• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alaskan Meat Gatherer

ADT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Central Texas
I have been looking for a rifle that would be my main go to gun in Alaska. It needs to have iron sights, be a common caliber such as .300 Win Mag, and be able to take down game like Moose and bear if needed. I would prefer a bolt action, but single shots are fine.

Re: Alaskan Meat Gatherer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marlin 1894CB in 45-70

26" barrel, balances well, and should put down whatever you want to with no problem out to a few hundred yards. </div></div>

Stole my answer.

300 WM, is good, I favor the 338 WM. Ammo is everywhere up here. Brown Bear...dead. Moose....dead. Kills everything

Nothing wrong with the 338 either. Although it can be a little robust for sheep and caribou. That being said, do "I" have a 338wm, YES I DO.
smile.gif

Alaskan meat getters huh: Been there, done that.

I went to Alaska in 72, worked for the railroad in the summer and was laid off in the winter. Lived in a little 12 X 18 cabin about 3 miles north of Healy, no electricty, no running water. Had a wife and two young toddlers. Nearest major town was Fairbanks, 112 miles north.

I had several rifles, but my go to rifle, that kept my family fed was a little Savage 24E, 22/410. That and my light spinning real, fish are plentiful even in the winter.

Forget about living off bears and moose, ain't gonna happen. Tons of show shoe hairs and ptarmigan. When winter sets in the water levels drop, so you'll have open water in small streams and lots of trout and grayling.

This ain't the 1800s, forget about large game, its the small stuff that will keep your belly full.

Since you're shooting iron sights, a real flat trajectory is not required.

Marlin 1895 in 45-70 (especially the 22 or 26") with handloads would be a fine choice.

OR

30/06 CRF Bolt Action with tough 180gr bullets. Ammo anywhere they sell ammo.

If you want serious bear protection, then a .338Win Mag in lieu of the 30/06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alaskan meat getters huh: Been there, done that.

I went to Alaska in 72, worked for the railroad in the summer and was laid off in the winter. Lived in a little 12 X 18 cabin about 3 miles north of Healy, no electricty, no running water. Had a wife and two young toddlers. Nearest major town was Fairbanks, 112 miles north.

I had several rifles, but my go to rifle, that kept my family fed was a little Savage 24E, 22/410. That and my light spinning real, fish are plentiful even in the winter.

Forget about living off bears and moose, ain't gonna happen. Tons of show shoe hairs and ptarmigan. When winter sets in the water levels drop, so you'll have open water in small streams and lots of trout and grayling.

This ain't the 1800s, forget about large game, its the small stuff that will keep your belly full. </div></div> Sounds like the dream, I have always wanted to buy OTC land and build a small cabin, or apply for Cabin staking, and live a substinence life. I also have wanted to visit the bus near Healy, that McCandless died in. But I do have a Rossi .22/.410 combo that I would definetly bring for the small critters. Bring a 12 gauge. And probably a .300 win mag but gentlemen I'm looking more for specific brands and models not calibers, that's always an endless discussion as we all know
laugh.gif
But what peaked my interest but all good things can't be true is this Tikka Battue Light but unfortunatly it's unavailable in the US of A http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?battuelite or this Sako Black Bear http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?black_bear And as far as not living off of moose I would like to hear more about that? Thanks

If I was to do it again (and at 63, no way in hell), I'd rely on my Savage 24 again. Yeah, I'd want a heavy rifle (caliber of your choice) but I'd go strickly for the Winchester Model 70. Feahterweight would be be my top choice. But like I said its gonna be the 22/410 that gets you buy. I did a bit of trapping to pay for flour, coffee, and other staples. First winter was the worse, spent most of my time cutting wood. Second winter I got smart and put in a coal stove. Lots of coal in the Healy/Lignite area). I traded for a german shephard pup, sucker became attached to my kids and stuck to them like glue.

You don't have to go to far for rabbits, ptargiman and fish. I did hunt moose. Last one I shot while living in Lignite took me three days to get back to the boat so I could get it home. You have to hang it up, and it freezes so hard you have to cut steaks with a chain saw.

No matter how cold, the dog wouldnt come in the cabin, slept right out side the door. Comforting not to have to worry about kids when you are away.

Another thing, ever try to short block a ford puck up with its 40 below, two foot of snow and no shop. And people wonder why I'm lazy today.

By the second winter I joined the NG. Them days weekend drills didn't pay much but helped a lot. Had to hitch hike to Anchorage (248 Miles) to drill. Brought back C-rats which helped a bit. Brought home a pair of army slates (the old heavy wooden skis). Made it easier skiing up and down the Nenana River setting snares for coyotes. Again thats where the Savage 24 came in handy.

It was an experience, don't think I'd do it again, especially with a young family. We did our AT in the winter, I took my family to the guest house on Elemdorf for the two weeks, thats when the wife dicided we should move to town, so in 74 I went to work for the Anchorage PD. Retiring in 94 and beat feet back to Wyoming and never looked back.

That shit's for the young kids.

CZ makes the 550 in a kevlar stock chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, and 9.3x62

i like 30-06 because you can load them to take damn near anything down and you can find ammo for it just about anywhere.

9.3x62 would be interesting. ammo is plentiful, but 230-290 gr moving at 2400-2800 FPS would have some serious knockdown power.

Kraig I did look at land in Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming but in these states I feel I would want to purchase at least 20 or so acres. Where as in Alaska where there is public huntable land remotely close anywhere, I would only have to purchase maybe 5 acres seeing as how that's what the OTC lots are usually sized, to build a cabin on.

I definetly would take advantage of the fishing. I remember reading that 95% of rural households consume subsistence-caught fish, according to the state.

But I was asking about the Moose, because I always heard that a Moose would get you through a winter. But about 44 million pounds of wild foods are taken annually by residents of rural Alaska, or about 375 pounds per person per year. And with that number I figure a cleaned and gutted Moose yields about 300 pounds of meat.

Alaska is big, but most of the land is owned by the Fed & State Government or Natives. What land that is available for sale is gonna be pricey as hell. I owned my cabin, but not the land. I was squating on Rail Road land. There are few roads and that's where the people are. That's where the general population hunt, that's where big game is scarce. The limitations they have on moose now days, (antler length & such) makes it rough.

True, lots of "wild game" is consummed per year in Alaska. What that doesn't tell you is how much of that game is consumed by the native population, then that is mostly sea manuals. I was a company commander in a Native Guard Unit in the Nome area and spent a lot of time with the natives. They hunt walrus, seals, whales, etc. They don't have the same rules non-natives have.

Big game hunting in Alaska not for the average person. You need a plane or hire someone. Moose are big, they should last all winter......in theory. If living like I mentioned you are gonna get a lot of waste from freezer burn (because you don't have a freezer). Plus critters are gonna find their way into your cashe and you're gonna have much more waste.

Sorry to say, but the old ways are gone.

It could still be done. It wont be easy, one would want to squat on who-evers land (state or fed, not Native land). Do it on one of the rivers, Yukon, Tanana, or so) at least 50 miles from any major village and the government will probably leave you alone. But as I said, you'll live off small game and fish more then moose.

Things have changed, it was a lot differant when I got to Alaska in 72 and when I left in 94, its a lot differant now. Not many more roads, but lots more people.

I believe you'd have better luck in one of the other states you mentioned. Take where I live. You can legally get an Elk, several deer and antilope. You don't need a lot of land. There is tons of federal lands open to hunting. Lots of small game also. Not to mention its cheaper to live. In lots of areas of Wyoming there is coal. Way things are looking cheap heat is gonna come in handy. At least here you can use a horse for hunting instead like Alaska where you tramp through muskeg sucking no-see-ums in with ever breath.

