• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All the scams in the exchange

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    The jibber jabbers must have stolen a pile of usernames and passwords.

watch your cod hole

and you should ask for a hostage photo with their id and talk to them before you send money. Luckily the scumbags don’t seem to have access to phones or have no English speakers to use.

I don't know if showing your face + ID is a good idea. Having that digital image floating around can be used by other scammers. None of these scammers appear to have the inventory. Asking for custom written notes + photo both together along with a short phone call is one way to confirm it's not stolen WTS photos.

I didn’t know this site offered two factor authentication until I saw another member post it yesterday. So I set it up, hope it helps….

I don't know if showing your face + ID is a good idea. Having that digital image floating around can be used by other scammers. None of these scammers appear to have the inventory. Asking for custom written notes + photo both together along with a short phone call is one way to confirm it's not stolen WTS photos.
    Yes. But for big items. The id gives you a address to send payment to and you can google that address name etc

and on that note. Anyone thar asks for money orders with tracking deserves extra suspicion. Because they can sit on the mailbox the day of delivery. (They have you send to a uninvolved third party’s house). <—. Should be able to wait there with a baseball bat and color the ground with them

Yes. But for big items. The id gives you a address to send payment to and you can google that address name etc

and on that note. Anyone thar asks for money orders with tracking deserves extra suspicion. Because they can sit on the mailbox the day of delivery. (They have you send to a uninvolved third party’s house). <—. Should be able to wait there with a baseball bat and color the ground with them
    I have always asked for an ID picture and never had any trouble. I've always given mine freely too when asked. It confirms the address you are sending to and who it is. If I am sending thousands of dollars, I'm going to need more than feedback to make sure the account holder is who I am sending it to. I don't see what the big deal is about this? Never had anyone legit have any issue what so ever with it either.

Similar thing is occurring over at M40rifle......not to as big a scale but still a member paying the price for an M24 trigger and getting scammed sucks.

Seems that scammers are taking advantage of a community that in my experience has been more legitimate in these type dealings than others.

Crime has come to Mayberry.

A photo with todays newspaper is usually a good indicator. I wouldnt show my ID on line.

Didn't somebody photoshop the serial number a while back on a supressor? the lengths these criminals will go to are long.
    My buddy used to require US postal money order because it became a federal offence to use it for a crime and he thought it would provide protection... but I think he over estimated that anybody in charge would give a shit. "Civil matter..."... lol.

I noticed SH will not always use an https connection. I wonder if someone has setup their own DNS that is skimming login info. Make sure in the address bar you see a little lock icon when you enter your password

Most of the scams would be done and gone if everybody agreed that to sell in the PX you have to be willing to do a video chat on one of the main services (skype, signal, facetime, element, zoom etc) with the buyer & seller.

Yes, I know technology is hard is the excuse folks use.

It's very hard to convincingly fake a video chat. Do a video chat with the seller & buyer and talk and inspect the item over video with the seller holding it and all that stuff. Confirm all details and payments verbally during the video chat, that they match any written communications.
    While not fool proof, it pretty much guarantees that the person selling the item actually has the item in their possession, and you can get a general feel for their character most of the time.

For sellers, also you can ask the buyer to go outside and chat in front of their house / work etc or whatever address you are shipping to and then you'll be able to confirm with a google / bing street view that that looks like the address in most cases, as well as getting an idea from the chat if it looks like you are selling to a legit person and not some 3rd party scam drop artist.

Skype will run on most platforms including PCs and Macs and Linux, as will Signal as will Element. If you both have iPhones, then use FaceTime.

Just about every cheap junky old android or iphone has a webcam and can do video conferencing, as do most tablets.
    For your PC or laptop if it doesn't have a camera, well that's $30 one time purchase for a webcam with microphone.

If the above became a rather hard fast rule, for anyone you didn't already know well and have verified dealings to all the same address / etc things with, most of the scam things would fade away because it's a lot more work. It's not totally fool proof, but it makes the bar for scammers rather high.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Had a guy send me youtube video of him shooting and a pic of his id, however, it was not him. Scammer was trying to send me a usps check which i denied. There were a few soft red flags until the last text and he was trying to get me to send money to another guy with zelle for a gun! I told him to fuck strait off and would never do something so stupid or put myself into a compromised situation in laying for a weapon for someone else!

more to it than that, but luckily i think everyone is a scammer till they ain’t. I can guarantee that guy would have scammed 3/4 the people he contacted, he was that good.

Had a guy send me youtube video of him shooting and a pic of his id, however, it was not him. Scammer was trying to send me a usps check which i denied. There were a few soft red flags until the last text and he was trying to get me to send money to another guy with zelle for a gun! I told him to fuck strait off and would never do something so stupid or put myself into a compromised situation in laying for a weapon for someone else!

more to it than that, but luckily i think everyone is a scammer till they ain’t. I can guarantee that guy would have scammed 3/4 the people he contacted, he was that good.
    Should have told him to “kindly fuck off”. He would likely understand that verbiage. 🤣

Should have told him to “kindly fuck off”. He would likely understand that verbiage. 🤣
    Yeah, after he stopped responding i beat up his text and called a few times. No voicemail allowed is another red flag, although olinknow people who dont have theirs setup(millennials).

Just need a picture of the item with a hand written paper with your handle, date and website/s you are selling on. If the person can not provide that, they don't have it to sell.

Reactions: Maggot and db2000
    I'm pretty much suspicious of everyone until they have proven that I should have a different opinion. Respect and trust are earned. I'll grant almost everyone basic human dignity and be polite until they show me that being polite with them is a waste of time. Even though I'll grant that basic politeness and dignity to people, they still have to earn trust and respect.

However, I won't send a photo of myself and a photo of my ID that could be used for identity theft because I have already been victimized by an identity thief once. Since I have become more "conservative" with sending out my personal information, I have not been victimized again.

However, I realize that I too have to earn respect and trust from people, so I'm not offended if someone wants some kind of verification that I'm uncomfortable with. Communication is the key and if someone wants to actually talk with me so they can get an overall impression of me, I'm fine with that. Even a photo chat where they can see the item and ask questions real time would be OK.

I understand that earning trust is a two way street.