• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All around gun

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
Trying to ship up a present for my 40th. Going on a trip to hunt deer and wanting a new gun for it. Was looking at the petra, but hearing some of the large AR guns are having problems I think I will stick with a 308.

Was looking at the larue predatobr as it breaks down for travel. Hard to find them though? Any other awesome 308 platforms you guys would recommend? Hoping it's stupid accurate and easy to travel would be nice too. Just looking for opinions for a Badass ar10.

Why are Larues hard to find? Can't order a new one?
Their .260 is amazing.
Or their ultimate upper kit with a lower is a great deal.
JP's are also excellent.

Reactions: BravoSierra
Looking at the 6.5 now. Didn't realize it had enough punch for an elk. So it would work for all n. American game. Love the ballistics as I mostly will be killing paper at long ranges lol

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Yup, 6.5 Creedmoor is the new wonderkid. I'd recommend a JP because I've got one but they are ritzy and maybe not meant for serious hard use. If you need something that goes bang eveytime and less expensive I'd suggest KAC. (Never woulda though I'd recommend KAC as a budget option LOL)

Not worried about price as much as precise and quality. Wilson combat has a lot of options and several in stock. They as accurate as jp?

Reactions: DubfromGA
The JP is better imho. it’s smooth as butter and very reliable.

i have had most ar10 guns - they are primarily just variations on a theme. the Jp is a bit better - side charger, great barrel, better buffer system, excellent build quality

Reactions: drewthebrave
I don't have a large frame JP, just a 224V, but the build quality really is pretty incredible. Doesn't feel like an ar, feels like a custom bolt gun. My KAC 5.56 is my favorite 5.56, but it still feels like an M4, just performs better than average.

Had a Larue Predatober, and it was an awesome gun. I've heard different things about the current ones, but a friend just bought their budget version, and he's getting 10 shot sub moa groups with it.

Unless it has to be a semi, I'd look at the Fix as well. Perfect for the travelling hunter, I really like mine.

Not worried about price as much as precise and quality. Wilson combat has a lot of options and several in stock. They as accurate as jp?

Can’t speak to JP but their reputation is stellar. I can tell you that my experience with Wilson has been excellent in both guns and they are both 1/2”-MOA without mods. Fit and finish are butter smooth. Of the choices out there, Wilson and JP get the nod for me.

Check if the state your are hunting has an ammo limit. For example Colorado elk mags capacity can only be 5+1

Reactions: RNWRKNP
i have had the:
JP
Nemo
Mega
Larue
Armalite
GAP
DPMS
KAC
and finally an Aero Precision.

The only thing i felt i needed to change on the Jp was the trigger, because i’m in love with triggertech.

Both JPs shot like a nice bolt gun

i have had the:
JP
Nemo
Mega
Larue
Armalite
GAP
DPMS
KAC
and finally an Aero Precision.

The only thing i felt i needed to change on the Jp was the trigger, because i’m in love with triggertech.

Both JPs shot like a nice bolt gun

What trigger weight are you using on your 10’s amigo? That would be a mod I would consider as my Wilson is at 4. Nowhere near your experience with 10’s. Wilson has a great trigger but too heavy....

For the record IMHO, 6.5 is not a selection I would make for elk. You can kill anything with shot placement and a 22 but it does not allow for margins of error. For elk I would step up to a 30 cal and a proven hunting bullet but that’s just my opinion.

Also The OP wants an accurate rifle so LaRue is out.. But if you get a awesome deal on a OBR, take it!....

I took a buddies OBR, had a Custom Kreiger Barrel made, I installed a SLR AGB, Geissele Trigger and a JP SCS... And she is just magical!

JP Rifles are well and truly capable of field use!! And still have a .5 MOA Rifle, they just use the heavier BCG and SCS. JP actually has a suppressor ready to design the is field ready.

If you don't want to spend that coin, get a Seekins SP10.

The Larue is pretty good - usually.

I love my JP as I have the buffering bolt carrier. So I can take the suppressor off of the rifle and use it without adjusting gas.
And finally, I have been in the field with mine for days at a time. It is field grade, no question.

My dream big frame ar is a sr25 with an 18" 6.5 barrel.

Until then I'll take a larue 18" 6.5

If you like building and budget is a concern, I like the Aero M5E1 enhanced upper with matching handguard and lower. For a barrel, Criterion has been good to me, I want to try a Wilson Combat, they have had some really good sales, 6.5 Creedmoor of course. 6.5mm bullets have been used for hunting elephant so with the right bullet choice it will do quite a bit.

Round it out with some nice pieces from JP and other premium brands and you'll wind up with a very nice rifle with money left over for optics.

I love all four of my JP's but for hunting, the LPR-07 would be a very heavy rifle.

I have had lot's of problems with my Wilson with failures to feed. All of my JP's work great and are silly accurate.

