• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All day carry

sam626

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2011
stilwell, kansas
Due to some new state laws, I can no longer be prevented from carrying at work. Usually I only carry for a few hours at a time, but now I'll have it on me pretty much all the time. I'm turning to you guys for suggestions that might be a little more comfortable than my usual IWB on the hip method. My usual carry gun is a G23.

I carry all day in an IWB old faithful holster w/ my FNP-9. I love that setup, but a full size handgun can get tiresome after a while. My UPS driver loves his CW45, so I'm looking for one as well. I'm thinking about switching to pocket carry while actually at work (small company, controlled security, etc.) and carry my FNP when I'm out and about.

What kind of job do you have? Office, industrial, etc.? Office job IWB in different locations is possible. Kind of hard to do apendix carry with a shop job that you are constantly moving, bending and carrying heavy objects. I would go with ankle holster for that kind of job. Or get a pistol like my S&W bodyguard, easily concealed in a pocket. If you wear high work boots that could also be an option with a clip on holster that you would mount to the top inside of the boot. Not the easiest to access but far better than leaving it in your vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

I carry in a crossbreed all day...but i have a belt from here: Gun Belts by The Belt Man

A good belt distributes the weight and makes carry more comfortable. Buy your pants with carry in mind, go a little bigger than what you need to allow for the extra room.

Now I dont even really notice, no problem carrying all day.

I carry constantly, that is anytime I have my pants on. I carry per the LEOSA so there are few places I can't carry.

When I mean constantly, I mean CONSTANTLY. I carry a little S&W 642 in my pocket. Chances are if its not in my pocket, I'm shooting or dryfiring. Couple times it almost got washed but wife caught it in time.

After several years you never know its there. But you'll sure know if its not.

I'm a big fan of the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2. It's very comfortable. I also like the Comp-tac M-tac. Those two get the most carry. If I had to choose it would be the Vanguard.

Chip

I carry a Springfield XD-m Compact .45 all day in a Galco King Tuck. Very comfortable walking, running, or sitting. I do 3 to 6 mile runs around home with it and I drive a forklift at work all day and not one issue.

What kind of job do you have? Office, industrial, etc.? Office job IWB in different locations is possible. Kind of hard to do apendix carry with a shop job that you are constantly moving, bending and carrying heavy objects. I would go with ankle holster for that kind of job. Or get a pistol like my S&W bodyguard, easily concealed in a pocket. If you wear high work boots that could also be an option with a clip on holster that you would mount to the top inside of the boot. Not the easiest to access but far better than leaving it in your vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

I'm the superintendent of a wastewater treatment plant, so I spend my time pretty evenly divided between the office and out in the plant. A smaller pistol would make for easier carry, but I've got these big, fat hands that make them uncomfortable to shoot. I currently use a Bianchi leather/suede clip on type holster.

There are some excellent suggestions and comments on/in this thread. For that, I too thank ya'll. That being said, and considering the site, I've been patiently waiting for the "Drop-Leg-Only" comments, for the 'real' serious affectionado's. :)

Keep it up. This is informative.

Sam, if you are currently carrying in a clip on IWB and really don't want to change what you are carrying, try one of the few brands of IWB holster designed like the Crossbreed Supertuck, CompTac Minatour MTAC, Galco King Tuk, etc. These are very comfortable to wear, especially when compared to the clip on types, IMO.

I use the MTAC when carrying the Kahr and love it, but often just go with the 642 in a cheap pocket holster. Either makes it easy and comfortable for all day carry.

It should go without saying, but if you pocket carry make sure you use a pocket holster. I've run into a few people who didnt, and it is a matter of time before they lean into something and poke that trigger. Corner of a table, something heavy you are carrying, etc. Will prevent printing as well.

I do inside the waist band smith 64 . Double loop 15 degree forward Kant and it is quite comfy. I had to put wooden grips on so my shirt doesn't snag though

My daily carry rig is a G26 in a Milt Sparks VM2. This hides well under my normal "office wear" (typically a polo shirt in warmer weather and a sweater in the winter). It's comfortable enough where I can wear it all day in the car or in an office chair.