Not trying to be discouraging, just honest. If it was the 50s or 60s I'd say go for it, but now??????????

Yeah, Wyoming does look quite tempting with the laws you have been passing lately. Like you guys have a hunting, fishing, and trapping amendment. I do see a lot of problems with Alaska. As where my needs could still be satisfied in Montana or Wyoming. You mentioning the elk and several deer and antelope, makes me think that that is plenty of meat. Here is the important topic though, where would you suggest looking for land that is close to huntable public land, preferably no utilities and no road access, and water access of some sort. Thanks again Kraig

I've lived in the bush for quite a while and am going to continue to be here. If you would like to chat about the land access and availability issues up here as well as subsistence, I'd be happy to chat or pm about specifics with you. Drop me a pm if your interested. I'm located more than 180 river miles from any road system and am completely isolated 3-4 months a year depending upon river freeze/thaw conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking for a rifle that would be my main go to gun in Alaska. It needs to have iron sights, be a common caliber such as .300 Win Mag, and be able to take down game like Moose and bear if needed. I would prefer a bolt action, but single shots are fine. </div></div>

SAKO 85 Kodiak
Alaska Fish and Game

Just about anywhere. Best to take a vacation and drive around the state looking for what suites you.

Electricty is nice, you don't have to use it, but its nice if you do. Water in Wyoming is iffy in many places. I live 10 miles from town and haul my water in a 450 gal tank I put in a cystrum. I live a mile from the highway and lots of times its an effert to get out. You're gonna have to have some sort of tractor or snow plow. Snow plows on trucks work most of the time but with heavy wet spring snows you need a loader.

You want close to tember for fire wood, better yet pick a spot close to coal, lots of coal in Wyoming. Horse are nice because if you ever get turned around in the mountains (and you will if you spend any time there) just let them have their head, they will take you back to the house or camp, safely.

Remember a happy wife means a happy life. Mine is the best there is but still I want her warm and comfortable. When I send her to town I want her in a safe vehicle I know will bring her back. If she is happy, I eat.

Besides you're gonna get old like me someday. The greatest pleasure I have in my life now is chasing my granddaughter all over the state to her vollyball and basketball games. Every girl on her team calls me Grandpa. I woudnt give that up for the world.

If it were I, I would take the familys 375 Ackley Improved. You can still run factory 375 H&H, it just comes out fireformed. The 375 is in a Remington 700. I would have the whole thing coated with something, it has iron sights, and a 1.5-5X scope. It has taken 1 big Brown Bear, a Moose, and several Cariboo in AK, and a 2 Buffalo in MT. Everything hit the deck with one shot. Just sayin, can't beat that track record. JPG

I chose the 375 H&H. Way more useful than the 45-70 in my opinion. All my deer to bear size game gets killed with this rifle. Anything smaller gets either the 10/22 rifle or the Mark 1 pistol both 22lr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ makes the 550 in a kevlar stock chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, and 9.3x62

i like 30-06 because you can load them to take damn near anything down and you can find ammo for it just about anywhere.

9.3x62 would be interesting. ammo is plentiful, but 230-290 gr moving at 2400-2800 FPS would have some serious knockdown power.
</div></div>

I'm sorry for being a butt here, but have you ever been to a place like Nome, Bethel or Dillingham?
I'll bet you my new sled that none of these places have 9.3x62. Come on people, how many of you ever hunted up here? If you are being guided, good chance you are. he is going to tell you to bring one of 3 rifles, 300 WM, 338 WM 375 HH. If your doing sheep or Caribou, you can do a 7mag, but guess what, there are big brown VW bugs out there that can eat you! It's not that a 7mm won't kill a bear, but it's not the best to stop a bear, and thats what it's all about! Rant over, for now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking for a rifle that would be my main go to gun in Alaska. It needs to have iron sights, be a common caliber such as .300 Win Mag, and be able to take down game like Moose and bear if needed. I would prefer a bolt action, but single shots are fine. </div></div>

Are you transplanting up or visiting?
Living off the land or hunting stick?

