• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing All purpose hunting rifle/round

Nuke Man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2012
North West, Illinois
Im finally at a place in life where I can start paying an outfitter for hunting trips. I want to start with some hunts out west. So my question is what is a good all purpose rifle/ caliber from antelope to elk? I am thinking 300 WM. I currently own a RRA LAR-8 but I might get some funny looks if I showed up with that rifle. I have not killed anything with a rifle but lots of critters with my bow and shotguns.

Re: All purpose hunting rifle/round

Model 70 or 700 in 30-06 with 168TSX or7mm RemMag with premium 140s or 160s will serve your needs well. Throw on a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweights and go kill stuff.

Thanks I will check out the 7mm rm. Alot of guys in my shop swear by rugers but I am leaning towards a 700 due to all the aftermarket options.

A 30-06 has been on every hunting trip I've ever made, either by me or another in the party. It's always worked, been accurate, and done the job as assigned. I know that round has hunted around the world. So unless you're going for big angry game, that's what I'd pick.

This topic has been hit on and hit on again and again. I know because I read ALL of the forums relating to this topic. The conclusion that I came to was it's really up to you. .243, 30-06, .270, .300WM, .308, etc etc etc. The short mags are great if you want to run a short action strictly to save weight. There's a lot of great rounds that will kill everything in North America. The 30-06 seems to be the popular choice. Readily available, popular "American" cartridge etc, etc, etc. Good luck. I think a 300 WSM might be my next rifle.

Browning A-Bolt in 308, Bell & Carson Stock, a little over 6 lbs.. Been to Alaska, dropped a moose, Wy. 6 times, 3 Muleys, 6 Antalope, countless Whitetail, Michigan Elk Hunt in 2 weeks.

Loads range from anything you want

270 or '06

cheaper to shoot, comes in lighter rifles, and MUCH easier to shoot.

Like others said it just comes down to personal preference. With that said, I LOVE my Model 700 in .25-06. It's light, very accurate, not too loud, and can take down hogs and deer like it's nobody's business. We somehow have an elk and a red stag on our place so hopefully I'll get a shot at one of them this year. I'm really curious to see how the .25-06 will do against an elk. I don't think it will have a problem.

Good bolt gun in 30-06, or, if you reload .280. Then practice, practice, practice.
Patrick

Weatherby Vanguard, 270 win, Bushy Elite 3X9. 06' is a very close second for me. Can't go wrong with either.

-c

Lots of good choices. Mine is a model 70 in. 270 but a 30-06, 25-06, 308, 7mm, 6.5x55 etc.. will do well just depends what's most important to you (ie, speed, knock down power, trajectory, recoil, different weights of projectiles, etc.). But if you stick with the old standbys I don't think you can go wrong.

Ymmv

You really don't need a 300WM to kill an elk unless its a long ways out and even then you still don't need it as it's going to come down to bullet placement.

My thinking is if I'm going to pay an outfitter and travel first I'm going to make sure I have a rifle that is going to work no doubt, and second I would make sure it's in a caliber that I can get ammo for no doubt. Shit happens, a rifle can fail, and you can forget or lose your ammo so you gotta be prepared.

If I was going on a trip that I have a fair amount of $$ tied up into I would take a Sako 85 or a Weatherby Mark V. Forget the typical production rifles that are more likely to have issues when you need them the most. I would buy it in 30-06, 270, 308, or 7mm mag. Any of them will kill anything in NA deader than hell. I would probably pick something else for a brown bear but for elk and even moose, no problem. The best part is you can buy ammo for them anywhere. You may have a little more trouble finding ammo for the 7mmRM but you should still be able to locate it. 270, 308, and 30-06 there probably isn't a walmart or gun store in the country that doesn't have a few box's of each.

I would have a back up gun too if I was traveling and paying for a hunt and I would have it in another one of those chamberings. If you lost your ammo, and you couldn't find ammo for you're main rifle there's another chance of finding some, plus you have a back up rifle in case something happened to your main one. I probably wouldn't go all out and get a MarkV or Sako for the backup but I would stick to the more reliable side of the factory guns. Winchester, Tikka T3, and Weatherby Vanguard are all great reliable choices. I'm a Remington fan but I've broken extractors, a bolt handle, and had feeding issues and I just couldnt trust one on an expensive hunt. Same goes with Savage, they make a accurate rifle but I wouldn't trust the accutrigger to perform when I need it.

Well the 30-06 seems to be quite popular. What is the effective range for this round? I have some time to really think this through. My first hunt is may for merriams turkey in Nebraska. Which I'm using shotgun and my bow. The year after will be either antelope or muley. If anyone has an outfitter they recommend id like to check them out.

