• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns All-around 9mm Handgun

Groundedclk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
Tilton, New Hampshire, USA
What I am looking for is a 9mm handgun, yes I know there is tons of them out there and all that blah.

On point what I am looking for is a self defense, B.O.B., SHTF, everyday 9mm handgun. I have selected the guns on the poll very carefully. Each one has it's own characteristics that allowed me to choose it.

What I am looking for is some opinions on which one you think would be best. I would greatly appreciate any personal or professional experience in anyone of these firearms, high demanding tasks, training.

I would prefer a gun with no rail but some of them I cant really choose that option. I like the idea of a gun with a steel frame and slide, it should provide more durability in the long run. On the other side a polymer frame would allow obviously cut down on the rust preventive method for a while and weight. As well as it either comes with its own threaded barrel or one can be purchased for it.

Edit:

As I have written on my post in this thread. I did not choose a Glock to put on the list because I do not like them. I do not feel comfortable shooting them. Now that doesn't mean I cant shoot them I am very good with any handgun. I have a very large collection; but I have owned a G17, G20, G32, G27, G26 and have sold every single one of them.

So my honest thought was a P30 or a M&P would be a suitable replacement for them. Especially with all the press the M&P has been getting and now seems to have a large following. There is a couple reported problems with rear sights and questionable trigger quality, but Apex makes some parts to help clean that up very quickly.

Then with the HK, it replaced the USP with at one point was a well renowned combat pistol. Downside on them the HK's has a questionable trigger and their customer service is terrible.

The price of the pistol is not my concern, I think the cheapest one of the list is $500 and the high is $1400. So my concern is the best pistol for the job and not the price.

Re: All-around 9mm Handgun

I have a HK P30 and a M&P 9. To me, the HK is a laser beam and the ergonomics are amazing. Unfortunately their customer service is the worst imaginable and Adam Webber is pretty much the only person available to get parts from. I love the feel of my M&P as well and I feel as if it's a very accurate shooter with a relatively low bore axis which gets me back on target very quickly. I also have the APEX Tactical DCAEK trigger kit and it does wonders to the trigger, very clean break. If you want a REALLY clean crisp break like a 1911 you can get the Forward Set Sear Trigger kit which actually replaces the factory trigger with an aluminum trigger (kind of looks like a Glock trigger) and you won't even believe the difference. I haven't had the chance to test out S&W customer service but I know its better than HK.

I chose the Sig 226 because you didn't have Glocks listed. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable 9mm than a Glock 19.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose the Sig 226 because you didn't have Glocks listed. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable 9mm than a Glock 19. </div></div>

+1

none of the above.

G17 or G19. Of what you listed M&P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose the Sig 226 because you didn't have Glocks listed. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable 9mm than a Glock 19. </div></div>
I agree with this. I love the P226, but IMHO nothing beats a G19 all around. Also, the new Walther PPQ is awesome. It's very similar to a P30 except the trigger is awesome. The Walther is striker fired with light/crisp pull and super short reset, unlike DA/SA H&K P30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the above.

Glock 19 all the way.</div></div>

What he said. 15+1 rounds in a compact, accurate and reliable package.

I will echo what others have said , for an all around dependable, tough gun, very hard to beat a Glock 17 or 19.

The only reason I didn't include Glock, was because I have owned several and the only one that I could ever shoot well was a G20.

The grip angle, trigger, etc. I can just not get used to them. That is why I was looking at the MP and the P30, figuring they were close enough to the Glock to make it a viable substitute.

Another vote for the Glock 19, it is the best compromise I have found for what you list above. Small enough for CC on a daily basis, big enough to shoot thousands of rounds through comfortably, range time is also important.

And, with just a little looking, you can find a Gen 2 police trade in that has barely been shot, without a rail, for about $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of the above. Glock 19 all the way.</div></div> What he said. 15+1 rounds in a compact, accurate and reliable package. </div></div>What they said.

Glock 19. Train yourself to shoot it well or have the grip altered if it makes that big of a difference to you.