I'm new-ish to the hide, but not to weapons or CCW. Being left handed my options are a tad limited. I'm still a huge fan of OWB and Alaska's temps allow me to do that with just a light-weight "utility"type vest as cover. Kinda like a fly-fishing/electrician's vest combo. BUT as far as weapons,, I can NOT recommend the XDS high enough. I'm not easily impressed, but this little unit has won me over. If you'd like, I can expound.
Just in time for summer's warmer temps, I came across the Pearcegrip floorplates for the 5rd mags. The finger tab is a game changer for the 5rd'ers. The weapon disappears at my 8 o'clock. My single mag magpouch still carries a 7rd at 4 o'clock.
I can and do wear this all day comfortably, with ease. And I figure that anywhere 13 Black Talons aren't enough,, is somewhere I don't need to be anyway.

Last edited:
I carry all day and have a number of environments and positions I muddle through during the day. Computer work, driving, service work on machines and software training. The best option is to have a quality belt first. The next step is choosing a holster that works for your firearm retention, position and your body style. I use a leather IWB and OWB depending on what I'm wearing or the season. Nice work by Ryan at R Grizzle Leather www.rgrizzleleather.com and the price was very affordable when I purchased my last set of holsters 5 years ago. I carry a 9mm P226 sometimes and a 45 ACP P220 most of the time with no discomfort from the gear. I stress that you get a quality belt like posted above.

IWB-2.jpg

Your body size & proportion has a lot to do with what "YOU" will find comfortable. I am 6'1 220 & have carried a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks 1 1/2"belt, VMII, & dual mag carrier on the opposite side for years and no one has ever seen it and I don't notice it either. The balance helps more than anything for me as I have tried others but keep coming back to this setup. Carry equipment is a very personal choice when it comes to fit. Anthony

I carry all day, every day. I've tried different things over the years and always go back to either a full size 1911 or a Combat Commander. I find the IWB hard to get at and use one of my Askin's types on a belt. If you use a left hand, or right hand on left side, and run the belt on the outside of the holster, it carries concealed well, is easy to get at and is comfortable to wear. I always carry a backup, usually another 1911, but sometimes a old S&W Bodyguard, and sitting in a vehicle my backup is out on the seat or in a cup holder.

So you guys are telling me that as concealed gun carriers you can't tell when someone is packing a full size pistol like a 1911 or a Sig 226? Both of which I own. I find it very obvious. I can walk around and tell "that guys trying to conceal an oversized pistol"... it easy to spot unless it's winter, you're outside, and have a coat on. Just my observations.

I'm currently selling my Shield and Galco pocket holster, but that is because I like the extra boolits in the M&P Compact more than the Shield's convenience. That being said, I LOVE the fact that I can just drop (the holstered) Shield in my pocket and walk out the door. Spare mag in the other pocket and you are ready to go!

Whoa,
I gotta agree with the Shankster; is that cool or some kind of weird omen?

FWIW, I check in at 5'11" and 200lbs. Not as lean, twice as mean. The narrow XDS in a DeSantis mini scabbard is 'oh so nice. I did a few years in Ks in the 80's,, it gets mondo hot,, so probly not the best intel as far as carry. I still think you should look into the weapon.

Gotta love this place,, good intel

Last edited:
Picked up the S&W M&P Shield and it's extremely accurate! If you get a change, shoot one, it shot just as well as the larger framed autos.

I carried a para ordnance p13 as a duty gun for many years. the keys to comfort, concealability, and security are a quality holster and belt. If you use wimpy gear, it flops around and does not work well. I found inside the pants holsters uncomfortable, so I stayed with strong side, outside pants...same as I used in competition. that way the pistol was always in the same place.

You do not have to spend a fortune for a good belt. A stiff horsehide, or steerhide belt will work well. You can even make your own if there is a leather supply shop nearby. Oregon Leather sells strips of latigo in various colors and widths fairly cheap.

I agree with those that recommend a good quality belt to go with your carry rig, whatever you end up with. I also agree with Unknown that a good belt does not have to cost a fortune. I've purchased a few from L.L.Bean for $40 and less that are very good, heavy and solid. I certainly wouldn't turn down a $70-100 purpose-made belt if someone gave it to me though. :)

I carry daily, much longer than 8 hours a day, including on weekends. Glock 19 in a Desantis Intruder holster. Love it. It's a hybrid and really stabilizes the weight and spreads out the load.

Give up on the IWB for all day would be my suggestion. Been there/done that with some expensive stuff (Milt Sparks) and was never comfortable.

