• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing alfalfa pellets

colscar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
texas
has any one tried using alfalfa pellets as deer feed, ive tried all the brands at the store and none of the attractants seem to work as good as i hoped .... i have been feeding since august, using apple scented corn , placed a couple of mineral plots and licking blocks so far all i have gotten on the game cameras are two does and a four pointer that is to small to take......a friend told me to use alfalfa pellets that they go crazy for it any experience using these pellets?

can't speak for pellets, but they love alfalfa bails, I drop a bail about once a months and they finish it in about 2 days

My experience has been that regardless of what you put in your feeder, you will always see a few deer hitting it. But, when there is plenty of native food for them to eat you don't see that many. I don't know where you hunt but where I am there is an even carpet of live oak and post oak acorns on the ground right now. Even the hogs can't keep up with the acorn production. Hunting has been slow as a result, although I got lucky on a nice deer moving through the area.

The above not withstanding, if your area is pretty well saturated with corn feeders it "can" pay dividends to be different.

I've never used alfalfa pellets, but several years ago I hunted in Nebraska and the hotspots to hunt were entry and exit game trails to alfalfa fields.

Try them and tell us how you do...

I keep alfalfa pellets for my horses. Was keeping them in an open stall next to the shop. Had to move them because I couldn't get in the drive way for all the figgen deer, they wouldn't move.

Can't bait deer in Wyoming, really no need to, but to answer your question, deer love them.

Also go to your local grocery store and ask if they will save all the bruised, cut, and bad apples they can't sell. I usually get about 10-15lbs a week.

And while your there, get some corn fed pork. And alphalpha fed beef.

For someone who despises hunting in the south as much as you apparently do, I am somewhat amazed you started an entire thread looking for hunting access around Lubbock...

Use the tools and techniques that are available to you. No hunting strategy works everywhere.

For someone who despises hunting in the south as much as you apparently do, I am somewhat amazed you started an entire thread looking for hunting access around Lubbock...

Use the tools and techniques that are available to you. No hunting strategy works everywhere.
I dont despise hunting anywhere.

From the Dictionary:to chase and kill (wild animals) for food or pleasure. : to search for something or someone very carefully ...

Sitting under a feeder with a rifle doesn't fit into that definition. I dont even really have a hard time with people doing it. Just giving ya'll a little shit. And yes I'd love to come down and HUNT something in the south, or even just SHOOT some pigs or something.

Try rice bran you will thank me later.

Deer at my place can't get enough of this stuff. They love it, even though there is a ton of acorns on the ground right now. I've put out 100 pounds of rice bran in the last 2 weeks and just put out another 50 pound bag bag last night. I just dump it in big piles spaced out a few feet apart.

Yep, they eat the shit out of rice bran. I use peanut butter and persimmon. Also can work well as a scent cover if put around you.

Well I'm going to try something different my area has gone without action for the last two weeks.