I'm a HUGE Browning hi-power fan but wouldn't really recommend them to people these days with all the guns out there that are FFTF. I have to modify my hi-powers for me to like them enough for carry, anyway.

Have you looked at the Gen 4 19s? They have the grip attachments that make the grip a little more versatile for shooters.

The trigger is easily worked with some polishing and a new connector.

GLOCK 17 or 19, but if I had to pick from your list either a CZ 75, or Sig P226.

CZ75 Shadow, but CZ also make another good Self Defense 9mm in the PO7 Duty. I really like mine. But I still like my Glock 22 best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you only listed shit. get a beretta 92fs </div></div>

DA/SA of the 92fs is enough to take it out of the running for most folks

Groundedclk - u r asking for recommendations for a "self-defense" handgun. imho, many are saying glock and i agree 100%. again, the goal is to select a good "everyday self-defense" handgun. u want a simple functioning gun that will work...i.e glock has less things to worry about to make it shoot...other guns have other things to be concerned with to make the gun function, i.e. sa/da, decocking levers, too much saftey features or unconventional safeties, etc....u want it to work when you need it....less moving parts, means less chance of malfunctions and less things to manipulate...in a fight for your life, especially one where your handgun is your primary will usually mean up close where distance is and time is not on your side...plus, there's a lot of shit going on. a lot of people on primarily "gun" forums will respond with crazy answers and pick a gun that looks cool, a gun that they are partial to b/c it shoots well on a square stationary range, a gun that they saw used in a movie for a gunfight.......u get the idea. with self-defense being key here, simple - reliable - low-key.........

Browning Hi-Power was here before any of the rest and its design, I believe, has not changed significantly, other than enhancements, since its birth. That proves the design is reliable and accurate. The others are too, but I like original, basic designs. I don't like copy cats or spin offs by corporations that also happen to buy into a gun manufacturing entity.

Finish the surface with a baked on type, intall sights you like, and be done. The one to shoot is the one you shoot best. The rest comes after that.

Lotta Glock love here...certainly not a bad choice if you can handle the ergos, not a good fit for me and not on the OP's list...

I voted Smith M&P, although the 226 or the CZ would also be great choices IMHO. As the thread was titled "All-around 9mm Handgun" I think the M&P fits that description to a "T". Great ergos, accurate, mag capacity, and just an all around fun pistol to shoot. Add in S&W's outstanding customer service, wide selection of accessories and upgrades, and a very affordable price (generally at or below $460.00 retail in my area) and I think you have a clear winner.

A lot of good choices, but I hope the Glock 19 accidentally missed the list...Glock 19 easily, and don't worry about having a rail. No shortage of parts or holsters either.

all around either glock 19/17 or the 226/228

nothing else comes close

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose the Sig 226 because you didn't have Glocks listed. You'll be hard pressed to find a more durable 9mm than a Glock 19. </div></div>Agreed on this.

Of all my handguns, my 226 is my absolute favorite to shoot and I'll recommend it every time. Next choice is a Glock 17 or 19. Can't understand how they didn't even make your list.

Glock 19.

If you simply WILL NOT do the Glock, then the M&P.

Also - I believe you are incorrect to say a metal frame will be more durable in the long run. I can smack the frame (like I mean it) of a Glock/M&P with a hammer and they keep working like they should. Do the same with a metal frame (CZ/1911/Sig) and they're fucked. At least the steel frames can be bent back and made to work. The Aluminum frames break when bending them back.

The G19 isnt the be-all end-all gun, but for a dependable, useable, rugged "combat" 9mm, there is no equal. But, the M&Ps are no slouch. I prefer Glock for YOUR stated purpose because:

Simplest design out there
Can fix it with a hammer and a screwdriver
Adequately accurate
An entire kit of spare parts can be acquired for about $75
So many of them out there, spare parts are/would be easyish to get
So many out there, spare MAGS are/would be common
The mags themselves are cheap (M&Ps take Mec-gar and AREN'T cheap) and bulletproof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all around either <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">glock 19/17</span></span> or the <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">226/228</span></span>

nothing else comes close </div></div>

Throw in the 229, and I'm there, even if the 226 almost reminds one of a MK23, Jr. in size and bludgeoning potential.