For Hunting and Comfortable ( Cozy ) carry around the AR-10

Christensen Arms CA-10 DMR 308 or 6.5 CM

50E9C9D3-89E2-4835-BDB9-14F226D00CFF.png

Last edited:
Reactions: tree.bobby
KAC-ACC
KAC-APC

I have an early chrome lined APC and couldn’t be happier. If I had to do it all over again I might have gone ACC for a little weight saving.

Consider the POF .308 Revolution. It’s not real heavy. Extremely reliable and accurate. Truly a great all arounder. Good luck.

Wilson has some pretty light weight rifles that would probably be very welcome as hunting riggs. Great reputation for accuracy as well.

Reactions: DubfromGA
For the record IMHO, 6.5 is not a selection I would make for elk. You can kill anything with shot placement and a 22 but it does not allow for margins of error. For elk I would step up to a 30 cal and a proven hunting bullet but that’s just my opinion.
So would you rule out the even larger moose as well? Males average 840-1870lbs.

Because nobody got the memo in Scandinavia since the late 1800s that their 6.5x55 Mausers wouldn’t work on those, and most of those rifles were pre-WWII steel alloy that didn’t take modern pressures, so mv was pretty moderate compared to a 6.5CM or .260 Rem.

You’re looking at around 2380fps with a 156grl, and 2625fps with a 140gr from a 29” barrel at those lower chamber pressures.

They’ve been stacking moose like the plague hit them for well over 120 years. Every year in Sweden, they kill an average of 100,000 (not a typo) moose. 60,000 in Finland and 40,000 in Norway.

Not only do the old, lower pressure 6.5s work well on moose, but they and the 7mm cartridges have average shorter travel distance from the shot before they go down, at least according to a Scandinavian moose-hunting survey with over 14,000 sample responses from hunters. .30 caliber cartridges averaged higher travel distances from the shot compared to 6.5mm and 7mm.

I think that’s more of a factor of lower recoil building confidence, which helps tremendously with shot placement.

Better shot placement = faster kills.

When you break the shot, lose sight picture, and have significant muzzle blast, it’s hard to see what happened.

The only argument for .308 for me right now is SHTF ammo commonality/availability.

Reactions: drewthebrave

Because nobody got the memo in Scandinavia since the late 1800s that their 6.5x55 Mausers wouldn’t work on those, and most of those rifles were pre-WWII steel alloy that didn’t take modern pressures, so mv was pretty moderate compared to a 6.5CM or .260 Rem.

You’re looking at around 2380fps with a 156grl, and 2625fps with a 140gr from a 29” barrel at those lower chamber pressures.

They’ve been stacking moose like the plague hit them for well over 120 years. Every year in Sweden, they kill an average of 100,000 (not a typo) moose. 60,000 in Finland and 40,000 in Norway.

Not only do the old, lower pressure 6.5s work well on moose, but they and the 7mm cartridges have average shorter travel distance from the shot before they go down, at least according to a Scandinavian moose-hunting survey with over 14,000 sample responses from hunters. .30 caliber cartridges averaged higher travel distances from the shot compared to 6.5mm and 7mm.

I think that’s more of a factor of lower recoil building confidence, which helps tremendously with shot placement.

When you break the shot, lose sight picture, and have significant muzzle blast, it’s hard to see what happened.

The only argument for .308 for me right now is SHTF ammo commonality/availability.

agree with 308 choose 👍🏻. But almighty 6.5 and Scandinavian moose hunts 🤦🏻‍♂️
Yes they hunt moose with 6.5 because it was/still commonly available cartridge like 308/30-06 in US. Hunting style drive hunts where distance to the animal no more that 100 yards. Or hunt with dogs, when dogs holding animal in 1 place. Giving time for hunter close distance and put perfect shot. European moose is smaller moose in world reaching sizes of average elk. Yes 6.5 will work with in300 yards on elk or European moose. Can be stretch out only in perfect conditions with proper bullet selection.

.308, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag are and have been very popular in Scandinavia. They accounted for 50% of the cartridges used in the Scandinavian moose hunting survey. The travel distance from the shot on moose averaged longer than those shot with 6.5mm or 7mm, so the conditions are relatively uniform, whether we shoot them from any of the common hunting stands in Finland, or in the more hilly and mountainous terrain in Norway and Sweden. I’ve seen a lot of the hunting stands in Finland all over the countryside in about every region of the country I’ve been to, including Uusimaa, Central Finland, Ostrobothnia, Pirkanmaa, Satakunta, Lapland, etc.

6.5mm and 7mm accounted for the next largest segments of cartridges used, with 9.3mm and .45 bores on the margins.

ETA: Forgot .30-06 in the game survey stats...added

Last edited:
Edit: Should have read how old the thread is first. Coming in a few years late with my reply. To give a reference on how accurate a JP 260 can be here is some bullet placement.

Attachments

• 260 @ 900 yards.jpg
    260 @ 900 yards.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: DubfromGA and S_R

There is alot of good advice in the thread and I don't think you could go wrong with most of your choices.

I've had/have the follow
Armalite, w/krieger barrel
Armailite/mega, W/pac nor/November barrel
Lmt mws with factory barrels
KAC ACC with factory barrel.

