• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All-around rain gear for PRS shooting

Yeah but then you have to run around looking like a flecktard lol.
Jk, I think it's a cool pattern.

Right!? Its actually well made gear for the money its surplused off at. Just as durable/effective as my North Face stuff I take backpacking that I probably spent 10x more on. It doesnt rain much where I live though.

Dont over think it. No need to drop large nuggets on look at me name tag brands. Waterproof breathable is a myth especially when it is worn above freezing with high humidity, it just cant work due to physics. There must be pressure difference between the climate inside your garment to the outside climate. The closer these two are in warmth and humidity, there is no pressure difference to drive warm moist air from inside to the outside, its impossible. The most effective method is by chimney effect where air is drawn from around the waist up through the garment and out around the neck and head. But again, the outside air has to be cooler with less humidity but chimney is the most effective.

I would dump the 5.11 and wear a light weight soft shell on my legs. Spring summer and fall rain they are about all you need, they will protect and dry very quickly, good for all seasons.

Water wind proof for your legs, simple cheap coated nylon for kneeling and sitting etc in wet mud and slop.

For your top, heat gear to protect from sun, I wear mine all year here in Alaska. In colder temps, start with Capilene t shirt under heat gear.

I would look at Frogg Togg UL suite for wind and rain, spend less than $20. I bought several suits at SW when they were $10. They are over sized for room and chimney effect. Duct tape up the knees or sew some cordura patches on, works for me.

Also a thought, perhaps not as much at matches.

If the weather is in and I dont have to be in it, I settle down under an UL tarp to wait out the rain. I have 2 sets of rain gear.
light and packable (works well) and heavier for if I suspect many damp days and lots of precipitation.

here in CO, I wear soft-shell pants and very rarely get out my rain pants.

Dont over think it. No need to drop large nuggets on look at me name tag brands. Waterproof breathable is a myth especially when it is worn above freezing with high humidity, it just cant work due to physics. There must be pressure difference between the climate inside your garment to the outside climate. The closer these two are in warmth and humidity, there is no pressure difference to drive warm moist air from inside to the outside, its impossible. The most effective method is by chimney effect where air is drawn from around the waist up through the garment and out around the neck and head. But again, the outside air has to be cooler with less humidity but chimney is the most effective.

I would dump the 5.11 and wear a light weight soft shell on my legs. Spring summer and fall rain they are about all you need, they will protect and dry very quickly, good for all seasons.

Water wind proof for your legs, simple cheap coated nylon for kneeling and sitting etc in wet mud and slop.

For your top, heat gear to protect from sun, I wear mine all year here in Alaska. In colder temps, start with Capilene t shirt under heat gear.

I would look at Frogg Togg UL suite for wind and rain, spend less than $20. I bought several suits at SW when they were $10. They are over sized for room and chimney effect. Duct tape up the knees or sew some cordura patches on, works for me.
Also a thought, perhaps not as much at matches.

If the weather is in and I dont have to be in it, I settle down under an UL tarp to wait out the rain. I have 2 sets of rain gear.
light and packable (works well) and heavier for if I suspect many damp days and lots of precipitation.

here in CO, I wear soft-shell pants and very rarely get out my rain pants.

Any particular soft-shell pants you guys like?

Arcteryx all day. I’ve used mine in the midwest, pacific northwest, and montana mountains. It’s kept me dry since I bought it 3 years ago.

Absolutely but there has to be a roof. My first time was cool and wet, laying in mud. Not sure a poncho would have worked without pants or similar. Last few times used an EZ up and totes. The guys next to us had tarps P corded up to block the blowing snain. I don't have lots of experience, just been to a few.

Why don’t y’all just use a poncho? Or stand under a roof? :unsure:

@pucker

i liked the Patagonia guide pants. the talus are also good. Not sure they still make the guide. They also have a phenomenal warranty.
marmot has a pair I got my brother for a good deal that will suit just about anything well.
currently use KUIU (pick weight, style for season, also come in non-camo) mammut, and cloudveil.
Also have some sitka that I dont care for a ton.
good backups hunting if my other ones get messed up.

a lightweight soft-shell pant is very versatile. Alone good in warm temps, good to pretty chilly with lightweight long undwrwear.

I just did a deep dive on researching this for fishing. I purchased bibs and jacket from Mustang Survival.
Top level shit from folks who design sailing gear and dry suits for rescue units. And Inflatable PFDs.
But this is use specific. Your gear may get beat on more so the hunting brands or Arc. may hold up under that use better.

Last edited: