1. Alaska is beautiful.

2. Supercubs are awesome, the 4 wheeler of Alaska.

3. A good guide is essential to success. Our guide John Gray did as good of a job as possible. He was a great guy to be around and I will be booking more hunts with him for sure

Congratulations on a successful hunt! Hard to imagine that bear taking 4 shots from a 375 Ruger damn!

Congratulation on a great hunt, sounds exciting and looks like you have a very good time. Thanks for sharing the pics...beautiful country and bears.

So awesome. Congratulations. I spent 10 days up around Cooper Landing a few years ago, fishing, duck and grouse hunting. Alaska is one of the few places remaining on earth that reminds you we are not always on the top of the food chain.

Coworker left last night to guide a brown bear hunt up in interior BC. Sounds like the hunt of a lifetime!

Nice pics. Thanks for the report.

But why were you, as you said in the opening line, 'lucky enough to just get back' from the hunt? I read the entire post expecting some hair-raising story.

Congrats, nice bears you got there. I wish my wife were willing to move back.

The next day we hiked back and broke down camp and moved to a camp right on the inlet. The next morning I was able to get a good stalk on my 8' brown bear sow and put her down with my 375 ruger. She was really tough and took 4 shots. We were able to anchor her and she didn't run at all. Shot her at 210 yards kneeling with 260 gr accubond over 70 grs H414.

Congratulations!

One question: 70 grs of H414 seems awfully light for Ruger 375 with 260 gr bullet. It should be able to take easily up to 80gr with that bullet weight. Have you ever chronographed that load? Hard to guess now, but maybe it wouldn't take 4 shots if loads were more a bit more potent?

But why were you, as you said in the opening line, 'lucky enough to just get back' from the hunt? I read the entire post expecting some hair-raising story.

DSC01236_zpsc9e349e9.jpg

UFO's & bears… I'd feel lucky too…

First rule of Graham must be nick picking bullshit 24/7. +1 to my stfu list :)

Great looking bears & nice shooting, OP

Congratulations!

One question: 70 grs of H414 seems awfully light for Ruger 375 with 260 gr bullet. It should be able to take easily up to 80gr with that bullet weight. Have you ever chronographed that load? Hard to guess now, but maybe it wouldn't take 4 shots if loads were more a bit more potent?

maybe it was 74 grains. I never shot it over a chrono but the holdovers we decently close to the 270 grain factory load. it still kicked like an absolute bastard (more than one person agrees with me on that) and the bullets were still going all the way through the bear so I don't think that it mattered.

I was disappointed we didn't get into any wolves. The area I was in gets hunted from the air pretty heavily with an airplane. the $500 hides get chased pretty hard.

Congratulations!

maybe it was 74 grains. I never shot it over a chrono but the holdovers we decently close to the 270 grain factory load. it still kicked like an absolute bastard (more than one person agrees with me on that) and the bullets were still going all the way through the bear so I don't think that it mattered.

I was disappointed we didn't get into any wolves. The area I was in gets hunted from the air pretty heavily with an airplane. the $500 hides get chased pretty hard.

If they were all pass-throughs then it didn't matter. It's scary though that it took 4 shots. Imagine if she were closer and you needed to stop her.

By the way, I think I just ordered a few days ago the same gun as you have in the photos, black laminate, stainless, with 23" barrel. I was about to get Ruger Guide Gun, when i accidentally saw that one at prophetriver, and liked it much better due to absence of muzzle break / threads (complicates cleaning and wouldn't use it anyway), longer barrel (23" vs 20"), and what looks to me like a better looking stock. I hope it's as beautiful as it looks on the pictures, will find out in a few days. Apparently Ruger didn't make many of those.

She wasn't going anywhere after the first shot but still had some fight left in her.

I'm real happy with that ruger. Got it online and I think it had been sitting in a warehouse for years. It a sweet little 20" bbl and shoots 1" groups at a hundred of you don't flinch to bad.

I'm real happy with that ruger. Got it online and I think it had been sitting in a warehouse for years. It a sweet little 20" bbl and shoots 1" groups at a hundred of you don't flinch to bad.

The one I ordered has a 23" barrel, but otherwise looks the same. I tested it on the range today over chronograph with Barnes 270 TSX bullets, first with 78gr of H414 and then 80gr of H414. Both loads returned around 2750 ft/s (the only 78gr load I tested was fired first, followed by three 80gr shots), and I was surprised that additional 2 grains did not seem to make much difference in velocity at all.

No pressure signs at all, but you are right, it kicks a lot, comparable to 3" magnum turkey loads from a non-semi-auto shotgun, possibly even stronger.