I recommend Tikka T3 SS or T3 SL SS in either 338win / 300win / 30.06. 338/300/30.06 commercial loaded ammo is just about everywhere. Rifle is one of the lightest avail out of a box with the SL half pound or so lighter only comes in 300win and .06, this is not local hunting by your rig you will pack your rifle. Good trigger, accurate, smooth action made by Sako.

#2 would be Remington 700 SPS SS in same calibers.

#2.5 would be Savage weatherproof.

#3 Winchester SS weatherproof.

#4 Browning X bolt weather proof.

I hunted decades and has many Alaskans with a blued wood rifle. Hunted in canoe, by the water, inland, up high, blue wood never failed to hit where I wanted, never rusted but my 10/22 from 1965 has but has seen more abuse. I still prefer blue wood as classic looks but your rifle will take a beating.

You do not need magnum power, I have been to sighting in days and witnesses just how many shooters can handle .338, 375, 416 and such. I hunted for decades with Wby MrkV light weight 340Wby with Luepy FX3x power scope, real hell bender on both ends. As time went, way too much pop on the recoil end for me to handle. The story goes with Alaskan magnumitise, hit him dead in the boiler room with 270gr 375HH and that moose just kept on walking, 416 for me. Plus, more weight to carry up and down and up and down and up and silt, more silt, scree, 2500 feet of scree just on this slope and more to come, wet greasy bowling balls, unless you have actually put boot prints in Alaska it cannot be explained.

According to F&G statistics, 30.06 is used by 36% of all Alaskan hunters. Using 220gr bullets, 06 is more manageable in the recoil yet will tip over even mean ol nasty booboo. I have not hunted bears for quite some time, no use, just a meat guy. 243Win tips over plenty of large meat animals every fall in Alaska.

As far as homestead, still done today but is not what it is was. And it is not what many think it is until they wear the boots. Over on the Penn is where I understand most of the land give away (its not free) is right now or was last time I checked but really have not paid any attention to it. Some of my distant family have actually tried true homesteading. Do not think any of them still do, live in the bush but not true homesteading.

I really don't know why people think they have to use big guns in Alaska. Go to the villages, you're gonna find 220 Swifts, 270s, 30-06.
The 375 H&H is popular, as is the 338 WM. but if you go to the viliages you'll find more 222 Rem (probably 223s now) then either of the two heavy magnums.

I just landed in Savoonga (St Lawrence Island) in time to see one kid shoot a polar bear at the edge of town with a 220 Swift. I was Teller, were they have moose, 223s were common (natives like 223s, they get ammo from the Guard). It isnt because Natives are such great shots, they aint. I know I've trained then for many years. No better then then anyone else.

Here is another hint. Bears don't eat as many people as people on these web sites think. A cow moose is much more dangerous. There is nothing more dangerous then a cow moose with a calf at her side. The problem with moose is they hang around towns where bears don't. I've killed several who got into disputes with cars on the streets of Anchorage with a 357.

They arn't a tough animal but they are fast, you need to be fast. They are fast when injured and pissed. Rifles arn't fast when you consider you don't carry them when taking the trash our or retrieving your morning newspaper.

I've shoot this guy with a 4 in Model 28. He had crashed into a van, he got pissed and started chasing cars into the ditch during rush hour between Anchorage and Eagle River. I got him as he started after my police car. (guess he didnt like my blue and red lights).

IMG_NEW.jpg

If I was to ever live there again, I'd want my Model 70 Featherweight in 270 and my Savage 24-E 22/410.

The biggest animal-people problem in Alaska is moose-vehicle encounters. Come winter, they get lazy like us people, they used the plowed roads to travel instead of the deep snow in the brush.