The 226 and 229 were much easier to print with for me out of the box (making comparison to Glock). The OP did not mention anything on personal carry or concealment so I'd suggest retaining the sight radius of a full-size.

I'm not familiar on range with the M&P or the others, other then the BHP. If the XD was involved, I would not put it above a G17. It would be a toss-up for me on G17 and P226. I hate to say it (i do like Sig) but if I narrowed to one, I think the G17 wins on simplicity, reliability, ammo acceptance, magazine rigity/cost, total weight, and quick "holser-ability". Since your new with no previous preference on hammered SA or DA/SA autos; my suggestion is the G17.

glock 19 with night sights is my choice, but i agree that the m&p is more comfortable in my hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd take a P2000 over a P30 having owned both. </div></div>

Care to explain why? Curiosity is killing me.

i can't suggest a glock........i sold mine am not missing it, even after dumping a LOT of money into it..trying to get it shootable, for me.

i spent all day, yesterday, shooting a CZ 75sa....it was a HUGE improvement over the Glock, in every way.

I'm about to put an order in for an Eaa Match (think smoothed over cz 75sa) or an STI Spartan (9mm 1911..why yes, i would like that)

the mp and xd's are nice...as i've shot/owned them and think they're pretty sweet.

haven't owned/shot a sig, other than the .22lr 1911 and mosquito, so no opinion on them..but have always heard great things about them in general.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLOCK 17 or 19, but if I had to pick from your list either a CZ 75, or Sig P226.</div></div>

This.. (if you can't do Glock.. next would be M&P outside of an all metal gun)

My first choice would be a Glock 19, but I see that it's not on your list. So out of the ones listed I would choose the M&P.

Is there a particular reason why you didn't include a Glock on the list?

Also I think polymer framed handguns like Glocks and the M&P's have proven themselves to be very reliable, if not more then any steel framed gun

glock 19. Ive shot or owned almost every thing on your list and while some may "feel" better Ill take my glock and its utter reliability any day over the perceived problem with the ergonomics. Im firmly of the mindset that an individual can become extremely effective with any platform as long as that individual commits him/herself to practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the HIGH POINT choice? </div></div>

With so much Glock favoritism in this thread, Hi-Point would seem unnecessary, as yet another choice at a similar quality and price point level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the HIGH POINT choice? </div></div>

With so much Glock favoritism in this thread, Hi-Point would seem unnecessary, as yet another choice at a similar quality and price point level. </div></div>

Wow... Them is fightin' words!

I hope youre joking...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is the HIGH POINT choice? </div></div>

With so much Glock favoritism in this thread, Hi-Point would seem unnecessary, as yet another choice at a similar quality and price point level. </div></div>

Wow... Them is fightin' words!

I hope youre joking... </div></div>

Only somewhat. A lot of folks see Glocks as the cure for the common cold and capable of taking down Godzilla no matter what the caliber. They make holes, like a lot of other pistols, but it's very much a Ford Taurus, a fleet job with only so much curb appeal that gets the job done.

I shoot with a lot of LE and Military. If I ask Sig or HK fanboys what gun they would choose if they could only take one gun for a SHTF situation, a lot of them set pride aside and grumble as they say "a glock."

They always go bang when you need them to.

The trigger pull takes a few minutes to get used to if you follow the basics of marksmanship.

Squeeze the trigger with the pad of your finger straight back until the gun goes bang.

Follow through.

Slowly release until the trigger resets.

Hold. Aim. Begin to depress the trigger for the second bang.

I taught a girl I'm dating how to shoot my G17 and she was all about taking out the target's eyes and balls from 15 yards (she put stick on targets on the silhouette). It was pretty impressive for her first time shooting a handgun.

Each glock is different. My trigger resets after about a .3 inch and breaks the moment I begin to squeeze again. I shot my buddy's HK USP Tactical and it felt like an eternity to get the trigger reset even though it was a sexy gun.

I chose the p226 in your poll as a runner up.