Get a few $12 Glock belt slide holsters. Get our your heat gun. Play with the cant a bit (cutable slots in the holster) and find the position you like best. I suggest highest with some forward cant.

Use the heat gun to form the parts that lead from the section that holds the pistol to the belt parts from ambi to right handed (assuming you are right handed).

I have been carrying a 27 or 19 in one of these for 18 years. The same one. Still going strong.

sam,
Did you figure out what you needed to know? A decent (ie reasonable, not top of the line) holster can be found for around $50 new, used ones at a gun show much cheaper. A new belt of similar quality should run $40-50. Both should last at least a decade.

I work in a shop and leave my tee shirt over my Blackhawk leather holster with a built in extra mag for 1911. 12 hour plus carry every day with no issue. I too have a Mr. Belt to distribute the weight which makes all the difference.

Didn't carry he other day early on since it was the school science fair and my bank lady thought I was loosing weight:)

...Couple times it almost got washed but wife caught it in time...

I heard,"Aaaashooooole! Why did you leave that in your pocket!?!?!?" from all the way in the basement before. The little 32ACP Beretta fits nicely in a pocket behind ID or whatever and if needed will do the job well enough. I do know though, that a compact 45 still feels so much nicer

So you guys are telling me that as concealed gun carriers you can't tell when someone is packing a full size pistol like a 1911 or a Sig 226? Both of which I own. I find it very obvious. I can walk around and tell "that guys trying to conceal an oversized pistol"... it easy to spot unless it's winter, you're outside, and have a coat on. Just my observations.
Usually. And usually I have trouble effectively concealing a full-size pistol. And usually I am usually not a fan of Kydex. However, a 1st Batt. friend of mine recently introduced me to Wilder Tactical. Josh used to be a Ranger medic and he makes these things now. This is an excellent holster for a full size pistol: I use one for my G19 and it's the best, most comfortable holster I have for that gun - and I can conceal it under a T-shirt. Get the belt loops on it, though: Wilder Tactical ? Next generation Kydex holsters

Last edited:
It should go without saying, but if you pocket carry make sure you use a pocket holster. I've run into a few people who didnt, and it is a matter of time before they lean into something and poke that trigger. Corner of a table, something heavy you are carrying, etc. Will prevent printing as well.
I turn my pocket into a redneck holster by putting thick iron on patches in it. It reduces printing and makes the pocket last longer. Its amazing how quick an LCP will wear out a pocket.

Graham makes a good point about kydex. I have kydex competition holsters, but had not considered them for daily carry. a big advantage of kydex is that it is quite thin compared to a leather holster. Where concealment is important, the 1/4 to 3/8 inch of thickness you save by using a kydex holster can make a big difference. Plus, kydex will not absorb moisture like leather will.

i use a kahr p380 in a pocket holster, very easy and convenient

This, except when I'm out and about.... Then it's either a CW40 IWB or a 1911, also IWB. Tip there- if you are going to carry IWB, buy bigger pants.
Also, you mentioned littler guns are 'uncomfortable to shoot'. This is true, but remember that you're not going to run IDPA drills with the .380 very often. The idea is to have the firearm, any firearm, handy and on your person. I'm betting if it ever comes out, you won't care about 'uncomfortable'. I run steel plate drills with the .380 and .40 (not as often as I should) and I've run a shitload through 1911s, so whatever I've got, I can use rapidly.
My .02

1911fan

had to get on here and praise the great customer service I received from Remora. I had purchased their no clip holster for my S&W M&P SHIELD and added all the 'bells and whistles' to it. The holster works great by the way. However after a while of breaking it in the rear sights settled right under the top lip of the holster. Now granted these are after market and much larger rear sights ( xs big dot ). when the rear sights snagged the gun was nearly impossible to draw. I contacted remora if they recommended gluing or melting the top lip to help keep it from getting snagged.
I never got an email back, no sir.
Remora instead made me a BRAND NEW holster with ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES and shipped it to me immediately. in the package was a return envelope for the old holster (which I gladly sent back).
The new holster lip is cut below the back of the rear sights so it wont snag. The holster is perfect, thank you so much remora.

ap8z8g.jpg

Here's one that I made for my 92, also have one like it for my 1911. The small of back works best for me, followed distantly by a shoulder rig.
I constantly get hung up on random objects when I hip carry, plus it feels like it will fall out when I ride motorbike or atv's.