But I moved south. Instead of a 357 on my hip I have a 642 in my pocket. Most of my hunting is with a 257 Roberts, unless I'm elk hunting then its my 270.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ makes the 550 in a kevlar stock chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, and 9.3x62

</div></div>

i meant to say ammo <span style="font-weight: bold">is not </span>plentiful. sorry for the confussion. can everyone calm down now?

Here is another hint. Bears don't eat as many people as people on these web sites think.

Your right, they won't eat you, but the will be sitting on your gut pile..oops I mean their gut pile when you come back to get another hind quarter. I will agree with you that the smaller cal will work fine, I have killed moose with a 243, but keep this in mind, it's his first trip, likely his first moose, a 243 is going to make that moose head right for the first alder patch. Then his guide is now pissed. I do know for a fact, when the natives shoot something with their 223 and it goes into alder patches, they don't like to follow. Your spending upwards of 10 to 15k for a guided moose hunt, use the right stick.

As 45 308 said, forget the blue rifle, SS with a plastic stock. Wood is pretty, but not after 10 days out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just about anywhere. Best to take a vacation and drive around the state looking for what suites you.

Electricty is nice, you don't have to use it, but its nice if you do. Water in Wyoming is iffy in many places. I live 10 miles from town and haul my water in a 450 gal tank I put in a cystrum. I live a mile from the highway and lots of times its an effert to get out. You're gonna have to have some sort of tractor or snow plow. Snow plows on trucks work most of the time but with heavy wet spring snows you need a loader.

You want close to tember for fire wood, better yet pick a spot close to coal, lots of coal in Wyoming. Horse are nice because if you ever get turned around in the mountains (and you will if you spend any time there) just let them have their head, they will take you back to the house or camp, safely.

Remember a happy wife means a happy life. Mine is the best there is but still I want her warm and comfortable. When I send her to town I want her in a safe vehicle I know will bring her back. If she is happy, I eat.

Besides you're gonna get old like me someday. The greatest pleasure I have in my life now is chasing my granddaughter all over the state to her vollyball and basketball games. Every girl on her team calls me Grandpa. I woudnt give that up for the world. </div></div>
Where out in Wyoming are you? I've got about 7 years before my retirement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where out in Wyoming are you?</div></div>

NE Corner, 10 miles east of Newcastle on the SD border.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forget the blue rifle, SS with a plastic stock. Wood is pretty, but not after 10 days out there</div></div>

Thats not necessarly true. I use blued rifles and wood stocks been out much longer then 10 days. Spent better then 2 weeks on Afognak elk hunting. Rained ever day, fog, and wind blowing in the salt spray. I came away without a blimish on my Model 70. Every day, sometimes twice a day I would wipe it with "RIG", best stuff in the world.

No sir, I'll stick to my blued guns with wood stocsk, just need to know how to take care of them. Like anything else, you take care of them and they'll take care with you, and stay pretty, same for wives and guns.

Just a thought, but why iron sights? I understand you want something for short range, fine. But red dots were created for a reason and it wasn't long distance sniping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought, but why iron sights? I understand you want something for short range, fine. But red dots were created for a reason and it wasn't long distance sniping. </div></div>

I could see the reason being cold weather eating up batteries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where out in Wyoming are you?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forget the blue rifle, SS with a plastic stock. Wood is pretty, but not after 10 days out there</div></div>

Thats not necessarly true. I use blued rifles and wood stocks been out much longer then 10 days. Spent better then 2 weeks on Afognak elk hunting. Rained ever day, fog, and wind blowing in the salt spray. I came away without a blimish on my Model 70. Every day, sometimes twice a day I would wipe it with "RIG", best stuff in the world.