I used to shoot .308, then switched to the .260 because I firmly believe it uses the case capacity at least as well as any other that's based on the .308.

I used to answer your question with ".30-'06", then switched to .280 Rem for the same reasons I chose the .260. I also like Hornady's "Custom" and "Superformance" hunting loads for the chambering.

The .280 shoots flatter, recoils less, and delivers better performance bullet weight for bullet weight than the .30-'06. I guess effective range would vary by game size and configuration, but I'd not be willing to stand out there and get shot at by one well out to and beyond 1000yd. I think a light varmint weight barrel of 24" or more length should deliver the chambering's true potential.

Yes, the .270 ammo is easier to find. I just happen to like the .280's bullet selections more, and how they perform as handloads.

I have handloaded Nosler 120, 140, and 150gr Ballistic Tips and like their accuracy. I think the 160gr Partition and Accubond would make excellent longer distance hunting loads for tough game.

Greg

I killed 6 animals last week while hunting in the Republic of South Africa with 6 shots from a .30-06: Baboon, Blue Wildebeest, Gemsbuck, Impala and 2 Warthogs (writeup pending).

None required a tracker, Blue Wildebeest and Impala ran the furthest, 30 and 20 yards respectfully. I was using handloads with 180 Nosler Partitions. Furthest shot was on the Gemsbuck at 80 yards through the brush. I was impressed with the performance.

Three of the Professional Hunters in camp carried .30-06 for their light rifle.

Good luck

Jerry

Hard to beat the old tried and True 30-06.. Best thing is that you can find ammo at practically anywhere for it..

I suggested the 06 and 7 mag for general use, but don't overlook somewhat larger cartridges. I have several 06s, 270s, etc, but rarely use them. I have used a pre-64 Model 70 in .338 Win Mag and an old FN Mauser in .375 H&H for everything for the past 5 years. Yes, they are more powerful than necessary, but they are a joy to shoot and are examples of old craftsmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuke Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the 30-06 seems to be quite popular. What is the effective range for this round? I have some time to really think this through. My first hunt is may for merriams turkey in Nebraska. Which I'm using shotgun and my bow. The year after will be either antelope or muley. If anyone has an outfitter they recommend id like to check them out. </div></div>

I have killed deer with almost everything from .223 to 300WM. Nothing killed them any deader than a 30-06. I do know a 308 XP pistol will kill hell out of a 750lb Elk so a 30-06 rifle should be no problem. I personally witnessed my late uncle kill a deer at just over 400yds with the '06, so I would say its efective range is farther than the average hunter needs to shoot any game animal. As I said I have hunted with many many cartridges and if I could pick one it would be an '06. If they carry ammo in any store the '06 is guaranteed to be on the shelf.

PS: I have owned a .280. Loved it. Never noticed it doing anything an '06 wouldn't. If you leave home and forget your ammo or it gets lost, etc you are likely shit out of luck.

You don't need a magnum. But if you get a 30-06 you could make it one.

since you are mentioning "outfitters" and the like, my first concern would be <span style="font-weight: bold">ammunition availability</span>. shit gets lost, wet, human factor.
second would be <span style="font-weight: bold">cartridge familiarity</span>. if you train with a .308 why not hunt with similar ballistic qualities?
it just makes sense.
third would be <span style="font-weight: bold">cartridge effectiveness</span>. will it do the job on the game I am seeking?

The most sense to me is a 30/06 or .308 for hunting- 308 for business.

If you reload the advantages are obvious.
if you dont roll yer own yet, dozens of factory loads are available.

the 06 has a small advantage in ballistics but in the real world an elk wont know the difference between either when he gets hit by one.

Great scenario, I am jealous..
For me the caliber would be simple, my problem would be settling down and deciding on a NEW hunting rifle.
I think id go for a lightweight stupid priced custom rifle..

For the ranges that the average hunter in the US hunts all the calibers mentioned by all the other posters are excellent choices. I can tell you that projectile performance and shot placement have almost everything to with "it" so to speak.

I agree with Greg completely as he posted above and use a .260 in a rifle. I do 90+ percent of my hunting however with a .308 handgun with a single round of capacity. I can tell you that even at 250+ yards a .308 handgun is fine for the taking of large elk.

The argument for 30-06 is simple also. It is without a doubt one of the most versatile calibers on earth. With factory loads ranging from 110 grains to 220 grains available anywhere it is hard to beat if you don't hand load.

When I went on guided bear hunts I would bring my rem 700 in 30.06 because of ammo concerns. Like was said, you can get the ammo in any store on the planet.