For a field rifle, I think the kac probably suit that role best, its reliable, and is more than capable of putting rounds on moving targets at most realistic hunting ranges.

For a precision role, its really hard beat something like GAP with a Bartlien barrel. Its going to be heavy but its going to be a consistent shooter.

Just to throw it out there, an AR-10 is twice the weight of an equivalent bolt action hunting rifle. I hunt with my AR-10 but it is uncomfortable to have a 12 pound gun. And that's a modestly lightweight gun, light barrel, regular weight optic. There's dudes running around with 7 pound hunting rifles.

I would not buy a 6.5cm gun if my intent was to shoot an elk. It can work but if you're buying a new gun, go bigger.

Reactions: S_R
Trying to ship up a present for my 40th. Going on a trip to hunt deer and wanting a new gun for it. Was looking at the petra, but hearing some of the large AR guns are having problems I think I will stick with a 308.

Was looking at the larue predatobr as it breaks down for travel. Hard to find them though? Any other awesome 308 platforms you guys would recommend? Hoping it's stupid accurate and easy to travel would be nice too. Just looking for opinions for a Badass ar10.
Why a gas gun? Why pay $2,000+ for a large frame AR so it can shoot as well as a $400 savage bolt gun. ( I don’t own a savage)
I do hunt black tails with a 6.8 spc that weights a tad over 7 pounds.

with those numbers, how do they keep the population sustainable?

Just to throw it out there, an AR-10 is twice the weight of an equivalent bolt action hunting rifle. I hunt with my AR-10 but it is uncomfortable to have a 12 pound gun. And that's a modestly lightweight gun, light barrel, regular weight optic. There's dudes running around with 7 pound hunting rifles.

I would not buy a 6.5cm gun if my intent was to shoot an elk. It can work but if you're buying a new gun, go bigger.
agree, I'd go bolt gun and something light. Don't laugh but a TC Compass is a great hunting rifle

Dont laugh but the entry level TC, Ruger, Savage will kill 99.9% of the deer killd in the US ea yr. 308 Win would easily kill 97% of those deer. And a $100 scope would do adequate on 90%. We (I) spend a lot more to kill deer than is necessary. Jus sayn

I think Eugene Stoner gave us the basic blueprint for the most truly utilitarian rifle.

His first (I believe) was the AR-10, and his customers almost immediately changed horses in midstream and we therefore got the AR-15. Remember, the AR-10 was the war implement, the AR-15 was a sporting rifle before LeMay decided he'd like some for his airbase guards.

The regulators of personal civilian choices love to forget this little historical tidbit.

For what was needed, the AR-10 IMHO, was the superior artifact; but for the practicalities, the AR-15 allowed for more ammunition portability, and in those times where accuracy was an afterthought in real terms (tens of thousands of rounds per enemy casualty), it served the purpose well enough.

These days, be the accuracy standard minute of paperbeast/gong, minute of venison, or minute of badguy; precision accuracy is, honestly, an exorbitant luxury. For the coming days, it may turn out that the basic implement, with infantry accuracy standards, is the better mousetrap. For the 'do everything' task, sub-MOA accuracy is overkill. Forget about the latest and greatest, a plain old issue grade M-1 Garand can end your fun just as totally as anything costing four figures today. Me, I'd get the Hell out of the way of a working Brown Bess.

The 308 and the AR-10 platform are children of the same womb; the latter designed around the former. As some of us have discovered, wandering far from that original mold is fraught with challenges.

We are beset with a time when the macro-manipulators have deigned that we should all abandon our individuality and walk in lockstep, humming their tune of Kumbayah forever. Be you a patriot, a wage slave, or a Resident Elder Fart; you may take issue with such concepts, and like our forefounders, seek to improve your lot by means of pushing back against the Juggernaut. FWIW, that's A LOT of pushback.

With a basic AR-10, you may find worse, but probably, won't find much better.

My personal option is a 20" PSA PA-10. An AR-10 is not a lightweight rifle, and shouldn't be if you're planning on shooting it a lot. But neither is the M-14, and I carried mine night and day for well over a year. Like all necessary things, you get used to it.

I don't need a badass AR-10. The AR-10, in and of itself, is the badass.

Greg

Last edited:
The linked article is a good read, if you are actually interested in Scandinavian moose hunting. The short of it is that they have a lot more moose than Alaska (per sq mile), and are managing for population and not trophy size.

great read and thanks. When I read your post, those numbers just seemed shockingly high and as any hunter should want, sustainable game is important. Thanks!

with those numbers, how do they keep the population sustainable?
Those are the seasonal birth rates. Average annual harvests are well-managed and balanced with birth rates, so there is no shortage of moose in Scandinavia, that I can tell you. Now finding roe deer is another story. Moose are like rats up there.

Those are the seasonal birth rates. Average annual harvests are well-managed and balanced with birth rates, so there is no shortage of moose in Scandinavia, that I can tell you. Now finding roe deer is another story. Moose are like rats up there.
road trip! See a new country, get a good hunt in for plentiful game, try some new beer. win win