No sir, I'll stick to my blued guns with wood stocsk, just need to know how to take care of them. Like anything else, you take care of them and they'll take care with you, and stay pretty, same for wives and guns.
</div></div>

kraig, seems like you have lived quite the interesting life. I could sit and listen to your stories for hours. I've always felt I was born about 110 years late.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where out in Wyoming are you?</div></div>

</div></div>

kraig, seems like you have lived quite the interesting life. I could sit and listen to your stories for hours. I've always felt I was born about 110 years late. </div></div>

I'm with you on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought, but why iron sights? I understand you want something for short range, fine. But red dots were created for a reason and it wasn't long distance sniping. </div></div>

I could see the reason being cold weather eating up batteries. </div></div> If the scope had some malfunction, I would like to have the reassurance of iron sights. Wouldn't exactly want to go hiking in the middle of the winter back to town for a scope. Wouldn't exactly want to completely depend on a .22 for getting me through it either. Rather have it and not need it. Then not have it and need it.

Im not sure you realize what you are in for

1) Probably 90% of Alaska is not accessible by road. Major urban cities are for the most part, but it can easily be a hundred miles or more between cities
2) The vast majority of land in Alaska is not available for private ownership
3) It takes 1 year to establish residencey to hunt/fish in Alaska. Non resident fees are steep
4) I assume you are white. It takes a LOT of work to be accepted in the native communities as a non native. Don't plan on flying into a village and being welcomed with open arms.
5) Every year that damn bus causes people to get into trouble and require costly and dangerous evacuation. There is a reason that kid died, he was a fucking idiot.
6) Alaska is a harsh enviroment. Interior Alaska has the most dramatic temperature swings of anywhere in the world. We routinely will break low to mid 90's at some point in the summer and often exceed 50 degrees below zero in the winter. Spring brings 50 - 60 degree temperature swings in a 24 hour period. Plain and simple, if you are not prepared you can die. Even if you are prepared you can die.
7) Life in Alaska is expensive. Basic items like milk can top $10 a gallon in the hub bush communities and are not available in all communities (remember everything is flown in) Every year it seems some place declares an emergency because they run out of fuel and teh barges can't get it in and it must be flown in.
8) Don't count on the permament fund dividend as being a source of income for 2 years. The rules basically requrie you to be here for two years now, have made this your permanent home and plan on staying here before you recieve it.

If you really want to move here and live, PLEASE come up in the summer and winter months and make sure you know what you are getting into. For some its the greatest place in the world, for others its literraly hell frozen over.

Great responses by uafgrad and Alaskaman 11. I've watched a big brown bear soak up 7 shots from a 300wsm. Choose wisely and shoot straight.

All I can say is there is a misconception about Alaska due to many factors but its not what everyone sees on TV, reads in magazines and on the web. Visiting once or twice or even living a few years does not qualify to know and understand Alaska. This is the year 2011 and the 50 and 60s are long gone, 70s good, 80s not bad, 90s it all changed with Gov Tony kNOlwes and now what we have now. Hunting lands are shrinking. Many native corp have no trespassing and will try to give out tickets if you do not pay to play on their land.

Natives use very small calibers and cheap guns. 223 AR has become quite popular, 243 is still very popular and 204 is their seal gun. 30.30Win is the pot latch gun and is used. They do live off the land so to speak and get most of their food off the land.

Gun shops carry a very limited inventory of blue wood guns. I still believe wood blue works but the rifle will take a beating and while I dream of the old days, plastic SS is just the way now. Every year I saw broken stocks, smashed scopes, rust on blue and corrosion on SS from the salt spray.

The closer to town the bigger the gun gets. But, dealing with old booboo does take some respect. Like any animal, one will go lights out while another will seem like it got a mosquito bite. My cousin felled a blonde grizz, close to a Tolklat color with 22.250rem and it went lights out one shot, back up shot for insurance. He does all his meat hunting with the same rifle, 22.250 and hunts/lives true tier II.

Almost everyone in Alaska carries or believes 44Rem Mag has enough pop to stop ol booboo in a scare when that handgun cartridge has about the same penetrating power as 30.30win but no way they would use a 30.30 for a bear.

Like uafgrad states, Alaska is not the lower 49 and I have witness many arrive and leave soon once they realize Alaska is not what they thought, moose behind every tree, I am hooking salmon all day long, no people where ever you go, I can go see my family in the states easy, and my favorite I hear just about everytime someone finds out I am from Alaska, they pay you to live there.

Still the best state in the union but you have to understand Alaska.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure you realize what you are in for

1) Probably 90% of Alaska is not accessible by road. Major urban cities are for the most part, but it can easily be a hundred miles or more between cities
3) It takes 1 year to establish residencey to hunt/fish in Alaska. Non resident fees are steep
4) I assume you are white. It takes a LOT of work to be accepted in the native communities as a non native. Don't plan on flying into a village and being welcomed with open arms.
5) Every year that damn bus causes people to get into trouble and require costly and dangerous evacuation. There is a reason that kid died, he was a fucking idiot.
6) Alaska is a harsh enviroment. Interior Alaska has the most dramatic temperature swings of anywhere in the world. We routinely will break low to mid 90's at some point in the summer and often exceed 50 degrees below zero in the winter. Spring brings 50 - 60 degree temperature swings in a 24 hour period. Plain and simple, if you are not prepared you can die. Even if you are prepared you can die.
7) Life in Alaska is expensive. Basic items like milk can top $10 a gallon in the hub bush communities and are not available in all communities (remember everything is flown in) Every year it seems some place declares an emergency because they run out of fuel and teh barges can't get it in and it must be flown in.
8) Don't count on the permament fund dividend as being a source of income for 2 years. The rules basically requrie you to be here for two years now, have made this your permanent home and plan on staying here before you recieve it.

If you really want to move here and live, PLEASE come up in the summer and winter months and make sure you know what you are getting into. For some its the greatest place in the world, for others its literraly hell frozen over. </div></div>
1-4. I'm fully aware of this
5. While he did make very stupid decisions I still have some respect for him.
6-8. Also informed
Thanks though, anything else?

Alaska- Boom or bust pretty well sums it up. Salmon here like crazy for a couple months, then nothing in the rivers for the rest of the year. Literally nothing. Deer all over town right now, but in August when hunting season opens, you had better plan on climbing mountains. Not the mountains anywhere close to town either, as far away from civilization as you can get. Piles of salmonberries to eat late July, 5 gallon buckets full! Problem is that's when the fishing is hot so you don't want to waste your time with berries. Halibut are one after another until your arms ache in the summer. Right now, they are about 1000 ft deep. Can't rod and reel em right now. Summer weather is great for about a month or two like July/ August, then the firewood starts getting burned again.
Don't get me wrong, I am literally living the dream. Lots of subsistance meat in my freezer, retired at 35 years old other than charter fishing. But it is HARD living and hard on the body and sometimes on the mind. Alaska is in my opinion the greatest place in the US. I have learned that I absolutely hate being rained on every day for a month, I hate being chased around a tree by a big brown bear, and I hate 6 hours of daylight the whole miserable month of December.

... and the #1 reason Rico won't live in Alaska?

I hate fish... love to catch, hate the taste... LOL!

After reading each and every post... I regret not going north (A) when I had the chance... And (B) when I still had the ability. Looking forward to another visit hopefully this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not sure you realize what you are in for

If you really want to move here and live, PLEASE come up in the summer and winter months and make sure you know what you are getting into. For some its the greatest place in the world, for others its literraly hell frozen over. </div></div>
1-4. I'm fully aware of this
5. While he did make very stupid decisions I still have some respect for him.
6-8. Also informed
Thanks though, anything else? </div></div>

Im curious what your respect is for?
Some kid had a misguided sense of adventure, didn't know shit, and died because he wasn't smart enough to, at a minimum prepare for what awaited him.
Around here we call it natural selection and it happens on a fairly regular basis